Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2450, Roush 342RE
Not Ranked     
Default Giving It Up

For about a year, we tried to get a Cobra group active in the Grants Pass / Medford area...Didn't work.

We had a couple of great get-togethers that was planned by a Medford owner who knew the back roads in the area. It was a beautiful day spent with our wives and friends. The group seemed to have a fun time.

Then everyone got "Real Busy."

The fliers and phone calls didn't seem to interest local Cobra owners to participate in frequent coffee klatchs (Within a hour from this area) and occasional trips to visit all the great places here in Southern Oregon...

Either I don't have a handle on how to interest the local Cobra owners (There are about 12 around here) or I don't shower enough.

To boost my needed fix on fun seat time, I go to a fair amount of shows both local and on the "Coast", take many solo drives and enter interesting local poker runs and cruises.

Unfortunately, I don't see many Cobras at those events.

If anyone is interested in Cobra cruising or getting together locally for coffee and kicking tires feel free to contact me at: 65Cobra1@charter.net.

Thanks,
Ivan #2450

Last edited by 65cobra1; 11-29-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: change text
Old 11-29-2008, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Similar thing here in the Atlanta area. Hang with the FFR guys. They seem to be the most passionate about driving and get togethers. Most of the get togethers I participate in are coordinated and attended by the Factory Five crowd.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

Same thing happened out here in Oklahoma, don't worry about it Ivan.

Since our little Cobra club never materialized, I've hooked -up with five other Cobra owners, some Mustang guys and few others, we're having a BLAST!

Just a bunch of guys with similar interests that appreciate nice cars. Doing some shows, cruises and just hanging out. We're having a great time!

Just find some "car guys" in your area and go for it! They don't have to all be Cobra owners.

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Radford View Post
Similar thing here in the Atlanta area. Hang with the FFR guys. They seem to be the most passionate about driving and get togethers. Most of the get togethers I participate in are coordinated and attended by the Factory Five crowd.
Ya know Tony, that's a great idea...I'll check on the FFR forum to see how active they are and how close to our area.
Thanks, Ivan
Old 11-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Same thing happened out here in Oklahoma, don't worry about it Ivan.

Since our little Cobra club never materialized, I've hooked -up with five other Cobra owners, some Mustang guys and few others, we're having a BLAST!

Just a bunch of guys with similar interests that appreciate nice cars. Doing some shows, cruises and just hanging out. We're having a great time!

Just find some "car guys" in your area and go for it! They don't have to all be Cobra owners.
You and Tony have a couple of good ideas...I'll pursue that...I usually have fliers at every car show trying to attract Cobra owners.

When the shows start again, I'm going to redo the flyer to include "Car Guys" who like to cruise and hang out.

I'll also change the group name to be more inclusive and paints a picture of what fun we could have without a bunch of rules and regs.
Thanks, Ivan
Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile The Cobra Family

We have maybe 30 Cobra in a 100 mile radius of Florence but 6 to 13 people will show up at car shows or our Friday night eat outs. We meet every Friday night (3 to 13 people) and enjoy each others company. We have 5 die hard's that go to a lot of shows or ride together. Other come and go as their time allows them. We still have fun and enjoy everyone's company. I have everyone on an email list and keep them posted on what going on, interesting post on Club Cobra & FFR, etc. A few of them email me with things of interest that I pass on to the others. Once a year I email everyone and tell them if I don't hear from them in 10 days or so I will drop them from the mail list. I don't want to spam them with a lot of car stuff they are not interested in. 98% will respond and tell me to keep them on the list. For the last 5 years eight of us have traveled to the London Cobra Show together. We help each other on our car projects and other home project. I had a lot of help in building my shop (50 x 50). Four of us own a car hauling trailer that has made trips to pick up Cobra kits.
Yea, we have become a family and not all have Cobras. It's great to have friends that enjoy cars like I do and are just a phone call away.

Some of these guys are MOPAR guys, but we let them hang around with us.

sometime we get 9 or 10 together for a car show, that's nine or ten Cobras

Last edited by Dwight; 11-29-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: add pic
Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice looking group of people and cars, Dwight...Something for us to shoot for as we try and get a group together.
Thanks, Ivan
Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
65Cobra,

Same story here. Several years ago we had around 12 to 15 Cobras in the immediate area and would have Saturday get togethers and once a year a big Cobra Bash at a friends house. Then in a years time, most of the people sold their Cobras and just kind of vanished from the car scene completely. I don't even see them at car shows any more. I drove mine on trips by myself for a year and then as my health got worse I sold it. I wish I had it back and at least on good days I could go for drives. Keep at it and you will find someone that will be ready to join in with you.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
65Cobra,

Keep at it and you will find someone that will be ready to join in with you.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Do you think it would be easier to get together a group of various cars rather than stick to Cobras?

After all, the goal here is to have some fun taking cruises, going to shows and just having coffee together every week or so.

Ivan
Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile drive it

Just takes two

Dwight
Old 11-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Sounds like us in Hawaii - 3 to 6 Cobras at a show, sometimes just have a
dinner at one of our houses - we hosted Thanksgiving this year - we are all
empty nesters and are kindred souls so it is great. Also help each other on
cars - you name it - informal - no rules - perfect.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,
I truly appreciate the input...It shows me that I was trying to be too big too soon...Perseverance is the answer.

