Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     
Default Another Cracked SPF Windshield

Went for a drive yesterday and on the way home, noticed a two inch crack from the top right center extending straight down. Got home and about a half hour later, the crack had migrated all the way to the bottom of the windshield.

Not sure how it happened, no rock chip, no passenger holding the windscreen to get in or out. It just appeared.

So, my question, where do you guys get the glass, and who is the best to do the replacement. I don't want to mess with replacing the glass myself, as I would sure-as-hell break the replacement.

I live about 50 miles from Hillbank, or should I just buy the glass and have a local glass company do the replacement?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra #1628, Coast Performance Stroker 427W Ford 520HP/535FT.TQ, Blue with white stripes
Not Ranked     

I just bought glass from Hillbank and they have it in stock. Then just have a good windshield shop install it. The glass is $575 I think.

Jake
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default Mine to...

Jim: Cracked mine on a New Years Day Run and Fun due to some guy demonstrating "exhibition of speed" directly in front of me but I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet because its still only about 2 inches long. Blas posted a good source and price on a replacement and if he doesn't jump in here shortly I'll recheck the info he sent me and let you know.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Mitch at Vintage Upgrades - 281-441-4623 is the man to call for glass.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Leave the bolts out of the center bracket when you install the new glass. I took this advice from the guys at Hillbank after I broke my first windshield, and have not had a problem with the second one.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
Leave the bolts out of the center bracket when you install the new glass. I took this advice from the guys at Hillbank after I broke my first windshield, and have not had a problem with the second one.
Are you referring to the bracket with two bolts that secure the bottom center of the windshield frame to the body?

I have found a glass company locally that claims to have done several of these cars. They have ordered the glass and should have it in a couple of days. Will report back after the install and let everyone know if they did a good job or not.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Someone pounded their fist on my top of my window and broke mine.

i will be heading down to hillbank this next week.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Someone pounded their fist on my top of my window and broke mine.

i will be heading down to hillbank this next week.
Did you pound your fist on their head?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Are you referring to the bracket with two bolts that secure the bottom center of the windshield frame to the body?
Yes. I cracked mine under acceleration, and was told that leaving the bolts out of the center bracket would allow the winshield to move as the body flexes. So far so good on mine.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We never saw who broke my window , we are pretty sure is a mentally challenged guy who we see in our neighborhood from time to time. --

I should have had it parked where i could see it, -

Will go see lance monday.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Lexan MR-10, once and done.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Let it float

I lost 3 windshields on my (now gone) shell valley, before I realized how much the body flexed on acceleration. I removed the center brace, and used nylock nuts on the side mounting points to loosen the fit, and let it float. Never had another problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What is the degree of scratching from the wipers if per say a person ever got caught in the rain?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As long as the rubber is in contact with the glass...mimimal at best. But rainx is your friend here...inside and outside...Wipers are quite cheezy to begin with.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

another for Lexan
Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I know, Lexan is not legal for street use.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
As far as I know, Lexan is not legal for street use.

I cannot speak for other states but in PA I believe you are correct, but from a safety standpoint, I would not use anything else.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I know that Lexan isn't legal for street use but from an economic stand point I'm thinking of going that way.
I put 4 to 7K a year on my car and replaced the windshield due to a crack 3 years ago. The windshield is pretty badly pitted now from road debris and should be replaced again. The last one cost north of $600 just for the glass and I've seen other Cobra glass up in the 8's. If I can replace the windshield with Lexan for half or less of those numbers I can afford to replace it 2 or 3 times more often.
Whenever it quits raining I'll be taking the car to my local glass guy and be discussing with him if a Lexan replacement seems feasible.
DonC
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     

I replaced the cracked windshield on my Cobra several years ago with Lexan. I bought a piece of Lexan, hard coated on both sides, used the original glass as a template, and cut the Lexan with a jigsaw. May not be street legal, but it works great and cost a lot less than replacement glass.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     
Default Illegal, a Little Spicy, and Always Running

Street legal? I would guess many would have a problem passing a DOT inspection: Lights, blinkers, seat belt harnesses, tires, ...
Is Lexan safer than glass? Yes!!
I will have to apply for a "green card" for my cobra since it is illegal, a little spicy, and always running from everything.