Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Clutch Slave Cylinder

A few weeks ago I started having trouble shifting my ol' 642. The clutch would not go down far enough to shift easily and did not come back up on its own. I managed to get home. The next morning (when everything was cold) I took a look under the car and the clutch slave looked fine. I got in the car and the clutch went to the floor with no resistance. I picked it up and depressed it a second time (bad idea). Again it stayed on the floor. Of course now there was a hugh puddle of brake fluid all over the garage floor. So I needed a slave cylinder. (How hard could this be?)

Now the fun begins. I removed the slave and identified it as a Wagner Lockheed FD48909. I figured I would just go to my local auto parts store and pick one up - wrongo! Nobody knew what it was. My SPF guy wasn't too sure either. At this point I grabbed the slave and line it connected to, and dropped in on Brian at Vintage Motorsports in Wallingford. Brian was able to cross-reference the part to one at NAPA - 33721 (make note, you may need one someday). Originally this guy was on a 1966 Ford F100 4.9L!

Two days later the part (now made in China) was in and I figured I was all set (wrongo again)? The AN fitting that was in the original piece was too short for the new piece. Again I figured no problem, I'll just get a longer one. Again I ended up a Vintage since nobody in the regular world had or could find the part. Once again Brian was the man. He did his internet magic and found the piece. For you guys who will eventually need it, it's a caliper adapter made by Earl's Performance Plumbing (4 To 7/16-24IF, part # 591942ERL). Jay ordered the part and a few days later I was in business.

So SPF guys take note, someday you may need these parts. Thanks to Jay and especially Brian at Vintage Motorsports in Wallingford, CT for the help getting my car back on the road.

Photos to follow.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 07-21-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Autozone -Brakeware # 12413, $23.00. Next time do a search on this forumn.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maxx:
Since all SPF cars have the engine to drive shaft installed by independent builders once they get here, how do you know that's the part I needed?

Bob
Old 07-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a photo of the various parts - ignore the hose.

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 07-21-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Simple, I had to replace mine this weekend and I searched this forumn and a previous poster cross referenced every manufaturer. I am 99% sure they have used the same cylinder since day one if you have a tko 500, 600 or tr 3550 or any push type set-up. Yours in the picture is identicle to the one I bought. I took the fitting out of my old one and installed in the new one. Total cost including brake fluid $27.00 and 45 minutes.

I used a vacuum type bleader and as I suspected it does not do as good as job as having someone push the pedal. I flushed until it was clean then had my wife push the pedal and more crap came out. I have a 4-post life so she was held captive, LOL!!!

I agree 100% with you, a parts manual should be supplied. When autozone asked what it was going on for the warranty I told them a 1988 isuzu truck. Lifetime warranty.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The key to longevity is to have the cylinder aligned so the cylinder push rod pushes perindicular to the clutch arm. Easier said then done. I had to elongate the holes in the mounting bracket. That is why mine failed. GCPC sells a nice bracket which gets the alingment perfect. I did not want to wait so I modified mine. It is as easy to make the bracket right as it is wrong, have no idea why mine was off about 1/4" high and to 3/16" to the left.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Groan...when will it end...owning this car is like raising a teenager...fun but nothing but trouble...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine is also misaligned which no doubt causes the early failure. I bought a second slave for the next time.

GCPC?

Bob
Old 07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I agree 100% with you, a parts manual should be supplied. When autozone asked what it was going on for the warranty I told them a 1988 isuzu truck. Lifetime warranty.
Parts manual would be up to the installer as there are numerous types of slave cylinders that have been used. I just worked on an SPF that has a totally different type of cylinder.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.gcperf.com/

Bill out of Ohio sells a couple nice brackets for the slave cylinder set up. Sorry I did not respond earlier.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No, like a high priced whore. Alot of fun until you had your fill and then you are just tired of her until the next time, LOL!!!!

I agree they are problamatic/junk when compared to any other car but they have something about them on a cool night when everything is running right you just cant duplicate wth another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Groan...when will it end...owning this car is like raising a teenager...fun but nothing but trouble...
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

"I agree they are problamatic/junk when compared to any other car but they have something about them on a cool night when everything is running right you just cant duplicate wth another car.[/quote]

Well said Madmax, well said.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default slave cylinder for FE

Does anyone know if this slave cylinder will work on a FE motor???
Old 11-06-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 351 W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdman352 View Post
Does anyone know if this slave cylinder will work on a FE motor???
Wait til Elder gets back tomorrow. He is working on my slave cylinder now for my 351
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenbubba View Post
Wait til Elder gets back tomorrow. He is working on my slave cylinder now for my 351
It's not fixed yet? Booth babes kept your car in the shop. I guess that's a reasonable prioritization.....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1308, 392 Stroker (351W)
Not Ranked     

madmaxx, where can I get an adjustable clutch rod? I purchased the slave cylinder thru Autozone, thanks for that info, but the rod that comes w/ the cylinder is too short and has not adjustment ability.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I went to Home Depot, bought a threaded rod and made my own. Cut it to the length you need and then round the end that goes into the slave cup.

Or, better yet, use the one that was on the car originally.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

OR....Clutch - Actuator Rod (NAPA #615-1116) - Modify to fit application

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net