Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Make no doubt about it you will work on a Cobra, I dont care who you buy it from, how much it cost, who has worked on it before etc. That being said they are painfully simple, just dont assume you will jump in and drive 10K miles without tweaking something. As far as carburation that dog has been killed, you get the correct Roush version holley and you are done, no need to retrofit to anything. KISS - Keep it simple stupid.

The real problem with a cobra is this forumn, you will find you spend as much time here as you do driving your car, there are some entertaining personnalities and always a wealth of information.

If you are not a compentent mechanic, have the ability to do a clutch, water pump etc then have a TRUSTED mechanic look over before you buy.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Madmaxx, looking forward to the tweaking, skinned knuckles, dirty fingernails.

Mechanic? yes, competent? sometimes. ;-)

And you are so right about this forum. Already too many hours and late nights. But soaking stuff up like a sponge.

Fortunately there appear to be a number of semi local Cobra mechanics/experts. Between the forum and local help, I'm feeling up to the challenges.

- LIONDOG
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I looked at both the 427R and 427SR and found Hp-Torque curves on the Roush web site (I believe) a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly, the 427 R peaks at higher HP and torque values than the 427 SR. On the other hand, the 427 SR has a flatter torque curve than the 427 R which appealed to me. I've driven both, bought the 427 SR and have enjoyed it ever since. If you like some HP-Torque curves, I have 2 sets taken from Roush dyno sheets for 427 SR's #633 and #634 (mine). Email me and I'll send them. (Don't know how to post them)
Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
I drove SPO 2404 with a 427R #443(?) and did not buy it because it bucked like a horse. The Club Cobra guys said the carb was not adjusted properly. I ended up buying SPF 2608 with a 427 SR #460 and love it. The original owner replaced the carb with a Bigs Performance Holley 750 Double-Pumper. I'm not sure why other than he didn't think it ran well with original carb. My Cobra doesn't roll smoothly either and probably needs carb adjustment. If you can get the price below $60k you are doing very well on the price. There is no way you will get this Cobra in the low $50s, unless you find a very distressed situation. How long do you want to wait? April weather is getting pretty nice for a drive! Oh yeah, the odometer... As I was packing my new Cobra on the transport truck, the seller mentioned it was on the 3rd speedo because it kept bouncing. It still bounced and the speed was reading about 20% low! Don't get too excited about the low miles.... you never really know on these beauties!
For starters I love the 427R engine and if tuned they run cool and are a very good street engine. I am helping a buddy sale his SPF and have put a few miles on it and the engine pulls like a freight train from 1500 to 6000 RPM. It has as much power as my stroker 501 with 600 Ft lbs of TQ. As for price....If you like red with silver I have the best deal on a low mileage SPF with a 427R anywhere! The car is basically brand new with 450 miles. PM me for details or see pics on Cobra Country. My buddy is the original owner and had no time to drive it and has a touch over $70k into it. The car can be purchased for $51k, no joke!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Seems to me that to get to 550 HP, the 427 R with a single plane manifold is the choice. As noted at http://www.roushperformance.com/pdfs/427R.pdf. The 427 SR peaks at about 505 HP with a dual plane manifold.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Oh, I don't mean to knock the 427R. I think the one I drove was just in need of a tune-up. I'm sure it would be a great engine in any Cobra!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I have had both engines. A 427R in a SPF Daytona Coupe and a 427SR in a SPF GT40 MK11. I would take the SR hands down over the R. Both of my cars were tuned well and both were very fast and even though the r made more power on the dyno, I could not really tell a difference when driving them. The R hated city traffic but the SR would cruise in all conditions. I would highly advise anyone to take the SR or comparably tuned motor over the high strung R types unless your driving is strictly high speed ( very few of us qualify ). If it is important to tell folks you have over 550hp, then just tell them that, they will not know the difference.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

Maybe it depends on the 427R engine. I can tell you that the 427R in car #2047 drives just fine in the city and will tractor around like a very mild 351 with no issues. Even with the Vic Jr which is more of a high rpm manifold then a dual plane, the power is very broad and does not leave me with the thought of needing to change anything. That being said, I know the owner spent well over $1500 for a new carb and dyno tuning. It is one of the best running engines I have ever had a chance to run.

Jake
Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

This is a nice link to the Roush 427R:

http://www.roushperformance.com/pdfs/427R.pdf

You wouldn't happen to have one to the 427SR?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

You can find them all here:

http://www.roushperformance.com/engines/engines.shtml

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I have a 427R in SPF1061. I have a dual plane intake and a custom built AED 750HP carb and several hours of dyno time getting it dialed in. "Stock" other than that. City traffic is not my preference, but certainly not a problem. Runs 11:30s in the 1/4. 10mpg on the street, maybe half that on the track. 20,000+ miles. It has been very strong and solid as a rock. No regrets here.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Was lucky enough to be able to take Cobra Craig with me to inspect and test drive the 427R equipped Cobra I am now lined up to buy. What a treat to have Craig along. Learned a lot, and feel very comfortable with the condition of the car and the price I am paying.

So, my impressions of this particular 427R with a dual plane intake? Nice. Well sorted out, and surprisingly easy to drive even just lopping around the seller's neighborhood. A very well behaved motor. I could commute with this motor.

Then, the owner got behind the wheel and demonstrated the capabilities of the engine. I have no idea if the 427R is faster/slower/whatever as compared to any other engine out there, but I can safely say this Cobra was the fastest car I have ever been in. Nuance does not matter - have no idea if the torque/hp curves of the SR or R are better - all I know is the 427R is more car than I will ever need....but, not more than I want ;-) Isn't that why we buy these things?

Thanks all for the tremendous input. I may come to regret not having a BB, but that fully polished Roush 427R sure is a piece of art!

As for sound...pretty impressive. Possibly not as deeply thunderous as a BB, but a very nice sound. Likely a better set of mufflers will change all that.

Tags
roush 427 427r used value