Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default Hi-Tech Polishing ladies

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

riverside racer are you mk2gt40 ? Also I thought this was an SPF Car ? are you hoping for a CSX 7xxx deal or just a Shelby endorsement like the SPF 427 ?
SDR
________
Yamaha yx600 radian

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post

That frame has some enhancements on it that I have seen on other manufacturers frames. Interesting...
Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Deleted post[

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 03-24-2010 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: PWD
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
You've always wondered how these seats and interiors are put together? Take a look:

05steel_seat_frames

Now I can see exactly what the seat strap that I tore looks like.

I was helping my nephew with his belts one day and put my knee on the middle of the driver's seat and heard something tear. One of these days, I'll have to pull the seat out and have an upholstery shop look at it.

Thanks again for posting all of the pics Juan!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Now I can see exactly what the seat strap that I tore looks like.
Doug, while I too enjoyed these pics, I looked at the seat shots more so from the angle of "Aha! Now I know why my azz is so sore after a 2 hour drive."

Keep 'em coming, Juan! Awesome expose' on the Superformance manufacturing capabilities. A non-TV version of "How It's Made."

-Dean
Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Did you see the CSX line?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default re: CSX line

There really is not a dedicated CSX or SPF or Nobel or Rossion line per say. All the cars are in one area. The Hi-Tech factory is run much like the very unique and efficient Kentucky Truck Plant that makes the Super Duty Fords. They are versatile enough that you could see two Mark-III's in a row followed by a Rossion, a CSX, then a GT-40 and finally a Coupe all in a row, and all being assembled at the same time. It really is quite amazing at how they can even do such a thing without total chaos, but their procedure allows them to do just about anything, whenever they want. And, it is so calm and quiet while they are working you'd think it was a doctors office. Everyone knows what they need to do and each worker is the master of their own vehicle they are working on.

Literally, if you had the influence and necessity to force all the other cars in production back behind yours, you could order, say, a Gold leaf Cobra with Chrome Silver stripes and they could certainly have the ability to start completing your car today. They are that versatile.

I was amazed to see how much individual personal care they give each car as if it were their own from the beginning to the end of the build. While it certainly is a modern production facility, there is still a vast majority of hand craftsmanship present in each car, far more than calling it a mass production line. They've just been able to figure out how to produce hand craftsmanship on a large production scale.

/Randall
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

These photos are wonderful and really help illustrate how our cars are made. I am truly amazed at the level of skill and craftsmanship which the workers at Hi-Tech clearly possess. Very impressive!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

And what we could *not* capture in any photo, was the incredible enthusiasm all the managers and department heads had in their eyes and voices as they showed us each facet of these their cars. you'd almost think it was THEIR company they were showing us around in! They treated each car as if it were their own, and each had a story. And here I thought WE were passionate about our cars... that was nothing in comparison to how they love them. I can't imagine how they can even "let them go" out the door after building them. If those guys weren't so tough and manly, I could almost envision them with tears in their eyes as each car left out on their long journey to the destination of each new owners.

And the workers there were as focused on each of their tasks, and I could not imagine NASA workers being any more intensely focused while building a space shuttle. One interesting thing I noted, is it was clear everyone knew what their job was, and basically did their job without the need for a normal chain of supervision you would otherwise expect. Each were perfectionists, and all were fanatics for the cars they build. And all were very, very proud of their work, their team and their cars.

It was worth every inch of the 20,000 mile trip to experience this previously hidden wonder of the automotive world, which is remembered as the bright shining of light emerging from the legendary Dark continent.

The Superformance Hi-Tech factory in South Africa was truly an automotive enthusiasts utopia, and it was difficult and sad to have had to leave these new found friends behind, who share our passion as much as we do. Then I remembered, I actually own one of their cars! And once back home, now everytime I look at my Superformance I think of my friends so far away, and while there 8 times zone separating us, their memories are relived everytime I turn the key two clicks to the right.

Randall
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More Hi-Tech Photos

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Take a look deep under the kin of our MKIIIs

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keep them comming!!! Thanks so much!!!! WOW, you can really see the precision even in the tub attachements. No wonder they are so solid!!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What organization, I mean really!

No pun intended with the above title but I just could not resist. One of the delights of having owned 3 Cobras has been the opportunity of appreciating and seeing first hand what a class act is the Superformance / Hi Tech institution. High quality products and services, a given, it's the other hidden details that tells the story best.

