Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Roush 427R - Any regrets?

I know this topic has been beat to death (I've searched through the forum)....but I am considering buying my first (used) SPF Cobra. SPF is the only choice for me, so no debate there. Not slamming other makes, just have made my decision.

Engine continues to be a hard decision. I admit to being a bit of a big block snob. But then there's the Roush 427R. I may have an opportunity to buy a lightly used SPF with a 427R.

Do any of you who own a 427R have any regrets about the decision?

What would you value a perfect 2006 with 2000 miles and a Roush 427R?

Thanks for your tolerance of a newbie rehashing old ground.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2813, Roush 427SR/TW
Not Ranked     

I don't have opinion as to value and no experience with the "R" version, but I love the Roush 427 SR/TW that I have in my car.

Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Superformance is a wonderfull car. $53-55K depending on your location and resale value of color. If it is bright pink then resale is less than blue, silver, dark silver etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I to have no information..

Will be purchasing a SPF with 427R looks like a good combination of car and power.

Also along for the ride...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

You can't go wrong with the SPF and the Roush 427R. Since you're buying a pre-owned car, the supply of the market and the cars that you whittle your list down to is going to drive your decision regarding the engine.

Asking prices are going to be all over the board. You're best bet is to compare prices for SPF cars that are listed here on CC, Cobra Country http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html, and eBay to see if the seller has set a realistic asking price to use as starting point to negotiate.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 04-28-2010 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Is the engine, in fact, a 427R? Or is it a 427SR?

They both say 427R on the valve covers but the SR has a dual plane intake with a Street Avenger vacuum secondary carb. The "R" has a higher rise single plane intake and DP carb. The "SR" is much more street friendly and has the same torque figure as the "R" version but the power comes on lower in the rpm range.

I chose the SR version for just that reason. You will not be disappointed.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I have a 2006 SPF with a Roush 427R. The power and torque is very impressive. I have 4500 miles on the engine with no problems. When shopping for my car I drove 3 SPF's with the Roush, Shelby aluminum 427, and 427 FE side oiler. The heat from the last two was unbearable.The Roush never overheats in hot Florida weather. Living in South Florida ,The engine heat would have been a problem. I do notice that the Roush does not like approaching a stop sign at low speeds. I put the car in neutral and coast to the stop sign as I brake.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goopie 18 View Post
I have a 2006 SPF with a Roush 427R. The power and torque is very impressive. I have 4500 miles on the engine with no problems. When shopping for my car I drove 3 SPF's with the Roush, Shelby aluminum 427, and 427 FE side oiler. The heat from the last two was unbearable.The Roush never overheats in hot Florida weather. Living in South Florida ,The engine heat would have been a problem. I do notice that the Roush does not like approaching a stop sign at low speeds. I put the car in neutral and coast to the stop sign as I brake.
My car used to have the same problem. I replaced the carb with a 4150 hp with billet metering blocks, and had a guy that has worked on a lot of Roush motors dial it in, and the motor does not do that anymore.

Can't go wrong with a 427R / SR...
Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default R vs SR

jhv48...The engine is described as a 427R rated at 550hp. It is also listed as having a dual plane. According to information posted on the Roush website, a dual plane is available on the R...

http://www.roushperformance.com/pdfs/427R.pdf

And, on the above link it says the carb is a 770 with vacuum secondaries, while on the following link says the carb is a 750 with mechanical secondaries...

http://www.roushperformance.com/engines/engines.shtml

The car description does not mention what carb it has. Other than looking through the paperwork that came with the car, are there any other easy ways to tell the difference? Something that a neophyte could actually see?

Thanks all for the posts - interesting.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

The only regret I had with the single plane intake 427R in a Superformance was how the dealer set up the original carb, fuel delivery, air cleaner, headers, clutch, tires and half shafts. After all those things were changed the car was incredible.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

I am very pleased with my 32 month old 427SR.

It has a dual plane manifold and Holley 80770-1 vacuum secondary carburetor.

BTW....Goopie
Try opening up the 4 idle mixture screws about a half turn each. This may smooth out your engine a bit at slow speeds. If it doesn't help, you can change it back very easily if it doesn't help.

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Is the engine, in fact, a 427R? Or is it a 427SR?

They both say 427R on the valve covers but the SR has a dual plane intake with a Street Avenger vacuum secondary carb. The "R" has a higher rise single plane intake and DP carb. The "SR" is much more street friendly and has the same torque figure as the "R" version but the power comes on lower in the rpm range.

