Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     
Default 351 not quite right

Fired my cobra for the first time this past week to results that were somewhat less than hoped for.

The motor is a 351 windsor that I had built for the car. 375 hp. 400 Torque. The motor was run in on the dyno and adjusted for best performance.

Now almost 3 years later I fired it up in the car for the first time. Exactly the same as on the dyno except Ignition Box. I dont know what was used then but I have a MSD 6AL in it now .

Motor fired up right away. Ruff idle around 1200rpm. A lot of sputtering and popping though and not able to take a blip of throttle. Messed around for a bit but nothing helped. Shut motor off and adjusted the idle up a few turns. Motor poped off and ran beautiful at about 2500rpm. If you blipped the throttle it was responsive but I had the 3000 rpm chip in it so it only reved 500rpm. Tried to back idle off to a propper setting and the motor would go back to its old ways under 2000rpm.

Played with the timing and that didnt seem to help. The car has the Holley on it that it was dynoed with no settings changed. It was drained of gas when I got the motor but I now there was still a little in it that sat over that time.

Possible that there is some sticky, varnish, bad gas in the idle circuit that is causing the idle problem??

Any other sugestions???

Thanks Guys,

Aaron
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

First thing - change the spark plugs and see what happens.

Gas will varnish up in some places in 8 months, never mind 3 years.

Remove carb ... disassemble and let it sit in carb cleaner.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

sounds like idle circuit or low speed circuit in carb plugged up.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Squirt some carb cleaner into the 4 brass air bleed holes in tops of the venturies near the metering plated and bowl vents.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Try what Rick said. I had that happen to mine one Winter and it wouldn't run at all. The gas had caused varnish on the valve inside the bowl and once I got it cleaned everything was great.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys, got the carb off time to take it apart I guess. I am often humbled by how often I have to go backwards to make any progress on this car.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Focus on the metering plates and air bleeds, not much else to it. Drain old fuel from tank and refresh if you haven't already done so.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowen Replicar 351C wish it ran :) Anxiously awaiting delivery of my Road Serpent :)
Not Ranked     

Like Warren said, "First thing check the spark plugs." I have really been burned on that. Then go to the carb

Rick
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

y only a 3000 chip?
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As for the 3000 chip, having never fired this engine since being installed in this car I just thought that limiting the motor to 3000 rpms might ensure nothing too bad happening.

As for the carb, which is a 750cfm Holley 4160, when I started taking it apart I noticed that none of the float bowl bolts seemed like they were tight, not even snug.

I read a post somewhere about the 4160 being a pretty good carb and pretty simple with the one drawback being they dont store well. Something about the gaskets shrinking and then they will not idle for crap. Sounded like my situation. That carb has not changed since the motor was broken in on the dyno so if the gaskets shrunk a little the bolts might seem less than snug now.

Guess its time to put it back on the car and see if things are better.

Thanks Again.