Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Ford 393
Not Ranked     
Default "what's behind you doesn't matter" unless it's the police

I decided to go out for a cruise the other day and wanted to end the day by blowing out the pipes on the cobra. I looked left, then right, and saw only open road ahead. The only problem was that the police officer directly behind me did not appreciate my entry into warp speed. No need for comments. I have been kicking myself since. It did however motivate me to purchase a rear view mirror. I went with the Dark Water Customs bracket and a replica mirror. The bracket is top notch and Chris from DWC was great to work with. Just make sure he knows it's for a Superformance. The first bracket he sent had fit issues. The second bracket went on without a problem. I hope my future entries into warp speed now will go without interuption...

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Did he give you a ticket?

Paul
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Please step out of the car, sir.

Palms on the fender, legs spread."

Oh, sorry, you said no comments.

I have four words. "GET" "A" "GOOD" "LAWYER" It's always worth the money.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, the officer was a good sport. Once he calmed downed, he was more interested in the car than writing me a ticket. Drove away with only a warning.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Obviously your lucky day. You should buy a lottery ticket.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

I'm so happy to hear that you installed a mirror. Now hopefully there will be lots of police behind you but you will be going slower as a result . Then the road will be safer for those of us who don't have to prove to the world how fast our car is on the street. We can do that at the track.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow Jon... You strike me as the type of guy that could suck the fun out of the circus. Maybe one day I'll see you at the track... hopefully I won't
Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In any way, the reason for the thread was not for the story or so Jon could suck the fun out of the circus. It was to post that Dark water Customs make a great product and should be considered if you're in the market for a rear view mirror.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

A rear view mirror can come in handy. I was coming up on an intersection in which the traffic light had turned yellow so I stopped at the intersection just as it became red. Out of habit I looked in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind me is paying attention. Sure enough this lady behind me was on her cell phone and looked up and slammed on her brakes. She was skidding and I could see she was going to rearend me. I glanced up and saw no other cars coming from cross traffic so I pulled out into the intersection to keep her from slamming into me. I like my rear view mirror. Cheers.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

While it is good that they make a good rear view mirror and you say that is what this post is about, I do not believe it in a second. You are trying to impress people with your blatant disrespect for the law and the safety of other vehicles on the road.

I personally believe that not only should the police have ticketed you they should have impounded your vehicle. Now that would have made a statement. Of course you would have not posted about that.

I, as an ex motorcycle rider from way back, look at this the same as when I see motorcycle riders doing dumb and dangerous things on the roadway. It just makes everyone think that all of the motorcycle riders (and in this case, Cobra drivers) are just plain jerks that do not care about the laws or anyone else’s safety on the road.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I used to do the same type of thing when I was younger (40+ years ago). I did not even think about anyone else and what they even cared about. I have grown up and maybe eventually you will also.

There, I am off my rant. I am fairly sure that you (and others) could not care less what my opinion is.

Last edited by tcrist; 06-10-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Personally I enjoyed the OP's post.

For you guys that didn't, sell your Cobras (you certainly don't seem to enjoy them) buy a Prius, and go visit another forum. Good grief.
lovehamr, mreid and sspano01 like this.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2303, Titanium Silver, Roush 427 SR/TW, AED Carb, Firefly Sides, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne View Post
I'm so happy to hear that you installed a mirror. Now hopefully there will be lots of police behind you but you will be going slower as a result . Then the road will be safer for those of us who don't have to prove to the world how fast our car is on the street. We can do that at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
While it is good that they make a good rear view mirror and you say that is what this post is about, I do not believe it in a second. You are trying to impress people with your blatant disrespect for the law and the safety of other vehicles on the road.

I personally believe that not only should the police have ticked you they should have impounded your vehicle. Now that would have made a statement. Of course you would have not posted about that.

I, as an ex motorcycle rider from way back, look at this the same as when I see motorcycle riders doing dumb and dangerous things on the roadway. It just makes everyone think that all of the motorcycle riders (an in this case, Cobra drivers) are just plain jerks that do not care about the laws or anyone else’s safety on the road.

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, I used to do the same type of thing when I was younger (40+ years ago). I did not even think about anyone else and what they even cared about. I have grown up and maybe eventually you will also.

There, I am off my rant. I am fairly sure that you (and others) could not care less what my opinion is.
Do you guys really own Cobra's? ...and anyway, blowing your pipes out, to me, doesn't mean he was driving reckless or crazy. Chill Pill time.
lovehamr likes this.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What really strikes a false note is that you're driving a street-reg'd vehicle and it passed the reg process without a mirror.
Further-the cop doesn't realize or ticket you for the lack of one-a definite safety issue he missed or let slide.
-And i'm not a 'no-fun' guy...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajames View Post
Do you guys really own Cobra's? ...and anyway, blowing your pipes out, to me, doesn't mean he was driving reckless or crazy. Chill Pill time.
Speaking for myself only, yes I do own a Cobra "replica".

This really is not just Cobra related. I see people all of the time in all sorts of vehicles doing questionable things on the road all of the time. Like I posted, I used to do this also. Think of it this way, how would you like to have your daughter, mother or grandmother scared sh!tless by someone as they are driving, and that possibly causing an accident. Now I did not add son, father and grandfather but I could if you want. It just seems more un-nerving when it is a female that gets scared.

I happen to have a personal stake in this kind of thing. This type of thing actually happend to my mother. Someone scared the sh!t out of her and she could not drive again. She would just freek out and freeze up when trying to drive and we would almost have to cover here eyes when she was just a passenger so she would not freek out. Now some of you might think that this is kind of funny and have a good chuckle about it. I have no problem with that as I would probably do the same if I was not connected to it.

Also, I do not have any ill feelings about the OP. He/she is going to do what they want no matter what is said on a forum.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Good story!

Where did all the grumpy old men come from?
lovehamr and mreid like this.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Well this is an interesting thread.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Only those of us old enough to be grumpy old men likely remember political satirist and comedian Mort Sahl. Around 1970 he published an article in Playboy magazine called "Charmed by a Snake," about his infatuation with the original Cobras. As best I recall, he said something to the effect that Cobra's had few creature comforts and came with only one piece of standard equipment. Every Cobra was equipped with a mirror with a police car in it. He also noted that in his several attempts to outrun the police, they never chased him. They just radioed ahead for someone else to stop him. ... Knowing who is behind you is an essential part of what we former Air Force pilots call situational awareness.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I have the traditional rear view and two outside convex spot mirrors . I still have large blind spots. I have had cars creep up on right side and been surprised they were there. I've had unmarked SUVs get behind me and found it difficult to see the red and blue lights in their grill. I was on a mission last year and got as far as buying a panoramic mirror that I still haven't opened the package. I bought a suction cup mirror only to find my windsheild angle was too much and the stem behind the mirror too short to get mirror aimed anywhere that I'd need. Let us open this up for discussion again.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My inside mirror mounts to the dash and is basicly unusable (as are both side ones) because of vibration. Are the ones that mount on a rod that runs from the dash to the top of the windshield better?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Good story!

Where did all the grumpy old men come from?
I agree. Everybody on here tickles the throttle from time to time. I was a LEO for 35 years, a let a few guys go with a warning from time to time.
lovehamr, mreid, crASH and 1 others like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: