Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nblumberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1751 CHP 427
Not Ranked     
Default Accusump kits

Hello

I just bought my SF and wonder how many folks own SF have Accusump kits installed in their cars and what is the pros and cons

I have seached the forum/reading and look like there are mix result or mainly helpful if you plan to do some racing with your car, street use does not require Accusump kits

IF Accusump kits does prolong the life of the engine, I would not mind to send $500 for the kit, can some one share some advice

Thanks
TC
Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

TC:
I use the small Accusump as a pre-oiler whenever the car has been sitting overnight or longer just so everything is nice and slippery before I hit the starter.
Toggle switch on the dash for it.
DonC
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

where do you buy this kit and how difficute to install it, I jsut download an installation instruction from the net, look kinda confuse with different configuration

Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Try this out...they also have GREAT tech support..........

http://www.accusump.com/
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

tc -
I wouldn't bother with an Accusump just for pre-oiling, but if you're going to participate in autocross or open track events, it can save your engine. I know, because I lost my first engine to oil starvation at an autocross. To install an Accusump you'll need a place to mount the Accusump cannister, and hose and fittings to connect the Accusump to your oil system. If you want to use it for pre-oiling, you'll also need a valve to trap oil in the Accusump before you shut down your engine. Manual valves are cheaper, but must be mounted within easy reach of the driver. Electrically controlled valves are easier to mount in the cockpit, but require wiring connections.

My car is not an SPF. I mounted my Accusump on the frame, just forward of the engine. It connects to the return hose from my oil cooler using a T-fitting and the same size AN hose as the oil cooler. I have an electric valve controlled by a switch on the dash. I think I bought it from Summit Racing or one of the other big performance parts stores.

Accusumps come in different sizes. The smaller the cannister, the shorter the period of time it can provide significant oil pressure for your engine.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

i have some pics of the install of my accusump in my gallery. i'm not sure i would do it again, but then again as tommy pointed out, maybe i'll feel differently if it saves my motor.

a good oil pan with baffling is much more important.

-n
Mando likes this.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Accusump

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I blew my engine last year in an autox with a 2qt accusump connected to the rear of the main oil gallery. I lost pressure long enough in a sweeping corner to seize the number 1 rod bearing and break the rod at the big end. The pan was a trap door Aviad. If you plan on any serious cornering you should go dry sump, in the end it will be cheaper.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never plan autocrssing or open track, I just too concern about starting the car with no oil in the engine. I live in San Jose CA and winter can also be a bit cold, that the reason why i was looking for an accusump.

I talked to http://www.accusump.com/ tech and they recomended the kits as follow:

24-700 hose kits
24-006 3qt accusump
24-200 clamp
24-273 elect switch

Are these all the things I need? what is the T or Y fitting, how do I know my car has the oil cooler?

Thanks
Tan
Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumberg
i have some pics of the install of my accusump in my gallery. i'm not sure i would do it again, but then again as tommy pointed out, maybe i'll feel differently if it saves my motor.

a good oil pan with baffling is much more important.

-n
I live in San Jose, can I come by your house over the weekend so I can get some advice about how to install the accusump

Thanks
Tan
Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1591 / Perf.Eng. 351W/48IDAs
Not Ranked     
Default I have a simple accusump mount for SPFs

tc_sj,

I have a very simple no weld, no drill means for mounting the accusump in the SPF. Send me your e-mail and I will send you the drawings.

Chuck
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cold in San Jose???Bwahahahahaha.

Nevermind, pre-oiling a motor, imo, is a necessity. (flame suit on)

You are correct in being concerned about cold temps, even the appropriate wt. oil is pretty sluggish when cold.

You may have heard that spinning the motor w/ the starter and not firing until pressure is worthwhile - I say its a waste of time if you have compression.

Accusump, decent oil pan and if you corner hard you might consider a warning light so you know (hopefully) if you are approaching a low pressure situation.

Best wishes from temperate southern Colorado!
Mornings in the teen are common, single digits often, below zero usually once or twice a year, coler than -10 not unheard of! (heated garage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_sj
I never plan autocrssing or open track, I just too concern about starting the car with no oil in the engine. I live in San Jose CA and winter can also be a bit cold, that the reason why i was looking for an accusump.

I talked to http://www.accusump.com/ tech and they recomended the kits as follow:

24-700 hose kits
24-006 3qt accusump
24-200 clamp
24-273 elect switch

Are these all the things I need? what is the T or Y fitting, how do I know my car has the oil cooler?

Thanks
Tan
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     

TC---I have SPF #770, and have owned it from new now almost seven years. I have installed a 3qt Accusump on my stroked 351W not so much for pre-oiling, but to cover me in track events.

