Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default MSD is it worth it?

Thinking about changing over from a HEI distributor (Ford 302) to a MSD system. HEI is showing wear after about 5000 miles, and not sure of the brand. I've searched here on the forum and see people have had a lot of problems to the point they carry backup pieces and systems with them. The cost difference is about 3 times the price not including the spare pieces. What are your impressions as to the added performance, if any, and the reliability. Not looking to race down the 1/4 mile but don't want to break down or have to be troubleshooting this thing constantly either.
Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Most of the distributor issues I see are manufactured defects that take a while to show up. I have also seen MSD stuff cave in.

Mallory has a few neat mag breaker designs that work with the MSD boxes well and allow a .044+ plug gap and better power and fuels use.

how is your 302 setup>?

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Panavia
Right now its a one wire hookup using an HEI distributor. Not my choice, thats why I want to change it.

I'm surprised only 1 reply....I guess no one uses MSD's.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure what the ratio is regarding the % of Cobras using a Ford Duraspark vs an MSD. But if you were to do a search on this thread for ignition problems, you would find 15 MSD problem posts for every one Duraspark problem. Is the % usage that much ... 15 to 1 ???

I doubt it. If you are not racing the Cobra, go get another inexpensive ignition. Ford designs parts with reliability/durability as the #1 issue. MSD and other ignition manufacturers have reliability well down the list. They stress "sex" (billet, shiny bits and pieces), power, adjust-ability for racing, etc.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     

I've ran MSD dist, 6AL box and coil for years on a heavily modified SBC in a '55 Bel Air with no issues. So, I've picked up a MSD dist for the stroker FE I'm building for my FFR roadster. Haven't picked up the box and coil yet, but will soon. You can find pretty good deals on MSD on ebay.

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

Most MSD products are made by chicoms yet have built in america prices. I have had some reliability issues with MSD products but nothing unreasonable.

The best part for me is the ability to get a fairly rowdy cam to idle at a very low speed. I have only been able to achieve this with the multi-spark devices.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

I too had an issue with MSD acouple of years ago. A part inside the distributor just fell a part. I called MSD as it was still under warranty, and got nothing but a run around. They wanted the defective part to send to their engineering dept, and if they found it defective they would replace, plus shipping; time about 2 weeks from they received the part. The replacement part was about $7.00 as I recall from Summit with delivery in several days, and I got a FREE cap. I later switched over to an ACCEL and no problems since. MSD's customer service leaves alot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.
TL
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I have heard a fair amount of problems with the MSD Distributors but not much from the other MSD components.

I have the original Ford dual point, although the points have been replaced with the PerTronix solid state ignition, and I run the MSD 6AL box with MSD blaster coil. No problems at all in about 4000 miles of driving with any of the MSD pieces I have.

I also did a touch test on the top of my distributor when timing once. I must have had a leaky plug wire because it shocked the hell out of me Yep that extra voltage is present!

Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
heavy hauler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley stroked 342
Not Ranked     

I have MSD on my car and if I did in again NO MSD to many little gliches,
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

I've got about 20,000 miles on my MSD distributor & MSD Digital 6 box. As preventive maintenance I replaced the cap & rotor about 5,000 miles ago. Trouble-free for me.

Z. Ray
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueoo7 View Post
Thinking about changing over from a HEI distributor (Ford 302) to a MSD system. HEI is showing wear after about 5000 miles, and not sure of the brand. I've searched here on the forum and see people have had a lot of problems to the point they carry backup pieces and systems with them. The cost difference is about 3 times the price not including the spare pieces. What are your impressions as to the added performance, if any, and the reliability. Not looking to race down the 1/4 mile but don't want to break down or have to be troubleshooting this thing constantly either.
Thanks
There are some nice performance HEI replacement distrbributors. If your 302 is close to stock this might be a good way to go. Some of these units offer adjustable advance curves which might allow you to get a little better performance from your motor.

If you have a higher compression motor, buzz it to RPMs above 5,500 alot, or are using nitrous, turbos, or a supercharger, then you should consider a full-blown setup from someone like MSD. I have MSD distrbutors, boxes, coils, and wires on two pretty radical street driven motors (one blown and injected, the other a 482 ci injected stroker). I've found MSD's stuff to be top notch from a performance and reliability point of view IF the parts are properly installed. I like the MSD billet distrbutor, their Digital-6 Box and their small blaster SS coil for a hot street setup. I have not had any problems with the MSD systems on either car. Check out my gallery for some pictures of this stuff if you're interested.

- Fred
Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I've used MSD boxes for about 20 years but never one of their distributors. Out of 4 different cars and MSD6ALs that I've used I've had one go bad and it was replaced by the shop where I bought it. I'll be using a Mallory breaker type dis with MSD box on the 463 that I'm building for my Cobra now.

Steve
Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

When you send something to MSD always put a small marking on it. we have sent back many items only to find out they have secretly replaced something and sent it back to us saying "Try it again" --

they are switching parts about. -- the Spark boxes seem to be OK, the distribs though seem to be hit and miss.

Ford - or Mallory for me.

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com