Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   "what's behind you doesn't matter" unless it's the police (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/115970-whats-behind-you-doesnt-matter-unless-its-police.html)

chatterbox5333 06-10-2012 11:31 AM

"what's behind you doesn't matter" unless it's the police

I decided to go out for a cruise the other day and wanted to end the day by blowing out the pipes on the cobra. I looked left, then right, and saw only open road ahead. The only problem was that the police officer directly behind me did not appreciate my entry into warp speed. No need for comments. I have been kicking myself since. It did however motivate me to purchase a rear view mirror. I went with the Dark Water Customs bracket and a replica mirror. The bracket is top notch and Chris from DWC was great to work with. Just make sure he knows it's for a Superformance. The first bracket he sent had fit issues. The second bracket went on without a problem. I hope my future entries into warp speed now will go without interuption...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...d=7979&thumb=1

FatBoy 06-10-2012 11:43 AM

:)

Did he give you a ticket? :(

Paul

crASH 06-10-2012 11:47 AM

"Please step out of the car, sir.

Palms on the fender, legs spread."

Oh, sorry, you said no comments. :3DSMILE:

I have four words. "GET" "A" "GOOD" "LAWYER" It's always worth the money.

chatterbox5333 06-10-2012 11:57 AM

Actually, the officer was a good sport. Once he calmed downed, he was more interested in the car than writing me a ticket. Drove away with only a warning.

FatBoy 06-10-2012 12:02 PM

Obviously your lucky day. You should buy a lottery ticket. :)

jon@harrison.ne 06-10-2012 12:08 PM

I'm so happy to hear that you installed a mirror. Now hopefully there will be lots of police behind you but you will be going slower as a result . Then the road will be safer for those of us who don't have to prove to the world how fast our car is on the street. We can do that at the track.

chatterbox5333 06-10-2012 12:16 PM

Wow Jon... You strike me as the type of guy that could suck the fun out of the circus. Maybe one day I'll see you at the track... hopefully I won't

chatterbox5333 06-10-2012 12:24 PM

In any way, the reason for the thread was not for the story or so Jon could suck the fun out of the circus. It was to post that Dark water Customs make a great product and should be considered if you're in the market for a rear view mirror.

twin turbo 06-10-2012 12:36 PM

A rear view mirror can come in handy. I was coming up on an intersection in which the traffic light had turned yellow so I stopped at the intersection just as it became red. Out of habit I looked in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is paying attention. Sure enough this lady behind me was on her cell phone and looked up and slammed on her brakes. She was skidding and I could see she was going to rearend me. I glanced up and saw no other cars coming from cross traffic so I pulled out into the intersection to keep her from slamming into me. I like my rear view mirror. Cheers.

tcrist 06-10-2012 12:45 PM

While it is good that they make a good rear view mirror and you say that is what this post is about, I do not believe it in a second. You are trying to impress people with your blatant disrespect for the law and the safety of other vehicles on the road.

I personally believe that not only should the police have ticketed you they should have impounded your vehicle. Now that would have made a statement. Of course you would have not posted about that.

I, as an ex motorcycle rider from way back, look at this the same as when I see motorcycle riders doing dumb and dangerous things on the roadway. It just makes everyone think that all of the motorcycle riders (and in this case, Cobra drivers) are just plain jerks that do not care about the laws or anyone else’s safety on the road.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I used to do the same type of thing when I was younger (40+ years ago). I did not even think about anyone else and what they even cared about. I have grown up and maybe eventually you will also.

There, I am off my rant. I am fairly sure that you (and others) could not care less what my opinion is.

crASH 06-10-2012 12:55 PM

Personally I enjoyed the OP's post.

For you guys that didn't, sell your Cobras (you certainly don't seem to enjoy them) buy a Prius, and go visit another forum. Good grief.

Cobrajames 06-10-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne (Post 1194876)
I'm so happy to hear that you installed a mirror. Now hopefully there will be lots of police behind you but you will be going slower as a result . Then the road will be safer for those of us who don't have to prove to the world how fast our car is on the street. We can do that at the track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcrist (Post 1194883)
While it is good that they make a good rear view mirror and you say that is what this post is about, I do not believe it in a second. You are trying to impress people with your blatant disrespect for the law and the safety of other vehicles on the road.