I took some in-car video during one of Olthoff Racing's Virginia International Raceway events about 5 years ago. I sent the raw video to Olthoff's to be used in a DVD they were making of the event. As Dave was watching the raw video he noticed my oil pressure was dropping to 10 psi, or less, in Oak Tree and Carousel turns. He pointed it out and said I ought to investiate an Accusump installation as well as an oil pan with better baffling. After some more discussions with Dennis Olthoff, I chose the 3qt Accusump system, with electric valve and one of Canton's "trap door" baffled 7 qt oil pans.

The electric valve comes on automatically whenever I turn on the ignition. This causes trapped oil in the Accusump to be forced into the clean oil input of the Canton remote adapter plate...so it's just like the oil pickup has suddenly been immersed in more oil, and all internal oil galleries get evenly pressurized. The electric valve senses low oil pressure on the engine side and opens to let the oil accummulated in the Accusump be forced into the oil galleries. Once the engine oil pressure returns, the valve senses low pressure on the tank side of the valve and opens another valve to allow oil to pressurize the cannister. Once the oil pressure is equalized on both sides of the valve, the valve closes and waits for an oil pressure drop on either side of it again. It's pretty simple and works great.

The Canton baffled pan is another step to keep the oil pooled around the oil pickup. There are a series of four doors that are hinged to keep the oil in a small diamond shaped box around the oil pickup. The doors all hinge inward toward the pick up to allow oil into the box, but will not swing outward. Once the oil is in the box structure, it's picked up by the oil pump pickup.

Either one of these devices is better than nothing, but both together are about as good as we're gonna get it without going to a full dry-sump system. Those are available, but not cheap, and the plumbing and oil tank presents another level of complication...at least in my opinion.

The choice is yours...but if you're primarily interested in pre-oiling, then an Accusump unit is the way to go.

Hope this helps, brother... I've had lots of experience with my SPF in six and a half years of ownership. I'd do it all over again...! I'm a very "gruntled" owner..
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 06-28-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_sj
I live in San Jose, can I come by your house over the weekend so I can get some advice about how to install the accusump

Thanks
Tan
sure, you can come by, just send me a pm. i'll be at one of the sunnyvale breakfasts one of these days too...

-n
Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I have SPF 2238 and I'm looking for an example of an Accusump (3 qt) install. I'm not sure where to mount the thing and I was hoping that you would be willing to share the trails and tribulations of your install in the hopes I can learn from others.

Thanks,

David
Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Default Mounting an Accusump..

Hey, Dave...maybe I can help a little...

I have my Accusump mounted on the horizontal cross member, between the radiator and the from of the engine. Dennis Olthoss welded two small tabs on that cross member, and used them to mount the canister to with some aircraft clamps. The electric valve is on the drivers side of the canister, and a pressue guage on the other. I'm not sure - just don't remember - if we had to modify the Canton remote filter adapter, but I don't think so.

Plumbing is only a single hose - again, if I remember correctly - from the canister to the remote oil filter mounting plate on the same cross member.

I can check when I get back to the house - I'm in the office today - and snap a couple of pictures, if you would like me to. Drop a line and let me know.

Just FYI...I'd give Dennis O a call and ask his input. They may have devised a new mounting scheme since mine was installed eight years ago. Check out their website at http://www.olthoff-racing.com for their numbers...tell Dennis I asked you to call him.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX 4000 / KIRKHAM hidden Accusump kit

I will upload pics today on a new kit for clean and hidden installation of the Assusmp system..

Take a look at my album for pics .
Thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Pics of a bolt in hidden Accusump System

The pics are in my album . Take a look.

I will try to insert them in this thread
.http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...at=500&thumb=1
Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin_Freddie View Post
Hey, Dave...maybe I can help a little...

I have my Accusump mounted on the horizontal cross member, between the radiator and the from of the engine. Dennis Olthoss welded two small tabs on that cross member, and used them to mount the canister to with some aircraft clamps. The electric valve is on the drivers side of the canister, and a pressue guage on the other. I'm not sure - just don't remember - if we had to modify the Canton remote filter adapter, but I don't think so.

Plumbing is only a single hose - again, if I remember correctly - from the canister to the remote oil filter mounting plate on the same cross member.

I can check when I get back to the house - I'm in the office today - and snap a couple of pictures, if you would like me to. Drop a line and let me know.

Just FYI...I'd give Dennis O a call and ask his input. They may have devised a new mounting scheme since mine was installed eight years ago. Check out their website at olthoff-racing.com: The Leading OLT Hoff Racing Site on the Net for their numbers...tell Dennis I asked you to call him.
God, I miss these posts from Flyin Freddie.