LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bringing out Cobra from long term storage

Hi Guys,

I have a 427 Mark III Cobra by Superformance. Has a 427 SR Rousch engine.
The car has been in storage for 12 months and I am looking to get someone in the Orange County area to give it the once over.

Can anyone provide recommendations? I used to have Danmar auto do it, but they have gone out of business.

Appreciate the help in advance.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby, 427FE stroked to 511 cid
Not Ranked     

I can highly recommend V's Performance in the City of Orange.

V's Automotive Repair & Performance | Home

Hope this helps.

John
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1) charge battery
2) turn key start engine
3) go for drive

don't make it more than it is
Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Might want to check the oil and water levels before you start but other than that go with MadMaxx' plan.
DonC
Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five with EFI 5.0 w/ other stuff bolted on
Not Ranked     

Pull the wire out of the coil and crank it over to prime the oil system. Then reconnect and have fun!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And one other fluid that would need attention after a year in storage is the gas. It would be good if not a lot was left in there before storage, and some type of stabilizer was used, especially if it was an ethonol blend. And maybe where you live in CA it is not in a humid environment where humid air would be venting in during the day and that humidity condensing on the cool walls of the tank at night. But regardless, put some fresh gas in the tank. Of course the amount may be dependent upon your driving plans, but as much as reasonably possible to dilute the old gas.

What was in your tank during that time is also in your carburetor. To make sure your carb will be getting gas to the engine, you may want to take the air cleaner off, open the choke so you can see the throttle plates and pull on the linkage a few times to make sure the interntal pump is squirting fuel in. This way, you will also know that you have gas present when trying to start it. I don't believe there would have been enough evaporation to empty the bowls and keep this from occurring, but if everything else looks OK pre-start, pouring a few dribbles of fresh gas into the carb wouldn't be a bad idea to get the engine going enough to get the carb refilled by the fuel pump.

As mentioned above, pulling the coil wire to prime with oil during starter rotation is better than just firing it up cold, as the engine will be turning slower with the starter. Granted, the oil pump is turning slower as well, but the conditions will be much gentler for an engine that has set for a year. Oil can only travel so fast through an engine, and the slower starter rotation will accommodate this. And of course, watch the oil pressure gauge immediately after start up. If you don't see oil pressure coming up, then shut it down and determine why not.

Checking brake and clutch fluid levels should be added to the list. Take the caps off to see if there is any evidence of moisture in there as well. And while you are under the hood, just check out the wiring or look for any sign of rodents (nest building, droppings) that may have wanted to call your car home for the year. With mild winters there, this may not have been a problem for you.

If you would like to consult with a shop, I would like to think that if you just call them up and describe your situation, a reputable shop would be glad to give their suggestions on what to check without you having to take the car in or have them make a house call, especially if they know they may get future business from you for more involved maintenance....or a free ride out of the deal for their time on the phone.

I realize all of this information isn't what you asked for, but I think we are all just trying to save you a few dollars, and help you see that you can do anything they can do in this situation.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra

Tags
cobra, mechanic, storage