Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Performance Cars Venom 427 Keith Craft 408 Stroker
Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo
Not Ranked     
Default Sudden Rough Idle Syndrome.

Here's the scenario: Cobra sits for about 3 months without being started. First startup: runs exactly the way it did last summer. Idles perfectly. After about 45 miles through second tank of gas (about 200 miles of driving this season), car goes in garage. Next morning, start it up, idles low and rough. I turn the idle speed screw just to keep it running, and drive it at highway speeds, where it seems OK, normal power etc.

After getting to my destination, I put the idle screw back where it was, and investigate. Still with the rough idle and low idle speed.

Fuel Pressure (post filter) is 6+. Good. Float Levels good. Choke open at temp. Good. Didn't check fuel filter, it has a few thousand miles on it and it;s clearly not blocked.

Carb is Quick Fuel 780 (Holley 4150 style). MSD ignition.

My first guess is that I got some bad fuel. Or perhaps some debris got into the system. I'm not flooding, so I am guessing the needle valves are not the problem. Maybe somewhere in the metering blocks?

I think the ignition is OK, cause it starts right up, cap looks normal, plugs normal.

Anything seem obvious to anyone here? I might try some fuel additive before pulling the carb and cleaning it out.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Try two cans of dry gas. It's a start and a cheap possible remedy. You may have moisture in the tank that just got pulled up.
Also change the fuel filter.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You may want to spray some carb cleaner in the brass air bleeds at the top of the venturis.
Secondly be sure the mechanical advance is not hanging up, may need a little grease on the flyweights.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Check for a vacuum leak or a blocked PCV?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First thing I checked was the advance. It was all good in there. I have a rule: all problems are caused by some failure in the MSD distributor until proven otherwise

I will try the dry gas and the carb cleaner in the air vents, and check for vacuum leaks and report back.

Thanks as always!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Before storage did you use a gas stabilizer? If not it is possible you have some shellac type substance clogging the carb. from the de stabilization of old gas.

Carb. may need rebuild...try some carb cleaner like seafoam in the fuel and run a few new tanks thru it and see if it cures the issue.

Marc
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Possible piece of gunk in one of the idle mixture screws. Pull and blow passage out with carb cleaner.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Last weekend I had a sudden lack of engine performance too. When I would blip the gas on down shifts the engine would bog. It happened right after a fresh tank of Sunoco 93. I ran through that tank (one day of spirited driving)and got an new tank of gas from a different Sunoco and she purrs like a kitten again. The towel heads that took over the gas station (coincidence I doubt it) where I got the bad gas may have swapped out for the 89 garbage or had water in the batch.

Do the cheap stuff first, its usually something stupid and simple.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I now have sudden idle improvement syndrome...

Heres what happened this time: Car sits in parking lot all day. I go out, start the car up, experiencing about the same problems. As I am warming the motor up preparing to GTFO the revs fly up to the rev-limit... the accelerator got tangled up in the floor mat (bye bye floor mat). I kill the motor, no harm done. Start up again, problem gone.

I am thinking that Jim may have hit the right answer, a piece of crud (maybe broken off varnish) in the idle mixture circuitry. If it was a bad load of fuel, I doubt gunning the motor would have made a difference.

I am going to run a batch of SeaFoam through the fuel system to take care of any residual crud. At the end of the season, I'll do the Crankcase and the Intake manifold as well, change the oil, and put some Lucas stabilizer in the fuel tank.

Thanks again everybody, informative as always.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

This happened to me two weeks ago and I diddled with the carb for a while...Tried everything, richer, leaner, reset the choke but nothing made a difference...it idled badly and didn't 'sound' right. It ran dreadfully at low revs, but OK at above 2500 other than the odd 'miss' when I stabbed the gas hard.

Turned out for me that I had a broken push rod and NO compression in Cylinder 2...

Hope you don't have the same!

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"