Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What car to buy Unique or Superformance

I'm narrowing down what type of car to get. What is the best, Superformance or Unique Motor Cars of Gadsden, AL? Both seem to have their acts together. What problems have you had with your car that I should look to avoid?
Thanks,
Patrick
Frankfort KY
Old 02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

I'm not very familiar with Unique. However, SPF makes a very nice car, and I've only heard very good things about them.

"What's best" will really boil down to your personal preferences (as SPF and Unique owners will probably be a bit biased toward their own cars--and their responses to your question will likely reflect this).

You need to determine the criteria that are most important to you (e.g., similar to original, available options, cost), weigh the pros and cons of the two cars, and make the decision that is best for you. I would also recommend that you test drive both cars (if you haven't already done so).

You can find a great deal of information to support your decision on this site. However, be aware that you will likely get a wide array of answers to your question. Remember, opinions are like rear ends--everybody has one, and some of them stink.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you want to build the car or write a check? Both are solid cars for different reasons.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427
Not Ranked     

I purchased a Unique after 2 years of research, and a budget WAS an isuue, even though I ran over by some amount....Guys at Unique are the bomb, during your build process and after. I purchased my vehicle as a roller & painted w/ a FE427 from Southern(also good people). I beleive Superperformance seems to be a little outta my price range, im sure because the the Shelby association....
-Mike
Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

I compared the two when shopping for my car. Superformance is a roller only, while the Unique can be ordered in kit for or you can have them build it for you. The people at Unique were great to deal with, and I liked the fact that they are a family oriented business that has been around for quite some time. In the end I went with Superformance, as their cars are all built to the same superior standards, while the Uniques varied with the ability of the builder. I also found the footbox of the Unique a little cramped for me, and the raised gas tank in the trunk bothered me. Now that I can afford one, I have found that I do not have the time to actually build it, which is one of the reasons I chose Superformance. Both companies have great cars, it all depnds on what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I purchased a Unique for the reasons mentioned above. The Weaver family is fantastic to deal with both during and after the sale. I also Like the fact that this is a family run business that does the work in house.
My car took about 5 months to build, and I am very pleased with the way it went together. I chose to add quite a few options for road racing such as bigger brakes, sway bars, etc. If I has to do it all over again, I would build another Unique.

Justin
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
As I recall from when I did my research, there are a number of threads on this site comparing different manufacturers. Use the search feature for "Unique vs Superformance" and it should turn up a number of hits.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

I have a SPF but have driven a Unique. Both are high quality cars. I have heard nothing but good from the Gadsden group. Like the others mentioned, Superformance is a complete roller only and Unique you can have a any stage.
One thing, there is no used parts/components on a SPF car. Some kits use used parts) like rearends ect. I'm not sure about Unique, but they do make a high end product. Like any kit car, it's up to you how good it turns out.
Good luck in your choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy either car

Mark
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to brizz Send a message via Yahoo to brizz
Not Ranked     

Unique is by far the ez choice I have had one for 5 years with absolutly no problems. The superformance cars have a sort of cookie cutter / mass produced feel to the cars. When I talked to one of the sales guys he seemed more of a volume sales guy too.. not the feeling you want.. btw I will selling my sc427 unique in june its black on black check out yahoo custom autos search for brizz good luck
Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Since you are in KY, make a trip up to see Bill at GCPC and give the Backdraft a shake: www.gcperf.com
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or
Do you want to build the car or write a check? Both are solid cars for different reasons.
Not correct, Scott. Unique builds a fair number of turn-key cars. Like SPF, you do have to purchase the engine yourself to comply with Federal laws, but they will "arrange" to have it installed. Unlike SPF, they give you the option.

Unique's customer support ranks with the best.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

It's true that Superformance is a "mass" produced vehicle and has a sort of "cookie cutter" feel. However, I have yet to see an SPF that wasn't of the highest quality available. To me, the SPF quality is like that of the Lexus, another mass produced vehicle.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

Patrick, if you are in the investigatng stage, you owe it to yourself to check out the best cars, visit their dealers or, if built in the US, visit the factory. There are a couple of Superformance dealers not too far from you, one I believe is Dynamic Motorsports in Ohio. A big dealer. The other you need to visit is ERA replicars in New Britain, Ct. They build, in my opinion, the best cobra on the market. If you have the budget, Kirkham is also an outstanding cobra - aluminum body - really nice cars. That would be an interesting factory visit as well. And if you are interested in a CSX car, that is an option, with more $$ and a somewhat uncertain wait. I had a Unique FIA for 2 years. I bought it used, and really enjoyed it. I had a chance to drive an ERA FIA and I sold my Unique to buy a new turnkey ERA FIA. Visit a good superformance dealer, ERA, and Unique, and if budget is not a concern, Kirkham and CSX, then decide. Research is a good part of the fun!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

All kinds of good cars out there. I bought my Superformance in 1999 and slapped a BB in it. I have about 45,000 miles on it without a hint of problems and would do the same thing again....and may when I wear this one out. That may take some time since Dr. Hal Copple has 100,000 on his 2000 model and it is as good as new. As far as cookie cutter??? To each his own. I guess one could say the same about a Vette, Ferrari or Rolls Royce. I have never owned another brand but those who have like theirs too. SPF has great customer service and support, easy access to parts and build a remarkably high quality and well equipped car. Best bang for the buck IF you want all the standard equipment that others sell as options.

Just another opinion....no more or less valid than any others.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I've done 2 Unique cars. PM me.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

Pat,

I have a Unique that was built in 1993. The body has not a stress crack or fracture. The paint is original and only has a few chips from driving it everywhere. The Weavers are the greatest people I have ever dealt with in the car business. They have always sent me the latest updates in parts I have requested and have been there for technical questions. I'm sure you will hear the same about the Superformance people as well. It's your decision to make and you can't go wrong with either builder.

It is true that the Weavers will have any engine you request instaulled prior to delivery.

Tom
Old 06-09-2007, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

No one mentions the Everett Morrison...are they still around??