Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Size of fuel filter?

Would like to know what the rest are using. What size, type and what micron filtering? I'm using a Barry Grant 185 pump and have tried 3 different in line filters from Jegs, Summit and Earls similar to these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-230101/
Filter is inline before the pump.
They tend to start plugging up after about 500 miles or so and then I lose pressure from the pump (normally 7lbs down to 1lb) When I pull them apart they are dirty so I'm thinking I need more surface area.
If I can get it to fit, will be trying to put this in place of the others:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1503/

Also I don't buy my gas from the same station everytime and I watch for the refilling tankers.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My car was built for the track and runs a much larger fuel filter than yours to meet the requirements of high fuel flows for extended periods. It has a replaceable filter element and is plumbed downstream from my electric fuel pump. Here's a link to it at Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRM-HPG1/
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Filters- Before/After Pumps

Here is some helpful info from the pros. Regarding particle size and surface area. Talk to them to get the right info.

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/tb.php?id=10

Modern FI cars use filter "socks" on the fuel pick-up tubes for the in-tank pumps. (nothing stopping us from using pick-up tube type "socks" when using in-line pumps either) and another filter pre-injector filter. The socks keep the big particles out and dont restrict flow (short of filling tank with topsoil). Many modern cars can go over 100K+ miles before a fuel filter (post pump) is clogged to the point of reduced flow/performance and needs a change, depends on design and amount of dirt sent into tank or corrosion by-products in your fuel stream.

Here is an example of in-tank fuel socks used in the 60/70's for pick-up tubes with external fuel pumps for use with a 3/8" pick-up tube, suitable for street use but not for racing however.

For even more options, NAPA has a big choice (241) of fuel pump strainers that you can connect to a pick-up tube in the tank with a little fab work.
http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...=0&Ntk=Keyword

Last edited by kitcarbp; 08-03-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Me thinks something is going on inside your tank...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

after you insert the http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRM-HPG1/ you will be able to unscrew it and see what is coming out of your tank.

Replacement filters (cartridges) are available for the HPG-1 (i call it the BFGF1)

So if filters are clogging it is not really a question of surface area, --in order to clog, - one must have stuff / particles to clog with.

So if you are getting fueled up at an ex-soviet fishing trawler station, I could understand the idea of dirty fuel.

But if you are at Sunoco, Union 76 etc, they should be filtering gas prior to your tank.

More than likely something is going on.

When we see cars (albiet vintage mustangs) we see the following ; (all true stories)

1. Did the car sit for a time, and the gas residue was dried to the bottom of the tank, along with dirt - and it is now loose.
2. Did you have control over the fuel tank opening at all times ; AKA gas melts small plastic action figures / plastic toys
3. was the inside of the tank rusty and is this rust now flaking off the walls into your fuel supply.
4. was their OLD gas at the bottom of the tank, that you added the new gas to and you have snotty chunks of dirty jellied gasoline in your fuel system now
5. did someone use non automotive grade rubber gaskets or hoses in an gasoline facing area that is now degrading disintegrating and polluting the gas supply.
6. did a small being (or group of beings) decide your tank was a "final calling". (hornets nest)
7, are you using filters that are of a good quality and they are constructed *not* to internally come apart themselves under flow>?
8. was the tank patched at some point and that patch is failing (examples : fiberglass patched fuel tank that was rusted, and a soldered tank where the solder was failing)causing things to come up.

-- hope you find it..

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 08-04-2009 at 01:43 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile dirt in tank

I think Cashburn is correct

Do you have a steel tank? Rust?

It sound like a lot of rust is in your tank. We have a local metal fab company that builds aluminum gas tanks for us. They charge $150 to $200 for a tank of our design that we can bolt in. All the bungs and fill tube are welded in place.

I run a 90's model Mustang 5.0 EFI filter, they very large.

Dwight
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Me thinks something is going on inside your tank...
exactly. the fuel filter clogging is just a symptom of the issue upstream. The biggest fuel filter made won't help as long as the debris is flowing. Get a good look into the tank and check for rust. Even if the tank is new it can rust.

Z. Ray
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

I wish it could be that easy. Its not the tank since its stainless steel. I did have a problem with the filler tube (up to the gas cap) that was steel and was rusting from the inside. Changed that out to aluminum, rubber hose attaches it to the tank. The two dissimilar metals are not in contact so theres no corrosion going on there either. Had the tank out and filled and flushed it with the hose twice, There are baffles in it so I couldn't get to the corners but I think I got everything (maybe not).
I think the problem lies within the inline filter. There is a flat pleated stainless steel screen inside of it about the size of a quarter (maybe 1" - 1 1/2" square). Filters down to 40 microns. I think at that size it doesn't take long to plug up, hence the question of what size is everybody else using?

Panavia
Pretty much no to most of your questions. The longest gas sits in the tank is over the winter but I use Stabil (marine grade) and the Startron additive specifically for the ethanol. No gunk in the tank that I can see at all. The only question that I'm not sure of is I used a cork gasket around the sending unit hole. I don't think thats a problem for gas because when I took it out the last time it was all still intact.

I don't know... but its very frustrating.

This new filter http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1503/
is supposed to be here tomorrow so I'll be trying to retrofit that in. Will try to keep it as low as possible so it will gravity feed itself to help the pump with the suction. Compared to the size of a quarter this should give me a ton more filtering area and hopefully a little longer driving time between filter chokings.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

We can discuss a little more at the next event. I think it is your tank.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC 427 S/C - 351w
Not Ranked     

One of my big fears is that vandals could put some dirt or worse in the tank since the LeMans caps are so easy to open and just look inviting. Is your car ever out of your sight since it just takes once to mess things up?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDenny View Post
One of my big fears is that vandals could put some dirt or worse in the tank since the LeMans caps are so easy to open and just look inviting. Is your car ever out of your sight since it just takes once to mess things up?
Backdrafts have a locking cap under the LeMans cap.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

when I take overnight trips I always ask the local Police Dept. if I can park in their parking lot overnight. They enjoy the view & I can sleep without concern. Thanks again to the Las Vegas, New Mexico PD

Z. Ray
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

When I purchased my 63 Mercury the guy told me he couldn't go more than 25 miles on a new filter without pluging up so he didn't drive it much. When I got it home I removed the tank and cleaned about a half gallon of crud,rust and other stuff out of the tank, I then ordered the kit from Eastwood to seal the tank, end of problem for over 10 years now. just my quarters worth. Carl
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8