Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 289FIA #2064, '70 BOSS 302
Not Ranked     
Default 347 Crate Engine from T and L Engines

Hello All, I am looking at replacing my current engine with a 347 Crate engine and am looking at T and L Engine Development's 347 among others. If anyone has purchased one of their engines I would like to talk to you about the experience. I would be putting the engine in an ERA 289 FIA car. Please send me a private message. Thanks in advance for the help! Regards, Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Be careful who you deal with. I had a customer that came to us after waiting 6 months on these people. Would not return his phone calls or e-mails. They still have his 8000.00 deposit and will not return it so he has turned it over to his lawyer. We have already built his engine and delivered it in 4 weeks. Sometimes things that seem to be to good to be true are. I deal like this and I would not do business with these people. Good luck, Keith
Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Mike:

Kiethc8 has a very good reputation on this site.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I have one and I found T&L to be very easy to deal with, but I did go pick mine up as it was pre built. the shop was emaculate and he had 20 or so engines ready for shipment.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

I highly recommend Keith Craft for your motor - you have an ERA a great car - and it would be a shame to either wait a long time and not get what you ordered - and have a problem. With Keith Craft - you discuss your motor wants etc with real professionals, and they build WHAT YOU ORDER, no 'bait and switch', no use of cheap 'similar' parts etc. I spoke with a builder who purchased a T&L motor, and he said it was his last as they used a lot of cheap components, not what he expected. KC built my 331 stroker, I've got 4,000 miles on it in the past year, and I would not hesitate to order a 347 from them. Good luck. Rick
Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I believe by re reading his post that he was looking for advice on T&L, not advice on other engine builders
Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 347

you are correct ENTDOC

but as always, we on CC offer a lot of advise. Sometime not even related to the question asked.

I would buy a Keith Craft motor. You cannot go wrong with KC.

Dwight
Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

If you do a search on the internet, you will find quite a few people who did not have the best experiences, I'll leave it at that.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I will limit my comments to T&L... we ordered one engine from them over 4 years ago. At that time we waited considerably longer than promised and did not receive the parts we paid for when we ordered. That engine had issues from the first fire and we did everything in our power to correct it before delivery. I don't know how the ultimate owner ended up, the car changed hands a few times.

It was the only time I had to consult a lawyer in the course of buying an engine. That should sum it up.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
Be careful who you deal with. I had a customer that came to us after waiting 6 months on these people. Would not return his phone calls or e-mails. They still have his 8000.00 deposit and will not return it so he has turned it over to his lawyer. We have already built his engine and delivered it in 4 weeks. Sometimes things that seem to be to good to be true are. I deal like this and I would not do business with these people. Good luck, Keith
If you are building engines, why would you? I guess they are guilty of over promising and under-delivering? Perhaps by deleting components from pricing or using lesser parts and equating them to higher quality / more expensive components... it happens. That's what competing on price alone brings.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ENT Doc, he said he is looking at motors and evaluating T&L "among others". Same process I went through when my ERA was on order. I also evaluated T&L, among others, and I chose Keith Craft due to a reputation for quality and integrity, vouched for by people like the Kirkhams. I came across several negative comments re T&L. I don't believe it anything unusual to pass on a positive comment and give another cobra owner/builder the results of one's own research on the identical topic.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: unique 427 302/300hp t/5
Not Ranked     
Default engines

I thinks we need a bloody mary.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Why not pick a local shop to help you >? -- I am sure in san diego you can find a machine shop that can help you.

There are many retailers of engines , near and far -- leave your options open. -- review customer referrals , etc.

Remember there are people who will give good honest referrals , and there are Trolls.

Meet up with your local shelby club guys, compare notes, call, interview, go visit the shops.

ask questions , geek out .

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garcia, I am up for a Saturday morning run if you and Joe are ready!! Went to a couple of car shows in Deland over the week end - a lot of rods and a couple of Shelby GT Mustangs but no cobras.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

After reading all the good and bad posts regarding T&L engines I can sum it all up in one sentence.

"BUYER BEWARE!"

I have read as many negative threads about T&L as positive. 50/50.

Not my kind of odds!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 289FIA #2064, '70 BOSS 302
Not Ranked     
Default Great Feedback!

Hi To All That Replied.
Great response and advice! That's why we use this forum - lots of experienced users. I have the information I was looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Regards, Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Friend of mine sent Money for Engine to be build on Feb.6th.
Delivery promised within 8 weeks at the latest.
They don`t answer the phone and only every 5th mail containing some more empty promises.
No sign of the engine as of today, May 4th!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default T&L, Too Late

Per the original thread topic regarding T&L. DO NOT BUY FROM T&L. My engine was built fairly quickly, final payment was made, then all responsiveness from T&L ceased. It took 6 weeks for them to crate and ship. After it arrived damaged (they do not know how to package) they refused to fix it until they could get settlement from the shipper. Of couse, that did not happen. So now it is 6 months since my engine completed and I do not have the completed, finished product. T&L can be your nightmare too. All you have to do is sent them a down payment to start your horrible experience.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 393w
Not Ranked     

I've been told to stay away very far away from these guys. Hard to get hold of when you have problems etc. Thats why I built my 393w myself. with all the machine work parts and my labour it came to just under 5000.(thats drop in ready to run with flywheel)
Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update:
no sign of engine until today, july 3th, 5 months after payment!
Got them on the phone several times in the last 3 weeks.
June 16th:
"yes, motor is being put on the dyno this moment, will be wrapped and shipped in 3 days at the latest"

June 23th:
"Motor is finished, has to be cleaned. Dyno video will be cut and link will be sent within 1 day, shipping in 2 days"

July 1st:
"Detected a leak in the motor, has to be sealed again...
Ready for shipping early coming week!"

There still is no link to the dyno-video as of today.

So build your own opinion of that company!