Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default cal. emission legal ford shortblock?

Dear members.
Is there anyone that knows of a good powerful (350-400bhp) ford shortblock with the authentic looks of an original but that is confirm the Californian and therefor also the European EuroV norm.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but in California they will no longer go on the year of the block for emission purposes in a replica. At least that is what our BAR guy told us up here.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default explanation of question

My question is. What engine do you use if you want to legaly registor a kit cobra in California for they have the same pollution demands as here in Europe.
So I am looking for a ford V8 crate engine witch I can install in a Unique 289 fia witch will pas the emission "four gas" test.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The only way to pass the tailpipe test is to have all the smog equipment in place and functioning.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
That or be fortunate enough to get one of the SB-100 numbers. According to what our BAR man told us, the year of the block no longer works. If you use a 1960 block it still has to meet the emission requirements for the year the car was built. Now I don't know if that is true as it seems every person I talk to has a different answer.

Ron

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Coast High Performance has a CARB legal 347 stroker short block.

That is the only actually legal short block available.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by #142 View Post
My question is. What engine do you use if you want to legaly registor a kit cobra in California for they have the same pollution demands as here in Europe. So I am looking for a ford V8 crate engine witch I can install in a Unique 289 fia witch will pas the emission "four gas" test.
The gentleman is located in Europe. We here in California have a program available that allows 500 kit cars to be registered each year without current emission controls. If you do not get one of these 500 exemptions, then the kit car must meet current 2008 or 2009 emission standards.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

The answer to your question #142 is, the animal you seek doesn't exist. The only way to pass current smog regulations is with all the modern hardware. i.e. OEM fuel injection, computer, egr, cats, etc. All of it. Using a carburetor against current smog standards is a guaranteed fail. Buying a long block and then running around trying to acquire all the stuff required to allow it to pass smog would cost a fortune and then might not pass anyway because you didn't get something right. The most cost effective way to approach this is with a good donor that was running and registered prior to hitting that tree. You could rebuild the engine if necessary and keep everything basically stock (you could probably upgrade to Ford X heads without upsetting the smog gods) and be on your way for reasonable $$.
Frank

Last edited by Frank Messina; 01-20-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default thanks for the info

I thank all of you how posted a reaction. I think I will have to go with a newer engine than it will distroi underbonet looks but I plan to do the rest according to the original specs of an 298 fia.
So I will look for a 5.0 crammer with its original 5 speed manual box for I hate to think of a GM unit. I even rather go for a Toyota V8.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by #142 View Post
My question is. What engine do you use if you want to legaly registor a kit cobra in California for they have the same pollution demands as here in Europe.
So I am looking for a ford V8 crate engine witch I can install in a Unique 289 fia witch will pas the emission "four gas" test.
The difference between Europe and California may be that California offers a number of waivers (SB100) each year for kit cars, and it appears that your country in Europe does not. Those cars that receive a waiver (easy to get) do not have to comply with California's normal pollution requirements.

Every Cobra replica owner I know - or have heard - of in California has an SB100 waiver, meaning they never had to deal with the problem in the way you are trying to.

There is an England Club forum on this site. You may try to IM some of its members and see if they have any experience closer to home that may help.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoochka View Post
The difference between Europe and California may be that California offers a number of waivers (SB100) each year for kit cars, and it appears that your country in Europe does not. Those cars that receive a waiver (easy to get) do not have to comply with California's normal pollution requirements.

Every Cobra replica owner I know - or have heard - of in California has an SB100 waiver, meaning they never had to deal with the problem in the way you are trying to.

There is an England Club forum on this site. You may try to IM some of its members and see if they have any experience closer to home that may help.

Good luck.

Again......

The only CARB LEGAL shortblock available is the Coast High Performance Street Fighter.

http://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/1...f-f347e-sb.htm

While you do have to run a CARB legal head and intake...along with everything else required in your car...you will pass California smog. I did a magazine article a few years ago with this SB and legal bolt ons that made 410 at the flywheel.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
Again......

The only CARB LEGAL shortblock available is the Coast High Performance Street Fighter.

http://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/1...f-f347e-sb.htm

While you do have to run a CARB legal head and intake...along with everything else required in your car...you will pass California smog. I did a magazine article a few years ago with this SB and legal bolt ons that made 410 at the flywheel.
Mark,

This still wouldn't fly. You can't smog by the block in California anymore. If you register a special construction vehicle in CA, it will have to meet all of the smog specifications/requirements for the year it is registered (i.e. catalytic converters).

The CHP website indicates that the motor is "perfect for a late model Mustang slated for daily use. Best of all, this short block is 50 state legal for emission controlled 1988-1995 Ford Mustangs originally equipped with 5.0L V8 engines!"

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 01-26-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The OP has clear alternatives to explore. The rest of us should remain seated.

The Obama administration announced today a review of legislation (rejected by the Bush admin) which would allow Kalifornia and other interested states to formulate their own, stricter emmissions standards.

Wouldn't rush out to change/build anything just now...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
The OP has clear alternatives to explore. The rest of us should remain seated.

The Obama administration announced today a review of legislation (rejected by the Bush admin) which would allow Kalifornia and other interested states to formulate their own, stricter emmissions standards.

Wouldn't rush out to change/build anything just now...
The new legislation targets the emission levels of production cars. Some manufacturers (i.e. Honda/Acura products) will have no problem meeting the tougher emmission standards.

In the short term, this wouldn't have any impact on registering cars under SB100 in CA. Long term...who knows.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm aware that applies to production cars.
BUT.
Empowering states (especially KA and NY) to set their own agendas on anything is never beneficial to enthusiasts.
JMO .02c
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Besides if each state can set their own emission standards, how do you think it is going to affect the price of a new car. And if you move to California from another state, then is your car going to be illegal because they have a different standard?

Ron

Old 01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Mark,

This still wouldn't fly. You can't smog by the block in California anymore. If you register a special construction vehicle in CA, it will have to meet all of the smog specifications/requirements for the year it is registered (i.e. catalytic converters).

The CHP website indicates that the motor is "perfect for a late model Mustang slated for daily use. Best of all, this short block is 50 state legal for emission controlled 1988-1995 Ford Mustangs originally equipped with 5.0L V8 engines!"
He asked for a CARB legal short block...in Europe...it fills that bill.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Mark,

When I registered my Backdraft car in California....it took seven months.....they didn't care what engine was in it and it had only a PCV valve.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Besides if each state can set their own emission standards, how do you think it is going to affect the price of a new car. And if you move to California from another state, then is your car going to be illegal because they have a different standard?

Ron

We had a long conversation about this. I think that the car companies would end up building all cars for the strictest state.

If they have to meet 50 different emissions standards, they would become smaller car companies even faster than they are now.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
I think that the car companies would end up building all cars for the strictest state.
Great. That means you pay more for your new car even though your state may not require the emissions h'ware.

What Ron said x2.