Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     
Default 289 crankshaft bushing

If anyone can help on this ... it will be greatly appreciated . A friend of mine bought a 289 for his street rod and needs the part number for the bushing/bearing that goes in the end of the crank that the transmission shaft rides in . All my info is for FE engines .

Thanks !

Bob
Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

They are readily available at Kragens, Pep Boys, or any parts house. An upgrade that can also be utilized it the roller bearing used in the crank odf a 5.0 Mustang with manual trans.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

1967 289 ; TIMKEN Part # PB50F pilot bushing.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help guys !!!

Bob
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

If you choose to run a needle roller bearing as an upgrade to the OEM bushing I feel it must be checked for proper alignment. The old bronze / oil-lite material does not seem to be affected if slight machine tolerances or ?? exist. On the other hand the bearing type bushings insist everything is right.

Not to say cutting corners or not checking things is acceptable. I am saying an oil-lite bushing is more forgiving and other than just worn out I have never seen them cause a failure. I run them in my alky funny car with a JP1 engine over a needle bearing. Lots of ways to skin a cat, whatever works for you.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff ... I understand what you`re saying ... and agree . I run the bronze bushing in my 427 Galaxie , but have a roller bearing in my Cobra . So far , both are fine .... however , the one in the Galaxie is going on almost 8 years and the Cobra one about 6 months . Maybe someone else can expand on something . I was told somewhere along the line that Tremec preferred the roller bearing over the oil lite bushing as it would keep the transmission shaft in position better as time went on ??

Bob
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Bob,
When somebody tells me their roller bearing set up is 8 years old I will be a happy camper. Jeff C
Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Mine roller bearing (5.0 type) has been in since 1990. I am not a high mileage driver bit it has been maintenance free up to this point. I run a T10 4 speed transmission and 289. I have also seen a double shielded ball bearing used.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-21-2009 at 12:30 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My roller bearing (5.0 Mustang type) has been in since 1990. I am not a high mileage driver but it has been maintenance free up to this point. I run a T10 4 speed transmission and 289.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

I put the bearing in my 289. Have 25,000 miles on it so far no problems.

Z. Ray
Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've had a roller type in my Mustang for 7 years, and never worried about it...'till now. I have a T5 with an OEM type bellhousing. I've never had allignment issues with this set up, but I constantly hear of issues with aftermarket bellhousing. I wonder if that has some impact.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

not quite on topic, but I've never understood why the after-market bell housings don't fit as easily as the Ford units?

Z. Ray
Old 07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My guess is that they are probably pressed formed with no post operation to true them up. Any machine work may weaken them due to the realitively thin wall thickness. Obviously they still have an advantage over cast aluminum in stopping an exploding flywheel, but have their trade offs too.

I'm interested to see if those who have had trouble with needle bearings were running stock bellhousings or aftermarket.