Organizational details, that is. The photos below tell the story much better than I could.

The vast range of capabilities in Hi Tech's own parts-making operation is incredible. Self supporting to say the least. Now don't ask me what are most of the parts below, they just look great. One of the tour members can jump in here if you know what these parts are, not the obvious ones of course, at least I know what headers look like.

Whoa, that is just way too much for me to fully digest, I am dully impressed. I can't wait to get in my 2nd Superformance MKIII and feel, with confidence, I made the right choice, again!

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904

Last edited by froggyman; 03-29-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Striping Jig

I would like to thank Juan for his excellent reporting on the factory tour. I've seen things in this thread that I missed on the tour. I guess I was just overwhelmed by the whole experience.

I do want to clarify the purpose of one of the many jigs in the factory. This photo that appeared earlier in the thread as part of the soft top pin layout is actually used for getting the stripes lined up on hard tops. The aluminum brackets on the front and back have notches that the masking tape is laid into to ensure the stripes on the hard top will line up with the stripes on the body.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Stripes' alignment jig

GEE TEE,

Thank you for your feedback. I stand corrected. That is why I wish I had gone on the trip myself. I would have known better. This thread has been my Virtual Trip To Hi Tech, and have enjoyed every minute of it, on my screen, sigh...oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE TEE View Post
I would like to thank Juan for his excellent reporting on the factory tour. I've seen things in this thread that I missed on the tour. I guess I was just overwhelmed by the whole experience.

I do want to clarify the purpose of one of the many jigs in the factory. This photo that appeared earlier in the thread as part of the soft top pin layout is actually used for getting the stripes lined up on hard tops. The aluminum brackets on the front and back have notches that the masking tape is laid into to ensure the stripes on the hard top will line up with the stripes on the body.

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And then on our tour we found...

It seems that when I think I have seen all that Hi-Tech and Superformance have created, we come upon the most awesome looking stuff. Took my breath away when I saw these photos. If I had been on the tour they still would be trying to pry me away from the beautiful creation Superformance and Hi Tech have their hands on. Take a look. This is an unprecedented look into the deepest areas of development within Hi-Tech. Totally blew me away, totally.

The Blue car you see here is a raw race car supplied by Duntov Motors and shipped to South Africa for development purposes, and in no way reflects the features or details of the Superformance final product. Even so, it's a pretty neat looking "test jig!"

The Race car is shown here in Superformance's secret out of the way skunkwerks where the planning and development take place and also where few living souls get to see. We were invited in with no restrictions or holds barred.

Here is where everything is tried on, and swapped, and changed, and welded, and drilled, and cut off to start all over again. While modern CAD designing is at the heart of the beginning of any Superformance creation, good ole trial and fit to just see what looks right or not, is still respected and given it's due here.

This prototype differential is fitted in a trial position. There will be many, many countless changes after this photo was taken and before the final product is even envisioned. Perfection does not happen overnight, it is a goal reached by relentless investment over time.

The original Grand Sport molds were purchased and in true fashion of the perfectionist he is, they did not meet Jimmy Price's ultra high standards, and he started back from scratch. Making cars or making a buck is not as important as making it right.

More prototype test body parts were discovered in the skunkwerks. While the raw unfinished fiberglass may look rough, even before finishing, the attention to detail and meticulous lines were impressively present. I can't imagine how cool this car will look finished. I was tempted to grab a blue spray can and quick see for myself.

Jimmy Price has the modern equipment and amazing engineering capabilities to produce just about anything you can imagine in a moments notice... and sometimes he likes to have some fun and enjoy his masterful facilities just like any of us would! Jimmy Price, Hi-Tech Automotive and Lance Stander at Superformance are just full of surprises, and you never know what might be just around the corner...

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904

Last edited by froggyman; 04-01-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Old 04-01-2010, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

PANTERA .....car not the band
SDr
________
Tribe toyota malaysia history

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another obligatory tour group shot

Here is another look at our US contingent in SA.

Louisville, KY 40217
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904

Last edited by froggyman; 11-07-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Talk about vertical integration! I'm surprised Jim Price doesn't have his own herd of cattle grazing in the backyard for future leather seats.

-Dean
He probably has!

Years ago Jimmy told the story about Bilstein not giving him the discount he wanted, so he went and bought shares in Bilstein to get a better price! (Hence the name "J. Price" ;-)

Dom