Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Corvette Grand Sport to debut at 2010 SEMA Show

Few vehicles stir more emotion in the hearts of racing enthusiasts than the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport. These legendary lightweight racers were built under the direction of Zora Arkus-Duntov, the father of the Corvette. When General Motors heard that the planned 125 units would be made available to privateers, they scrapped the program...but not before five race cars were completed. Although they were ordered to be destroyed, all five went on to race and all five survive to this day. Their mystique and value have grown greatly over the years, pushing them out of reach of the average enthusiast.

Renowned continuation and replica builder, Superformance LLC, has just brought the legendary Corvette Grand Sport back within reach. Thanks to their partnership with Duntov Motor Company and licensing from GM, Superformance has accurately replicated the Grand Sport in a way that can properly represent the brand – a proper continuation series that honors the historical significance of Chevrolet and the Corvette Grand Sport legacy. The Grand Sport will make its public debut at the 2010 SEMA Show in Las Vegas on November 22nd.

Superformance and Duntov Motor Company have painstakingly reproduced the chassis, body parts and all accessories needed to replicate this extraordinary car. Both street and race versions of the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport are available, with the support of EMI, licensing from General Motors and drive train expertise from General Motors Performance Parts assuring their authenticity and heritage. The Superformance Corvette Grand Sport coupe or roadster is now available as a complete TKM [turn key minus] vehicle, awaiting the customer's choice of engine and transmission.

While the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport originally raced with several exotic engines (ranging from a “stock” 360-horsepower, fuel-injected 327 CID to the legendary 550-hp, all-aluminum, 377 cubic inch, small block with four Weber sidedraft carburetors), today's Grand Sport is much more practical, dependable and drivable.

Through their General Motors Performance Parts partnership a variety of GM crate engine options from small to big blocks are available for your Superformance Corvette Grand Sport. Superformance, HI Tech and GM are working very closely to assure factory-like fit of GM's LSA engine with 6 speed transmission. GM's tireless efforts in this regard are spearheaded by Dr. Jamie Meyer, Head of Product Integration, Steve Felix, Mike Copeland and Cliff Cohen.

The GM licensed Superformance Corvette Grand Sport coupe and roadster TKM are available, place your order by contacting info@Superformance.com or your
Superformance dealer.

HISTORY

In late 1962 rumors began to circulate that a Corvette was being developed that would help GM end Ford's and Shelby's dominance on the world's racing circuits. Bowtie fans and racers were ecstatic. With the blessing of Chevrolet’s® senior management, Zora Arkus-Duntov initiated a program to create a competitive road racer based on the newly designed Corvette® C-2 Stingray™.

The plan was to build 125 ultra-light Corvettes with high horsepower and superior handling to surprise the international road racing community. They would be called the Grand Sport. By building 125 cars, the Grand Sport would qualify as a GT production car under international racing rules. Sadly, the General Motors front office stopped the program well before the full 125 units had been built. When the cease and desist order came down from the ivory tower, just five Grand Sports had been completed.

During their short life span, the Grand Sports ran at tracks like Sebring, Watkins Glen, Daytona, Nassau, Road America and Mosport. Some of the Grand Sports' most notable drivers were Roger Penske, A.J. Foyt, Jim Hall, Dick Thompson, John Cannon, Don Yenko and Delmo Johnson.

Remarkably, all five of the original Grand Sports have survived to this day. The mystique surrounding them has made the Grand Sports one of the most sought-after vehicles in history. It is difficult to access their value, because they rarely if ever come up for sale, but it is believed they are insured for more than $5,000,000 each.

TODAY

While hopes of purchasing an original are highly unlikely for most people, the opportunity to share in the Corvette Grand Sport experience is finally within reach. Superformance has received countless inquiries requesting they build a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport. Now, in partnership with Duntov Motor Company, Superformance has the ability to accurately build the Grand Sport in a way that can properly represent the brand – a proper continuation series that honors the historical significance of Chevrolet and the Corvette Grand Sport legacy.