I chose the SR version for just that reason. You will not be disappointed.
I'd disagree with the idea that the 427R single plane intake is less than streetable. It's very streetable when the carb is set up correctly. My advice would be buy a Pro-Systems carb. I had the 1040 cfm which is said to not be usable on the street in many forum threads which is also not true.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Jody,thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Slumming currently with 67 GT350
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear all is well with you and your car, Goopie!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIONDOG View Post
I admit to being a bit of a big block snob.
If that's true then you will not be happy with anything other than a big block (meaning, an FE).
Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Goopie, I suspect the difference in heat generated by the three different engines you test drove has more to do with insulation, timing, carb setup, ventilation than the engine itself. My buddy runs a Roush 427 (R or SR, I don't know) and the heat was so substantial he took extra steps with ventilation and heat blocking to keep the cockpit, of his CSX, within reason.

One time, when I was trying to dress up things under the hood, I removed the very thin layer of insulation between the headers and the foot box. My thinking was, that was SO thin, how useful could it be? Whoa, bruddah, DO NOT remove that insulation!!! It may be thin but man what a difference it makes, night day.

As far the 427 cid goes, thats out to far for my liking. I'd stop around 408 or so, max, just my opinion. By the way, my buddy with the high heat Roush 427 recently replaced a blown head gasket, out of warranty.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

I drove SPO 2404 with a 427R #443(?) and did not buy it because it bucked like a horse. The Club Cobra guys said the carb was not adjusted properly. I ended up buying SPF 2608 with a 427 SR #460 and love it. The original owner replaced the carb with a Bigs Performance Holley 750 Double-Pumper. I'm not sure why other than he didn't think it ran well with original carb. My Cobra doesn't roll smoothly either and probably needs carb adjustment. If you can get the price below $60k you are doing very well on the price. There is no way you will get this Cobra in the low $50s, unless you find a very distressed situation. How long do you want to wait? April weather is getting pretty nice for a drive! Oh yeah, the odometer... As I was packing my new Cobra on the transport truck, the seller mentioned it was on the 3rd speedo because it kept bouncing. It still bounced and the speed was reading about 20% low! Don't get too excited about the low miles.... you never really know on these beauties!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2864 MK III ROUSH 427R
Not Ranked     

My son and I both have the 427R in our SPFs. They run very well. Depending on the previous owner, plan on tuning the carb or having it tuned by a pro. We have both installed Pro System Carbs, because the carbs from Roush have been modified by Roush a slight bit and do not adjust as well as if they were a stock Holley. In addition the carb from Pro Systems will wake the horses up so to speak. Big difference in throttle response and overall performance.

When was the last time you owned or maintained an automobile with a carb--a high performance engine with a carb? For the most part they run way different than the fuel injected, turbo charged and supercharged computer controlled autos most of us are used to driving on a daily basis, so expect the fuel available, weather, temp and barometric pressure to cause the 427R to run a bit different on differnt days and at different elevations.

We did not encounter engine stumble or dying when stopping even with the orig carb. Because of the cam overlap, the vacuum for the vacuum assisted brakes may not be sufficient when at idle or when you pump the brakes as you approach a stop. I new this ahead of time so we installed vacuum pumps to solve this problem. Stops without an issue.

Some guys report that the cars buck when at low speeds like 15 or 25mph. Ours do that too if you are not in 1st gear at those speeds. My warmed over Z06 and my sons 604RWHP Mustang Cobra the same thing. High performance engines come with some drive ability issues attached. Fee free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I really like my 427SR but like others had to have the carb replaced and dialed in...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default This stuff is GOLD!

For a lot of you, this thread is probably rehashing stuff you are completely tired of talking about. For me, this stuff is GOLD! Your insights and comments very, very useful as I asses options. Can't thank you all enough for jumping in.

I will likely go check out the 427R I'm thinking about. At the right price, I'll jump. At the same time, there are a lot of other good options out there. But the search is not something I particularly enjoy - driving is. Michigan summers are short, gotta get one...

As for working on high performance carburetor motors....does my 1964 Land Rover Series count? I'm constantly tweaking that thing. Had to drive around town to find a timing light. Kid's behind the counter looking at me all strange. Motor was a ground up high performance rebuild from a custom shop in Valencia CA. Makes a whoopin' 125hp or so. Almost double stock. As for bucking, and other drive ability challenges - it has them all, just at a mush slower pace. ;-)

Tags
roush 427 427r used value

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: