28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     
Default Trailers made in GA... who's who?

Happy New Year all!

I have been looking for a 18ft trailer for the last two month or so. I have visited multiple Craig's lists, racingjunk.com, ebay, multiple retailer websites, etc.

One thing that has me all confused is all the stuff that seems to be going on in the state of GA. Apparently this is where a lot of the trailer industry has concentrated. It presents, however, as a mystery to me. Marietta, Fitzgerald, Bonaire are towns that seem to be repeated all over the internet. A huge number of websites stores seem to be using the same builder in one of these few towns. Even the font and/or text in their sites look the same. Yet, a lot of them claim "our trailers are made better because so and so...".

Who is who? Who are the true builders of their own trailer, and who is sharing the same supplier? Does anyone know?

I ask because there is no doubt that trailers from that area tend to be the better deals, when compared to brands like Featherweight, Cargo Mate, Cargo Craft, Millennium, RPM, InTech, etc. I assume they are lesser quality, but I am not looking for the A One product either.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2729, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Georgia Trailers

Horton Homes (Horton Hauler) manufactures trailers in Eatonton, GA. Big facility.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer guy in NC

In NC I found a guy who built a nice custom 14ft for my Kirkham. Electric
brakes, disconnect battery and removable tounge. Great welds and heavy stock
He used to work for a big trailer manufacturer, now he does his own thing.
Reasonable price for custom fabrication of my design. Mikes Welding and Trailers in Charlotte.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I will look into those...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

A number of years ago (2005) I ordered a Lark trailer from E-bay. They are made in Douglas, GA. I knew going into this that I would only use it a few times a year and couldn't justify the price of a Featherlight or Haulmark or Wells Cargo trailer so I took a chance on a 20' trailer with tandem axles and electric brakes. Trailer is lined in Plywood and I had it built in a color that matched my truck. All of this for $4500. I drove down and picked it up at the factory. It is what it is.....an inexpensive trailer that let's me drag the Cobra around. I've never had a problem with it (other than replacing the occasional wood screw and the roof vent that I broke with a snow rake). I've taken it from VT to FL twice. Lark gets a bad rap if you Google them but It's all in setting your expectations up front and knowing what you are going to use it for.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

hmmm. About trailers in general. The trailer business is VERY competitive. There are very thin profit margins. With trailers, even more so than most other things, the old maxim "you get what you pay for" is gospel. If you are looking at 2 different brands of similarly equipped trailers of the same size, and one costs $750 less than the other, it is because it is not as good. Just sayin. And, if you are not going to use the trailer very much, and so, a bargain basement trailer will serve your needs ... that was my rational when I bought my first off brand 24' enclosed trailer band new for $4800. The interior plywood was constantly vibrating loose and separating from the wall ribs. I had to replace every fastener in the interior. Both roof vents broke and had to be replaced.
They were an odd size, and so I could not just replace the broken parts with readily available parts at the local rv shop, but instead had to actually remove the entire original vents and completely replace them. I backed in too close to a telephone pole and broke 2 of the marker lights. Again, odd size that no one carried appropriate replacement parts for. Out of frustration, I opted to replace every marker light on the trailer with LED lights. The hinge for the rear door seized up in the first 6 months. It was totally inferior in its materials and construction. A replacement hinge of the same size and mounting design could not be located. I had to replace it with a hinge designed for a "name brand" trailer that required some modification and considerable expense. On all of these issues, the selling dealer (which was a 7 hour round trip from my home) was totally unresponsive to my requests
for help. The "warranty" was a joke. After I spent all of the extra money during the first 18 months of ownership, I could have bought a better trailer in the first place. I sold it for a considerable loss, bought a "name brand" trailer, and have led a trouble free life of cobra towing ever since. Just a little food for thought. Happy new year, all.

Last edited by SPF1061; 01-06-2013 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, thank you for your input. That approach of a cheaper product from GA is what I am tempted to take, and I would really like it if it worked out for me in the same way it worked out for you

Then the other side (what I am afraid of) is SPF1061's account... my fear. Do you mind sharing with me the brand you used? As you can image it would be very helpful to someone in my position.

I can tell you I am looking on one side: Hurricane, Colony, and almost innumerable websites that do not real ease where the trailers are made but you can put 2 and 2 together and know they all trace back to GA. Prices $4200-5900.

On the other side: Haulmark ($$$), Pace, Cargo Mate ($5k-7K), Cargo Craft...

It's a very tough decision, especially when I know I won't be using it more than 10 times a year (if that many).

Again thanks for your input.

Hector
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Hector -
Pro-Line Econoline Series. I was totally dissatisfied with the quality of the trailer and the lack of support from the dealer. Web page and pictures look good. They sucked me in. Interestingly, I see the trailer is made in Georgia. As you say , it must be a hot bed of the trailer industry. I am sure that both great and not-so-great product are produced there. Unfortunately, I got a not-so-great.

Pro-Line Trailer Sales|Contact Pro-Line Trailers

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I built my own it tilts has a alloy floor electric brakes 4 inch drop axles ramps mounted on the back and just swing down and ive towed our race car thousands of miles with out a hick up . when I get a cobra I will enclose it in something ive been meaning to do anyway for some time
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Hey Tuto, I know it's an old thread but my neighbor just bought an enclosed trailer from these guys in Fitzgerald and so far he likes the trailer, the service and the price. Just letting you know.

Colony Cargo - Trailers and More - Serving the Southeast US
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I bought a Lark trailer about ten years ago. It wasn't the highest quality, but I never had any problems with it and it got the job done. After a hail storm turned it into a golf ball, I replaced it with a Stealth trailer. Much higher quality and was much better looking.

Pete
Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SMC 67 Cobra/302
Not Ranked     

I have a custom built Lark trailer that I bought through an internet broker and picked up at the Lark factory in Douglas 8 years ago. It tows great and was a bargain.