I personally believe that not only should the police have ticked you they should have impounded your vehicle. Now that would have made a statement. Of course you would have not posted about that.

I, as an ex motorcycle rider from way back, look at this the same as when I see motorcycle riders doing dumb and dangerous things on the roadway. It just makes everyone think that all of the motorcycle riders (an in this case, Cobra drivers) are just plain jerks that do not care about the laws or anyone else’s safety on the road.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I used to do the same type of thing when I was younger (40+ years ago). I did not even think about anyone else and what they even cared about. I have grown up and maybe eventually you will also.

There, I am off my rant. I am fairly sure that you (and others) could not care less what my opinion is.

Do you guys really own Cobra's?:confused: ...and anyway, blowing your pipes out, to me, doesn't mean he was driving reckless or crazy. Chill Pill time.:D

ERA Chas 06-10-2012 01:46 PM

What really strikes a false note is that you're driving a street-reg'd vehicle and it passed the reg process without a mirror.
Further-the cop doesn't realize or ticket you for the lack of one-a definite safety issue he missed or let slide.
-And i'm not a 'no-fun' guy...

tcrist 06-10-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobrajames (Post 1194886)
Do you guys really own Cobra's?:confused: ...and anyway, blowing your pipes out, to me, doesn't mean he was driving reckless or crazy. Chill Pill time.:D

Speaking for myself only, yes I do own a Cobra "replica".

This really is not just Cobra related. I see people all of the time in all sorts of vehicles doing questionable things on the road all of the time. Like I posted, I used to do this also. Think of it this way, how would you like to have your daughter, mother or grandmother scared sh!tless by someone as they are driving, and that possibly causing an accident. Now I did not add son, father and grandfather but I could if you want. It just seems more un-nerving when it is a female that gets scared.

I happen to have a personal stake in this kind of thing. This type of thing actually happend to my mother. Someone scared the sh!t out of her and she could not drive again. She would just freek out and freeze up when trying to drive and we would almost have to cover here eyes when she was just a passenger so she would not freek out. Now some of you might think that this is kind of funny and have a good chuckle about it. I have no problem with that as I would probably do the same if I was not connected to it.

Also, I do not have any ill feelings about the OP. He/she is going to do what they want no matter what is said on a forum.

jhv48 06-10-2012 02:31 PM

Good story!

Where did all the grumpy old men come from?

Silverback51 06-10-2012 03:58 PM

Well this is an interesting thread.

Tommy 06-10-2012 04:26 PM

Only those of us old enough to be grumpy old men likely remember political satirist and comedian Mort Sahl. Around 1970 he published an article in Playboy magazine called "Charmed by a Snake," about his infatuation with the original Cobras. As best I recall, he said something to the effect that Cobra's had few creature comforts and came with only one piece of standard equipment. Every Cobra was equipped with a mirror with a police car in it. He also noted that in his several attempts to outrun the police, they never chased him. They just radioed ahead for someone else to stop him. ... Knowing who is behind you is an essential part of what we former Air Force pilots call situational awareness.

Michael C Henry 06-10-2012 06:27 PM

I have the traditional rear view and two outside convex spot mirrors . I still have large blind spots. I have had cars creep up on right side and been surprised they were there. I've had unmarked SUVs get behind me and found it difficult to see the red and blue lights in their grill. I was on a mission last year and got as far as buying a panoramic mirror that I still haven't opened the package. I bought a suction cup mirror only to find my windsheild angle was too much and the stem behind the mirror too short to get mirror aimed anywhere that I'd need. Let us open this up for discussion again.

tcrist 06-10-2012 06:44 PM

My inside mirror mounts to the dash and is basicly unusable (as are both side ones) because of vibration. Are the ones that mount on a rod that runs from the dash to the top of the windshield better?

Varmit 06-10-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1194895)
Good story!

Where did all the grumpy old men come from?

I agree. Everybody on here tickles the throttle from time to time. I was a LEO for 35 years, a let a few guys go with a warning from time to time.