Superformance and Duntov Motor Company have painstakingly reproduced the chassis, body parts and all accessories needed to replicate this extraordinary car. Both street and race versions of the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport are available, with the support of EMI, General Motors and General Motors Performance Parts assuring their authenticity and heritage. The Superformance Corvette Grand Sport coupe or roadster is now available as a complete TKM [turn key minus] vehicle, awaiting the customer's choice of engine and transmission.

ABOUT SUPERFORMANCE

• Superformance LLC is the largest 1960’s continuation Car distributor in the world today.
• Superformance LLC in partnership with Hi-Tech Automotive RSA has over 20 years in the continuation car business producing over 4000 Complete Component Chassis to date.
• Superformance Complete Component Chassis are manufactured in a 600,000 square foot state of the art facility that employs over 600 highly skilled craftsman.
• Superformance Complete Component Chassis sales are supported by over 20 independent dealerships in North America, Europe and Australia.
• Superformance has more registered vehicles and satisfied customers on the road today than any other Complete Component car manufacture.
• Superformance has been granted licensing & endorsements by several trademark holders.
• Shelby Cobra®, Shelby Daytona Coupe®, and CS-GT40® are all under license with Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc.
• GT40® is an “authorized continuation” and is under license with Safir GT40 Spares LLC.
• Corvette Grand Sport, in partnership with Duntov Motor Company; licensed by General Motors.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Wrong forum
Old 09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Wrong forum
This is the Superformance Forum and this is a Superformance product.

I'm interested, but would like to see some new pictures and get an update on production?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Lance had one at last years SEMA...........nice car

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

my point is: it's a Cobra forum, not a Corvette forum
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are many subjects discussed on ClubCobra that aren't Cobra-related.

The GT40s Forum has many discussions on various products from RCR such as the SLC and Porsche race cars that they build.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Think the point is Blue Oval not orange Chevy products. Find your own Forum this is for Cobras, GT40s, Coupes and Ford Products.......
Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would love one of these with an LS7 and a TKO 5 speed.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

The post is coming right out of Superformance USA. They help pay the bills on club cobra. I think they can advertise just about anything they like.......my two bits......

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........

Last edited by thudmaster; 09-16-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
Think the point is Blue Oval not orange Chevy products. Find your own Forum this is for Cobras, GT40s, Coupes and Ford Products.......
That's truly absurd.

A. Guns aren't Fords, Cobras, GT40's or Coupes, and they're discussed, as our watches from time to time by Jamo.
B. Superformance is a paid advertiser on this site as Thudmaster has said.
C. There are Cobra replicas with Chevy engines including the new green rod from Superformance.

Last edited by RodKnock; 09-17-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, do you see any negative feedback from Jamo or Computerworks to SPF yet?

Also, Factory Five advertises their '33 Hot Rod on this site and has for a very long time.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The Grand Sport and the 63 split window are the only Corvettes I ever liked.

Wasn't the Grand Sport the special project that Todd Andrews (formerly Roush) was going to spearhead? Is the OP Todd??? If so, welcome back!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The Grand Sport and the 63 split window are the only Corvettes I ever liked.

Wasn't the Grand Sport the special project that Todd Andrews (formerly Roush) was going to spearhead? Is the OP Todd??? If so, welcome back!
No, "GP" is not Todd. Todd is part of the Grand Sport project, but right now it is heavily in the factory's hands to get ready for SEMA.

And if we didn't have stuff like the Grand Sport around, what would we have to left to beat with our Blue Oval vehicles?

I must agree, the mid year Vettes and GS's ARE pretty cool, but you MUST have a Cobra/GT/Coupe before you may purchase one (my rule, not a real one),

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

Like they say " if you don't like what's on change the channel "
SDR
________
CLEAR TRICHOMES

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     
Default 2009 Sema GS

As thudmaster stated, it was at SEMA 2009 next to a 32 coupe!! Now that would be a nice Superformance product I would be interested in.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

If I was to consider replacing the Cobra, the GS would be in the top 3 possibilities.