Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Question on Vic Jr Edel heads

A quick lay out the situation:
My son has an 88 Mustang Gt with 5.0, in nice shape. He has a 351W he planned to build for the car with a 4.0 or 4.125 stroker crank (not sure of the bore until the engine is pulled appart). The plan was to build the stroker in the next year or two. We were looking at a goal of about 500 lb ft of torque from about 2000 to 5000 rpm (willing to give up on the bottom to achieve the top end). We were looking at Edel Vic Jr heads, as one option, but I don't know if they are up to the task - out of the box.

Question #1: are the Vic Jr heads out of the box, up to this task?

In the mean time, the 5.0 started leaking coolent into #2 cylinder and blowing compression into the radiator. OK this accellerated looking at options. Jegs has Edel head setting on the shelf. AFR seem to be a long lead time head, and I have read that springs on AFR are not the best. This might would limmit choices to Edel.

Other head suggestions welcome.

If the 5.0 head is cracked, we could use the heads off the 351 W for now (assuming they are ok) or go ahead and purchase the heads for the stroker now. Purchase the heads for the 400+ cid stroker, but stick them on the 5.0 for now.

Question #2: will the Vic Jr work on a 5.0 with the 5.0 intake, the shorty headers that are on the car, and all accessoriers bolt up?

Question #3: would the factory stock 5.0 cam and rollers live with the heavy valve springs that would come on the Vic Jr heads?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

The Vic Jr. heads should work fine for both engines and easily put out the power you are looking for in the new stroker. 302/5.0 and 351W engines take the same heads.
You will need to match up a cam to make it to the projected power levels, and probably use a Vic. Jr. intake but easily do-able with a quick call to Crane cams or Comp Cams. My 393 stroker should easily reach those levels with the Vic. Jr. heads, Weiand stealth intake, Comp Cams 294 XE cam, and Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers.

Keep in mind you will need to buy proper pistons with a dish in the stroker to keep the motor under 10.5:1 compression to be friendly to pump gas. This should require around a 20-22CC dished piston. Or just buy the whole rotating assembly complete from a reputable source and tell them what you are trying to do, including the CC of the head combustion chambers and they will do all the spec's for you. I've used ADperformance in the past and have been very happy with their knowledge, service, price, and quick turn around on parts. Brian at AD is a real knowledgable guy and easy to work with. They are also performance engine builders, so they really know what they are talking about and can answer just about any questions you may have.

BTW, the leaking coolant is probably just a blown head gasket. Should be a relatively easy fix unless you suspect you froze/cracked the block for some reason.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 01-03-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i would go direct to the afr heads, the springs will handle anything you want with a streetable build. but then you have to be concerned with p to v clearance, pushrod length and whatever else crops up. so you start mix'n and match'n and then it comes time to build the stroker and you have additional stuff you can't use.

i would fix what you have with a set of head gaskets and save the money. when it comes time to build the stroker have a plan and do it once, rotating assbly & heads together or shortblock or whatever.

just one idea.

good luck.

in addition, the boy might change his mind and want some kind of ricer rocket or some other thing and want the change. in the meantime fixing what you have will give him a taste of things to come and see if this is the flavor he is looking for.

Last edited by vector1; 01-03-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
in addition, the boy might change his mind and want some kind of ricer rocket or some other thing and want the change. in the meantime fixing what you have will give him a taste of things to come and see if this is the flavor he is looking for.
I should say that he will be 29 years old in a few days (I would never put 500hp in the hands of a yungster). He is single, makes more money than me, and changes cars frequently. He has had a new 2002 Mustang, 2006 Charger XRT-8, and Lincolns and Cady. He has a Navigator for every day, and recently purchased this 88 Mustang as a toy project. Something to take to the car shows with me, I suspect.

It always seems to bother him that my Cobra is faster than his ride. I suspet he secretly wants to build the stroker and later put it in a Cobra or Daytona, although the GT-40 is what really tickles his fancy.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
BTW, the leaking coolant is probably just a blown head gasket. Should be a relatively easy fix unless you suspect you froze/cracked the block for some reason.

Bob
I agree and hope that is it. It did push the liquid out until the top of the engine was dry. The temp sensor is in the water pipe going to the heater core well above the manifold, so it does not read engine temp when water is low. I'm not sure how hot the heads got. It went several miles, with no heat out the heater core. Weather was very cold 15 F so maybe not too hot. Intake was cold, when he got it home. Also we do not know the history on it. I have to say the head could be cracked. Good news is that the compression is decent.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

As threepeaks said, the Vic Jr. heads are just right for what you are planning... I have a set for my Windsor build, planning a 408 based on the Eagle rotating assembly.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you blew a head gasket to me. The Edelbrock Victor JR head will be big for the 302 but would work till you get the 351 stroker ready. The Victor JR heads will do what you want on the stroker. We keep them, AFR, Brodix and our new Keith Craft Signature heads in stock all of the time. Our new heads is the best package for 351 to 421 cibic inch street engines. They are comletely CNC ported and come in a 195CC and a 210 cc desgn. They are a 17 degree valve angle compared to the factror 20 degree angles but work with most all pistons up to about .650 lift. They out perform the Edelbrock Victor JR, AFR, Canfield, Dart and most other heads in this class of heads. The 195 CNC head are 1595.00 and the 210CNC heads are 1795.00 and they both come with 8mm valves and springs that will take .625 lift no problem. Just let us know if we can help. Thanks, Keith Craft

Last edited by Keithc8; 01-04-2009 at 01:43 AM..
Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Keith - and all.

Keith I was on your web site looking at your heads yesterday. Good to know you keep them in stock - I suspected you might. I didn't want to call until we firm up our plans, as we all suspect it is only a blown head gasket. Just wanting to start to understand the options at this point.

The prices you just quoted, is that per head or a set? Never mind I checked your web site again and see that it is a pair.

Would they (all the heads you listed) bolt on a stock 5.0 (I assume flat tops) and have plenty of valve clearance with a stock cam? It isn't very practical to check valve clearance with the engine in the car, when you have a bad back.

Last edited by olddog; 01-04-2009 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Never mind