Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Old Crappy Gas

If that guy has only been putting 80 miles a year on it then the gas might be pretty old. I wouldn't even bother tuning it until you've put enough miles on it that you've filled the tank up twice. If for some reason the engine doesn't seem to be running right, the gas (and chunks 'o crap from it in the carb) would be my #1 suspect. In fact, I'd be surprised if you didn't have to blast out your carb. I have to do that after I pull my car out every spring and it's only been sitting about five months (with StaBil in it too, btw). It's the old ethanol/zinc clog problem that we've written about many, many, many times.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF # 2099 Oh yeah, just got it!
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input, this was the kind of help I was looking for. A few suggestions for me to look at before putting too many miles on the car. I want to make sure I check out everything I can think of before hitting the road for a long Sunday cruise. Now I have a better idea of things to check out. I was finally able to upload some photos after resizing them. It is the Cloisonne Blue great color.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
Congratulations on the SPF purchase!!! They are great cars. All good advice above. Check all the nuts and bolts including engine intake, valve covers and oil pan.

Contact the Superformance Owners Group to join. You'll get a lot of advice and good friends there. spf@superformance.org

Jeff
+1. SCOF is a great resource. As a member, I can tell you the tech library is amazing and we helpful for someone like me that hasn't a clue about what makes these things work (well).
Old 02-03-2012, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-O View Post
Congrats on the purchase!
In addition to changing the oil, you may want to doublecheck what oil filter is being used. There has been some discussions comparing a 'racing' filter vs a regular one.
Example, Wix 51515R is a racing filter but only filters 60 microns. The Wix 51515 filters down to 20 microns.
Roush site for my 402 engine calls for the Motocraft FL1-HP or equivalent. This filter is a 20 micron filter.
Be aware of how you are going to use your car and what type of filtering you want to avoid unnecessary engine wear.
It was a while ago but I believe I bought a wix filter and it was too tall. It didnt clear the cross member. I have a 460. Make sure you measure the height of your filter to ensure it will clear. I have been using a FL1HP, didnt realize they were getting bad press...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
FL-1hp is a horrible choice. Bypass open at 19 psig, you would be starving the engine for oil if an issue arised. Most are 8-9 psig. remember it is differential across the filter, my testing at 40F with fl-1a showed 2 psig at 4k rpms so 99.9999999% not an issue. You going to spend $15 on a filter get the Royal Purple not the FL-1HP
I guess somebody better tell Roush about the FL1-HP. I won a Roush filter in raffle at a car show...I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded FL1-HP.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 02-03-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The fl1a and fl1hp are both clean side bypass. There is zero benefit for the higher bypass pressure. The aforementioned are paper media, the rp is synthetic with mesh to maintain pleat spacing and 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. Dp of rp is2 psig @ 20 cp as compared to4 psig for the fl-1a @8gpm the max flow of a Mellon hv oil pump. I bet ur little phone techs can give u opinion next time get the facts
Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

You might also consider flushing the brake system with quality brake fluid. It has been absorbing moisture for these years regardless of how "dry" the storage area was. Just a good pre-emptive proceedure to reduce brake system corrosion and improve braking feel and fade resistance.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the SPF family! You have received some good advice here (and I picked up a tip or two - gonna do some more checking on o/f - thanks madmaxx).

I have more miles on my SPF than most - 83,000 plus and counting in almost 10 years. I also highly recommend joining SCOF also - great fellowship with other SPF owners, and an unmatched technical resource on these cars.
Superformance Owners Association

I see from your photo that you are one of the few SPF owners with a hardtop. I run my hardtop approx 6 months out of the year, then store it while I run soft top/topless in the summer months. If you are looking for storage ideas while the hardtop is off, let me know. I have used hoists, ect but now use a very simple solution that works perfectly.

Above all, enjoy! And welcome to the family.
Jim Kellogg
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Apple has spoiled me financially and technically. I wasted 45 minutes trying to upload the Royal purple graphs, showing micron efficiency and flowrate. somebody want to shoot me an email I will send to you and u can post here.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This inquiring mind wants to know: Who is the Dallas guy who has more than fifty cars?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the seller wants to stay out of the spotlight according to the Dealer I'm purchasing the car from. They have sold him more than a dozen cars. And all they would say is he lives in the Dallas area. I will see if his name in on the title when I get it and if it is a famous name I might recognize.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

He is a racing driver I understand...Not a professional, but he drives the big US tracks...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I would respect his privacy. But that is just me.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Did I say anything else about him?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree about the privacy, not that anyone has said too much. He is not famous at all, just someone who does very well in real estate and developement. As far as racing I was told vintage racing was a new hobby of his. Sounds like a lucky guy I would love to see the rest of his collection.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[QUOTEI see from your photo that you are one of the few SPF owners with a hardtop. I run my hardtop approx 6 months out of the year, then store it while I run soft top/topless in the summer months. If you are looking for storage ideas while the hardtop is off, let me know. I have used hoists, ect but now use a very simple solution that works perfectly.[/quote]

Jim,
I tried to send you a PM about the hardtop. I would appreciated any help or ideas on an easy way to store the hardtop when off the car. I do plan on joining the Owners Association as soon as I physically have my car.

Thanks
Ben
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Did I say anything else about him?
Sorry Blas, it was just a general comment and not directed at you.

Damn written word just comes across wrong at times.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Hi, Ben
Here is a link to a web page I put up several years ago, showing an easy spf hardtop storage system. I forget who's garage this is (not mine!) but another spf owner shared these photos with me several years ago when I was looking for a better way to store my hardtop.

Superformance Hardtop Storage

Simple, but works great!

I had been using a hardtop hoist attached to a roof beam in my garage, but always felt a little nervous parking under it in the summer when the hardtop was being stored :-)

I copied this setup - basically two boards mounted lengthwise on a wall, with a couple of hooks I picked up at a local Lowes. I have the boards spaced 21" apart on center and the hooks 31" apart. You want to support the hardtop by the hooks on the straight section under the back window and let the front edge rest on the lower board.

Hope this helps,
Jim Kellogg
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim. Thank looks like a great way to store the top and display it at the same time.

Ben