Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#35, Ford Racing 302ci
Not Ranked     
Default New backdraft member and sb100 question

Hi guys (sorry to post in two different sites but I do not know where I should be posting)

I just pulled the trigger on Backdraft#35, the car is 11 years old but it has been taken care of, I am going to start the process of fixing all the blemishes to leave it the best I can.

The following question is more to California members

The car was sold to me with the SB100 certification, and the car has a 302 engine, now my question is, the SB100 shows the engine as a 4.9L in the sticker

Can I change the engine of my car or doing that somehow voids the SB100??

I ignore what happens every two years at the smog check, am I completely exempt or I still need to go and perform some kind of test? I registered the car at the AAA office and they did not require anything, the year in the title is blank.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralc View Post
Hi guys (sorry to post in two different sites but I do not know where I should be posting)

I just pulled the trigger on Backdraft#35, the car is 11 years old but it has been taken care of, I am going to start the process of fixing all the blemishes to leave it the best I can.

The following question is more to California members

The car was sold to me with the SB100 certification, and the car has a 302 engine, now my question is, the SB100 shows the engine as a 4.9L in the sticker

Can I change the engine of my car or doing that somehow voids the SB100??

I ignore what happens every two years at the smog check, am I completely exempt or I still need to go and perform some kind of test? I registered the car at the AAA office and they did not require anything, the year in the title is blank.

Thanks for your input.
I think the only way to void the SB-100 is to register it out of state.

You SHOULD be completely exempt... if your registration renewal says smog check required... something's wrong.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I think that's right. Other than the initial process, you shouldn't have to get the car smogged again.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, so do you think once I have a SB100 that specifies a 302 4.9lt engine I can put whatever engine displacement in it with no problems??

Also do you know why there is a trend now in cobra owners of installing the new coyote 5.0lt engine in their cars? I assume that by doing so then you will need catalytic converters, etc. or has nothing to do with it?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys, so do you think once I have a SB100 that specifies a 302 4.9lt engine I can put whatever engine displacement in it with no problems??

Also do you know why there is a trend now in cobra owners of installing the new coyote 5.0lt engine in their cars? I assume that by doing so then you will need catalytic converters, etc. or has nothing to do with it?
Yes, the reality is that you can put whatever engine you want in it once your car has been exempted and registered via the SB100/SPCNS program. However, I'm fairly sure the letter of the statute states the opposite (i.e., you cannot change a thing).

As for trends, yes there appears to be a few more Coyote engines being installed in Backdraft's. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a trend in other manufacturers such as Shelby, Kirkham, ERA, etc., more like an anomaly.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yes, the reality is that you can put whatever engine you want in it once your car has been exempted and registered via the SB100/SPCNS program. However, I'm fairly sure the letter of the statute states the opposite (i.e., you cannot change a thing).

As for trends, yes there appears to be a few more Coyote engines being installed in Backdraft's. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a trend in other manufacturers such as Shelby, Kirkham, ERA, etc., more like an anomaly.
You are correct, I have noticed it in Backdraft models, and yes it is not something I would like to do, I like the old fashioned look of the engine bay, but I was wondering if by doing so you are automatically in need of new emission components like cats etc.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd ask that question in the Backdraft forum. More than likely, the gentleman from Vintage Motorsport, a site sponsor, will answer your question since he has installed a bunch.

The other alternative is to search the Backdraft forum and you may find your answer(s) there.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

also, my car came with SB100, I was reading the SB100 process and it seems there is a certificate of sequence that the DMV mails to the applicants, which later take the car to the referee, where they get the BAR vehicle information label attached to the car.

the VIL has the SB100 sequence number, but the previous owner did not give me the certificate of sequence.

Do you guys have the Certificate of sequence? or the referee keeps it?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
also, my car came with SB100, I was reading the SB100 process and it seems there is a certificate of sequence that the DMV mails to the applicants, which later take the car to the referee, where they get the BAR vehicle infromation label attached to the car.

the VIL has the SB100 sequence number, but the previous owner did not give me the certificate of sequence.

Do you guys have the Certificate of sequence? or the referee keeps it?

Thanks
The original is kept by the referee. I kept a copy of mine.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The original is kept by the referee. I kept a copy of mine.
Thanks, I guess there is no copy of mine, but as long the label is there I am fine.
Thank you very much
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks, I guess there is no copy of mine, but as long the label is there I am fine.
Thank you very much
Once you have the permanent label affixed inside the engine compartment, then the certificate becomes unnecessary.