Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Ignition problem?

I've experienced a couple of incidences where after sitting in traffic for 10-20 minutes, my engine will die for a second under acceleration. It dies for a second just like the key was turned off and it immediately fires back up like nothing happened. The engine and oil temps are well in spec so I think vapor lock is unlikely. I'm running an MSD6A and blaster coil. They've got about 25k miles on them. Wiring looks good, nothing loose. It seems strange that it only occurs after a long traffic jam. What do ya'll think?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Time has a habit of taking it's toll on things.

Perhaps a renew of the ground connections to the ingnition box and coil would be in order.

Just a suggestion.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Have you tried blipping the throttle while setting at an idle and seeing if that will stop it from dieing when you start to accelerate? Also does how hard you accelerate have anything to do with whether it dies or not? And does it only do it after you have set at an idle for that long of a period?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have had the same problem at times, and for me it was fuel problems. Installed a clear fuel filter so I could see fuel flow. Have noticed lots of air bubbles under long idle periods. Went to a high volume pump and have found I have to be careful where I purchase fuel. Best of luck.

FST HSKR
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2459 460ci, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Tony,

I've had the same issue come into our shop a few times. Your discription makes it sound like it has to be an ignition problem. Although a lot of people install their MSD box in the engine compartment and never have problems with them, the box really does not like being in a heated environment. We generally mount them in the top of the footbox area inside the car. Go to the MSD website and go to troubleshooting to test the box. If the box test good, then you only have 2 other parts to fail, the pickup in the dizzy or the coil. It is most likely the coil. It should be an easy fix.