Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hot and humid - A/C?

hi guys -

as i am looking at purchasing a superformance cobra and it is currently hot and humid here in my part of the country - i am wondering if any of you have installed A/C in your cars?

thanks for your input.

gil
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Sort of like setting a 1 room air conditioner on a picnic table in the back yard?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

It works great if you use your top.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default re - 1 room air conditioner

hey rick - that is a good analogy. if you like to be outside and a "1 room air conditioner" makes you more comfortable - i say, go for it!

gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Sort of like setting a 1 room air conditioner on a picnic table in the back yard?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Gil:
I think what you really want is a Corvette.

Bob
Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

No A/C's on Cobras. Just don't drive in the middle of the day.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

A/C in a Cobra.....whats next ??? cup holders ??? automatic trans !!!

if you want A/C...go for it...but you will need the top and side curtains for sure....
Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Just something to think about.

You may want to do a little more research, and maybe meet up with some owners before you buy one of these car. They were unsophisicated in comparision to other cars back in the mid 60's. They have not changed. If you are looking for creature comforts, this is not the vehicle you are looking for.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Air Conditioning can be installed. But I suggest letting a professional with past experience with these cars do it...Vintage Air I believe has a system that can be adapted to a MKIII. Engine selection must be considered with your purchase too (so it all fits)....Added electrical load is also a consideration...As to the "One room air conditioner analogy”. I guess it depends on which part of your anatomy you have the cold air blowing on...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 06-13-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Air Conditioning can be installed. But I suggest letting a professional with past experience with these cars do it...Vintage Air I believe has a system that can be adapted to a MKIII. Engine selection must be considered with your purchase too (so it all fits)....Added electrical load is also a consideration...As to the "One room air conditioner analogy”. I guess it depends on which part of your anatomy you have the cold air blowing on...
I have installed vents in the past to give the customer that "fresh feeling".
Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I disconnected my "fresh air vents". By the time the ducting passes under the hood and by the side pipes the air coming from the vents was about the same temperature as the SUN!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra #454 with Roush 402R and Tremec TKO 500
Not Ranked     

I recently purchased Backdraft # 454 with a 402R Roush, and I also want to install AC. I have used AC in several convertibles in the past with the top down, and it makes the cockpit much more comfortable for cruising during the summer. Additionally, if the top ever has to go up on a Cobra, for example because of rain, I suspect that air would be greatly advantageous. I have owned several Caterhams, and driving with the top up during the summer was hell on wheels - like the inside of a shower, with condensation running down the inside windshield glass, copious sweat under the armpits, etc. Anyone with additional info on Backdraft AC, please post!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with some other comments. If air conditioning is a consideration for you, a Superformance may not be the car for you.

Your asking that question indicates this car may not be a match for you. It's a lot of money and you don't want to be disappointed. You may want to spend some time talking with owners to be sure this is really the car you want.

If you want to drive your Cobra with air conditioning, you need the top on. Driving a Cobra with the top on is pointless. Have you been in a Cobra with a top? Are you familiar with what it takes to put a top on a Cobra?

Some things to consider.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Maybe what you really want is the Daytona Coupe?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

By the time you add a top, side curtains, power sterring, radio & heater, GPS and AC...well go for the Corvette, a much easier way to enjoy creature comforts.

The Cobra is loud, hot, windy, tough to drive and at times uncomfortable....but it's just so cool and more fun than jumping off a cliff.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Just like adding cup holders and a bench seat from a Caddy. I live in South Jersey so when its hot and humid I'll take her out in the morning, then stay in house with the AC.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default another question

i wanted to thank all of you for your responses about the A/C.

i was forwarded a discussion about a guy who had made a bad decision and bought a cobra - there were some "spirited" responses to his dilema to say the least.

one thing that came up a lot in the responses (i dont believe that it was in the superformance area of the website) were statements like this --

"Within 100 miles of a weekend working on it, something else is squeaking, dripping or loose. It's just the nature of the beast. And I love that.
As soon as my rear end stopped clunking, my steerig wheel was shaking, then dead cell in battery, then fuel pump clacking, then alternator - bro, it's little things, but (odds are) they do not stop."

through some of my research, one of the things that attracted me to the superformance product line was that it was built from scratch and did not involve a used donor car.

--------------

it is not that i mind working on the car - but i thought that the superformance line would not have as many of these troubles as other manufacturers.

would you say that this is true?

tks again,

gil
Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The reference to "donor parts" points for the most part to the FFR marketing strategy. Buy a kit and a wrecked/used Mustang for many of the required parts. As it turns out, that was an excellent marketing strategy, FFR has sold and is selling a BUNCH of cars. MOST, by the way, have long since abandoned the basic premise of donor parts, it's new parts these days. The same reasoning applies to most other manufacturers as well, very few are utilizing donor parts these days. Not that there is anything wrong with donor "road tested" parts, the concept still remains a solid strategy. So what's the difference between an FFR and a Superformance? The person who built the car. In the case off FFR, that could be most anyone, good, bad or somewhere in between. In the case of Superformance it's a factory deal, like a McDonalds hamburger, it's pretty much the same car all over the world. Good, bad or whatever. The issues with the secret sauce are known, the recipe is revised, the product line improved, the burger is flipped and sold.

But you still have to add the key ingredients, motor, trans, etc. Plenty of room for someone to screw that up. Depending on WHO finishes it, it may not be any more reliable or ride better or be nicer than a well built "donor" FFR. The motor could be identical, same for the fuel pump, distributor, alternator, starter and many other common "parts". Reliability is all about who finished the car and how, regardless of the make. You could screw up a Shelby, or a Kirkham or an ERA just as easily.

So what you get with a Superformance is a well documented, issues known (good and bad) body and frame. It's a good start, but there are plenty of reports of the bugs that often need to be worked out on ANY replica, BDR, ERA, Kirkham, Shelby, SPF, you buy the car, you take your chances. These cars aren't like Ford's or Chevies or whatever, not even close when it comes to reliability. But they dang sure cost a bunch more AND break down. The hobby is what it is.

Your idea seems to be that a new part is better than a used part. Maybe, maybe not. I've seen plenty of new parts that were no better or even worse than a good "road tested" part. With one you get a gaurentee and spend more money for it, then spend time going back to get it replaced. Or pull the engine and ship it back to the builder (you pay the frieght) and wait ALL SUMMER while they work out the bugs. Meanwhile that guy with the donor FFR motor? He's got a big smile and enjoying the summer miles with his road tested parts working good!

Last edited by Excaliber; 06-15-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     
Default A/c

Well, my car has no top, but it has a radio, A/C and a heater. So what?? The A/C was a very smart install when I was building my car. It makes the cruising experience much more enjoyable during the hot weather. Sure, it does not do much at speed, but sitting at traffic lights the cockpit fills with cool air and makes the SWMBO much happier, which in turn makes me happier. Same with the radio/ CD player.

Last edited by acmjg; 06-16-2010 at 04:50 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

sent you a pm

Last edited by gilunionhall; 06-16-2010 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: meant to do a PM instead of a post