Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default oil has slight smell of fuel

what would cause the oil tohave a slight smell of fuel?

carb dumping too much fuel? carb not properly set?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

maxum 101

If you have a stock mechanical fuel pump, the diaphram could be bad letting fuel drip into the oil pan.

Do not drive or start this vehicle until you find out what this is.

Terry
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Drain and replace the oil and filter without fail, for no other reason that the fuel will compromise the lubrication qualities of the oil, and risk damage to the bearings. Its possible that as mentioned fuel may be entering via the fuel pump or what is more common is that the carb is set up rich and unburnt fuel is getting past the rings, check the color of the plugs.

As an example: I'm sure this is not the case with your particular car but once I was witness to a fellow doing a Tune-up on a 3 or 4 year old 74 Torino with a 351 that had been badly neglected as far as routine maintinence goes. This guy was sort of a crusty guy, you know the type: Burley chested, heavy smoker, wearing coveralls in his late 50's or early 60's. Well, while he was working under the hood with the car idling the fuel in the crancase oil ignihted and literally exploded with enough force to tear the sheet metal valve covers loose from the surrounding bolts that hold them on, same thing for the pan and several of its bolts. It rung this guys bell so hard he left for the rest of the day. You do NOT want to ever experience this.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 06-19-2009 at 12:43 AM..
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

or a leaky carb or heat situation that has the fuel going down the intake with the car off. - ricks point on the oil is a good one, you dont want to bathe the bearings in gasoline diluted oil .. very baaaaddd.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

first check the diaphram in the fuel pump. it is a direct link between the oil & gas

________
Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
first check the diaphram in the fuel pump. it is a direct link between the oil & gas.
Yep, my money's on the fuel pump. BTW, this is another example of why you should send in an oil sample -- to check for coolant and fuel in the oil. Coolant, of course, should not be in the oil at all, and fuel levels you should be under 1 or 2 PPM. Here's a typical report with the coolant and fuel report at the very bottom.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the posts

whats involved in removing the fuel pump? do i need to get a new gasket or anything like that. anything to watch for when removing it or putting it back?

i figure ill start with checking for a leaking diaphram first.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

two bolts & the in and out fuel lines

________
Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

It's an easy job, but I didn't see what kind of engine you have. Here's a pic of mine on the side of my FE. You just unbolt it and pull it out. Now, on the off-chance that you have an electric fuel pump, don't go to the trouble of messing with it.