I'll just keep pushing and being visible...Bound to run across someone else to get the ball rolling. As Dwight said, "It just takes two."

Thanks, Ivan

Last edited by 65cobra1; 11-30-2008 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: grammatical
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hello Ivan,

Checking in. This post you made was back in November of 2008. Were you able to get any folks together this season in Southern Oregon?

I have a few Cobra/car buddies seriously looking to relocate to Southern Oregon. Being around Cobras, cars, and meetups, and drives are a must for them too.

Were you able to finally get Cobra folks in Southern Oregon out to meet up and drive their Cobras, or did they go fishing instead so far this year?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately there a a few Cobra snobs out there. So screw them it is there loss and you probably don't want tyo be around them anyway. I grew up around K-Falls, and my brother still lives there. The next time I am planning a trip to the area I will e-mail and see if we can get a run set up.

I have gotten know the Arizona group and they were very friendly, so don't hesitate to contact other Clubs when you are traveling. It's always fun to meet new people.

Bye from the NW Cobra "Club"
Dale McBain
SPF #469

PS I don't care what brand of Cobra you drive! "Viva La Difference".
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Dale, I guess us folks in Arizona are friendlly..or just lonely. We see a lot of open range and strange animals, so snakes/cobras are always welcome.
My car club the Havasu Classics, has about 160 members with various types of cars, only two Cobras right now. This is not a problem, we Cobra's always get there first and get home first....Hmmm! it must be the need for speed.

Have fun you guys, Bill
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra clubs

Ivan,

There is a pretty active Sacramento and Bay Area Cobra Clubs. I know it's a long way, but there is a trip in a couple weeks to Lake Tahoe for our annual Snakes to the Lake trip. If you have an interest in making a trip, look us up at bay area cobra club (BACC).

Mike
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic ND 427 big block 427 ford with tri power I know the 427 didnt come with tri power just wanted something different. 9 inc. ford rear end top loader four wheel dic brakes.
Not Ranked     

Ivan,
Dont give it up, I built my Cobra 14yrs ago and there where no clubs and very few Cobra out there., no help no forms It was great when Brent started the web site. Its alwise hard to get guys together and we have lost some real good guys over the last few years. Also Bill you have Perry down your way in Az Perry from BC and I think he has his Rsdt. there at the lake. Ivan you live in great Cobra co. Mybe we can get the NW group down for a over nighter sometime next summer.

Andy
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Don't give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cobra1 View Post
For about a year, we tried to get a Cobra group active in the Grants Pass / Medford area...Didn't work.

We had a couple of great get-togethers that was planned by a Medford owner who knew the back roads in the area. It was a beautiful day spent with our wives and friends. The group seemed to have a fun time.

Then everyone got "Real Busy."

The fliers and phone calls didn't seem to interest local Cobra owners to participate in frequent coffee klatchs (Within a hour from this area) and occasional trips to visit all the great places here in Southern Oregon...

Either I don't have a handle on how to interest the local Cobra owners (There are about 12 around here) or I don't shower enough.

To boost my needed fix on fun seat time, I go to a fair amount of shows both local and on the "Coast", take many solo drives and enter interesting local poker runs and cruises.

Unfortunately, I don't see many Cobras at those events.

If anyone is interested in Cobra cruising or getting together locally for coffee and kicking tires feel free to contact me at: 65Cobra1@charter.net.

Thanks,
Ivan #2450
Hello 65Cobra1,

Have you met any of the Cascade Cobras? I know many of the folks go to Medford yearly and play at the track.

Find a nice little coffee shop and get one or two other cobra owners to join you once a month, before you know it others will start to show up at the mini meetings. It really helps if you and the others frequent the same forum and post often. Post pictures of your gatherings and show people you are doing things around town. Use the Northwest region too on this forum and ffcobra, you will find out we have some members on them from the Medford and surrounding areas also.

Good luck....
Don't give up.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cobra1 View Post
Hi Ron,
Do you think it would be easier to get together a group of various cars rather than stick to Cobras?

After all, the goal here is to have some fun taking cruises, going to shows and just having coffee together every week or so.

Ivan
Ivan,

Don't give up. Ernie will be bringing his Cobra up there one of these days and I am sure he would like to get together with you. He is still getting settled into his house in Medford. When we had the Cobra group here it was fun, but then they just all sold their cars and went off in various directions. So when I feel up to it I take the 69 out and drive with the one or two cobras left and some other old muscle cars. At the peak of our group we had around 50 Cobras and Curt Scott from Cobra Country came up one weekend and took a lot of pictures. I don't know if he still has them on his site or not but they were listed under Emersons Bash By The River or something like that. Also the TV Show, World of Collector Cars spent a full dy here filming us and riding in all of the Cobras. They showed it on 3 different weekends, one hour segments. My small time as a TV star.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am most interested in getting to know where the cruise in's, race tracks and car guys hang out in the Medford area all right. But right now, I'm still in boxes, got towels over the windows for curtains, barely moved in.

I'm having a contractor come in later this month and build a "snake pit" (garage) for the Cobra, which remains in Ron's most capable hands for the time being.