Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 stock 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default SB-100 Help

I'm going for an SB-100 on Jan 2nd, as my FFR roadster complete kit will be delivered in Dec. I'm in Murrieta( So Calif ) and wondering if anybody had success with the DMV office in Temecula? Many have gone to San Clemente, Oceanside offices. Should I trust the Temecula DMV or go to San Clemente? Thanks, Jim
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile SB100 bypass

I am thinking of bypassing the SB 100 program. Today, I spoke to a referee at the DMV. He suggested that if my motor is a 60's version, smog doesn't mean anything. I should go to a DMV smog station, they will check my VIN for correct engine date, if good they will smog it for a engiine of the 1960's and give me a certificate. I then take that to the DMV and they will give me the plates. I will need to get smogged every two years, but I don't have to go through the SB 100 crap. Anyone else done this?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I think that it was possible to smog by the block in the past, but that is no longer the case. It's my understanding that your engine would need to meet the emissions requirements for the year of your build vs. the year of the block. The only other option is SB 100.

Here's a thread with some details:

Please sharpen your Calif Smog pencils!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 11-14-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Morgester has already confirmed that the BAR is no longer smoggin to year of block.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #293, 351W/382 cu.in./400hp
Not Ranked     

I picked up my SB100 this past January 2nd at the El Cajon DMV. It may be a long drive, but they were well organized and prepared for the call to Sacramento. They collected the paperwork for all that wanted the SB100 and made a single call to Sacramento. They speed dialed until they got through and got sequence numbers for everyone who was there when the DMV opened.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Once again, in California it is the year of COMPLETION OF THE ENTIRE CAR, not the year of the engine block, that determines your smog requirements.

If you completed your build prior to 1970, you are relatively safe from smog requirements.

If completed any time thereafter, you must meet that year's smog regulations OR get an SB100 exemption.

Any questions?

Now, go get in line!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 187 Prism Red w/Silver stripes; 427 stroker by Smeding Performance, Tremec TKO600 gearbox
Not Ranked     

Oceanside is a bit closer than el Cajon, and it was the same story. Competent and organized. It was a breeze. Just get there early, like 5am.

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation!

-Pete Townshend, Tommy
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Taking some donuts and coffee helps too. You're going to be waiting for a while no matter where you go.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Whichever one you go to, I think it's a good idea to visit there in advance to be sure all your paperwork is in order. I'd also ask the manager or some other senior person how they'll handle SB-100's this year. What you don't want to hear is ". . . oh, SB-100's are a PIA - we'll have someone call a couple of times between appointments" What you want to hear is that they'll dedicate someone there to just keep bangin' speed dial until we get everyone there sequence number.
Good luck.
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Do you think that the poor economy will reduce the demand for SB100 numbers? I would think everything will be "deflated" in 2009.

I kinda tear up just reminiscing about last year's SB100 lottery day. Makes you want to just get out there early in the morning for encouragement to the other guys.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rodney I hope you are right. I'll be in line again this year and not looking forward to it. Especially since they are tripling the VLF portion of the reg fees.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I personally would be very surprised that the demand will be equal to or greater than last year or prior years. It might actually take all day or even two days to get rid of all 500 numbers.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Don't forget that SB100 numbers are for replica Hot Rods and custom bikes and other specially constructed vehicles, besides Cobra Replicas. Also, I'm sure that there are many guys are/were near completion prior to the economy taking a dump, who are anxious to get their SB100 number this coming January.

Maybe in Jan 2010 we will see a drop in demand based on the current economy.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 PM
heavy hauler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley stroked 342
Not Ranked     

you might try to make an appointment at the DMV for the 2nd, thats what I did back in 04, still was a hassle though, clerk was great but the manager was a real "*****"
Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4400
Not Ranked     

I live up in northern California. I got an SB100 number last Jan. 2nd. Due to a health problem, I didn't get my car completed. I contacted DMV in Sacramento and they told me that it wasn't a problem because there is no time limit on the SB100. Has anyone had a different experience?

JimH, Just as others have said, just check before jan. 2nd and make sure the DMV you go to will have someone dedicated to getting through to Sacramento when they open on Jan. 2nd. My DMV had four employees dialing constantly until they got through and everyone in line ended up with a number. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
Don't forget that SB100 numbers are for replica Hot Rods and custom bikes and other specially constructed vehicles, besides Cobra Replicas. Also, I'm sure that there are many guys are/were near completion prior to the economy taking a dump, who are anxious to get their SB100 number this coming January.

Maybe in Jan 2010 we will see a drop in demand based on the current economy.
I just figured that before you can get in line, you must start your paperwork. And if you start your paperwork, then you must be paying your taxes and fees and that's where the rubber meets the road.

I remember the guys in back of me in line. One had a dune buggy or something and another had a British car with an non-British engine.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

I got my SB 100 in '07 and didn't register it until last month . . . no problems. The SB 100 sequence numbers don't expire, but you must keep the official document. It's a half page DMV issued document that has your sequence number. Without this, I think you could be SOL.
Good luck
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sb100

I live in Glendale Does anyone know of a knowledgeable DMV :confused office to go to in the LA area to get the SB100 process done on Jan 2nd.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gunnar it shouldn't be a problem. I got my last one in Jan 05 and due to unforseen circumstances didn't get the car done and through CHP and BAR until Feb of 06. No problems, just had to pay the registration fees for a year while I finished the car.