Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Small Block Question

I am thinking about building a 289 slabside as close to the original specs as I can. I currently run a SPF and have always liked the smaller version. I lived in the UK for almost 20 years and really liked the HAWK version, but did not like the MGB components.
I am looking for information on engine size. Should I run a 302 based engine (stroked or not) or move up to the 351 W (stroked or not) I want to run a TKO 600 behind what ever I choose.
Now to the question. A buddy of mine says FASTCO makes good motors and bang for the buck is pretty good. I know I can go with Ford Racing, Roush, RDI, KC and countless others. What are your feeling on FASTCO engines? Any experience?

Any help will be appreciated

Goober
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

If you want it as close to original specs as possible, the 351W is out.

I would use a 331 or 347. It will look the same as the original 289, but have more displacement and more power. More power is more better.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

If you don't like the MBG front suspension, take a look at ERA's 289 FIA. Still has the svelte body of the 289 slabside, but with the wide rear hips of the 427.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 02-12-2009, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default agree with Doug..,

Goober,

I have an ERA 289 FIA. The slab side has always appealed to me, and back in 1997 the ERA FIA car was about as close as I could get with a good chassis...no regrets!

The engine is a 6-bolt 1965' 289" block that is stoked out to 347" so running a 351" would only make sense to me if you stroke it out over 390'+...otherwise save the weight and go with a small block, 289 or 302.

I am not sure that a 351" would be noticeable to anyone other than a Cobra fan...it is about +/- 0.8" taller, more or less, and I wanted to run a high-rise manifold with out a hood scoop...actually, there is lots of room to spare with the Weiand Stealth manifold, so I could have run a stoked 351"...but had another 70-90 lbs or so...I am assuming aluminum heads and iron block...

The car now has 13500 miles, no problems, on the road since 2003... some track time, about 10 events, and has never had a car related problem...if it wasn't for Holley, no problems...and those aren't that bad.

A well sorted out machine with endless support?..the only "slab-side" I am aware that is a car I would want is the Kirkham 289"...out of my price range, but I am happy were I am.

Have fun.
ERA 289 #2027
Old 02-13-2009, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

If your only issue with the Hawk was the MGB suspension, you might want to check them out again. They have a new independent suspension set up that is supposedly not based on the MGB componenets anymore.

I also have the ERA 289FIA with a 1965 289 only stroked to 331. It has all the power and performance I need. I originally intended to use the 351 but switched to save the weight and for more originality. It also helped in the title and registration process that the engine was 40 years old.

BTW -- The "hips" on the FIA are not as wide as the 427 and are blended at the front (by the doors) better than the 427.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

If you need to find a replacement for the MGB front suspension....check out www.fastcarsinc.com. They replaced my MGB with the fastcars unit and it drives beautifully. I have some pics posted in my gallery.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the replies. Good suspension upgrades.
How about the original question about FASTCO engines?
Any takers?

Mark
Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
How about the original question about FASTCO engines?
Any takers?

Mark
have a read here - remembering there are two sides to every story

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/snake...tml#post286600
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mate, boy was that some reading. Not really sure who's right or wrong. Probalby several sides to this story. Guess for the main part I'll stay away from Fastco.

Thanks for all the replies

Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Thanks Mate, boy was that some reading. Not really sure who's right or wrong. Probalby several sides to this story. Guess for the main part I'll stay away from Fastco.

Thanks for all the replies

Mark
hi mark..... if i was you i would stay WELL CLEAR of fastco
i am the person (among many others)on the above site who have been well and truely ripped off!! there are NO 2 sides to this story.. the evidence is in black and white!! if you need any questions answered, i will be happy to help!
good luck
tony
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK, 351C T5WC
Not Ranked     

More here http://snaketorque.co.uk/index.php?topic=3075.0 The guy can't remember if he supplied an Internal or External balanced crank
Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

So, "numbers". Mine is a Roush 427IR which started life as a 351 Dart block. Is this a small block or "mid block"? I always thought the small blocks were the 289s (<300. I thought the big blocks started with the 390s). Old memories from the 70's. Don't ask.

I don't care. It rocks.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Goober
The Hawk is available with a Jaguar rear end 2.88-3.77 ratios and a custom front end with custom brakes and suspension. Talk to Gerry Hawkridge he a very nice guy and can advise you well.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Diecast for now
Not Ranked     

Shelby also offers a Slabside as CSX8000
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ...
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Munroe View Post
Goober,

I have an ERA 289 FIA. The slab side has always appealed to me, and back in 1997 the ERA FIA car was about as close as I could get with a good chassis...no regrets!

The engine is a 6-bolt 1965' 289" block that is stoked out to 347" so running a 351" would only make sense to me if you stroke it out over 390'+...otherwise save the weight and go with a small block, 289 or 302.

I am not sure that a 351" would be noticeable to anyone other than a Cobra fan...it is about +/- 0.8" taller, more or less, and I wanted to run a high-rise manifold with out a hood scoop...actually, there is lots of room to spare with the Weiand Stealth manifold, so I could have run a stoked 351"...but had another 70-90 lbs or so...I am assuming aluminum heads and iron block...

The car now has 13500 miles, no problems, on the road since 2003... some track time, about 10 events, and has never had a car related problem...if it wasn't for Holley, no problems...and those aren't that bad.

A well sorted out machine with endless support?..the only "slab-side" I am aware that is a car I would want is the Kirkham 289"...out of my price range, but I am happy were I am.

Have fun.
I have seen & heard Pete's car (but not driven) in person and it is Spectacular. Check out his pics.
-Mark