Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     
Default Tonneau Cover Pins for All Doors

Here’s a nice little evening project for people with tonneau covers that flap around on the doors while driving. They will also help secure the tonneau cover when the car is parked and wind and rain are in the forecast.

Usually the doors don’t have any fixed connectors for the tonneau cover, because they would be quite uncomfortable to rest your arm on if left in place while driving… So easy on and off is a must in the design.

I have sized the post length to work with all Superformance chassis but you can easily purchase a longer or shorter length “Screw Post” to work with your particular cars side screen door ferrules.
All the parts are off the shelf. (Parts list below makes 1 pin assembly) (Menard's had everything but the male lift-a-dot)

(1) - 2” Screw post – just like you use on notebook paper to make a booklet. They come in many different lengths – 2” worked perfectly in my case.
(1) - #12 x 5/8” bonding washer – a metal washer with a rubber washer together.
(1) - male end of a standard button snap - use some JB Weld to permanently connect it to the lift-a-dot pin - careful not to get any adhesive on threads of the lift-a-dot pin.
(1) - lift a dot male pin with standard 8x32 threaded end, not wood screw type.
(1) - 5/16” nut - glued to the end of the screw post - used as a grip for easy removal and installation of the pin assembly. (JB Weld worked well here)

Of course you’ll need to add the receiving end of the lift a dot pin to your tonneau cover, and that procedure will differ with each manufacturer’s tonneau design.
Photos of the assembly and the parts are in my Photo Gallery on Club Cobra. Just click the little camera under my avatar above. Check them out.
Remember to make a spare because you will surely loose one under the seat one day when you really need them.
Post a photo when you build them.
Cost for each pin assembly is about $4.00

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0/ppuser/15212

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 09-07-2012 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: Added info:
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     

Very clever, Blas

Bill
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Cobra Valley has been selling these for a couple years now but no jb weld, threaded in!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WildBill1965, Perhaps you should read the directions below again. The JB Weld only holds the pin assembly parts together, the entire pin assembly is easily removable, because your arm would be resting uncomfortably on the pins if left in place while driving.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

No Blas, not epoxied threaded into the pin and the pin is removable! You don't have it installed unless you need it! SS pins, you misread my reply!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427R
Not Ranked     

The Cobra Valley site says the pins are currently being re-engineered.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

Great stuff here Blas. Thanks.
-Tim
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem, I've got emails from a lot of people who have made them already.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

Great idea Blas. I might try a wing nut instead of a hex nut when I do mine if I have enough clearance to turn it.

Thanks.
Greg
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

I don't think a wing nut won't fit over the end of the main post.... Let me know if it does.
Apparently someone has rated this a BAD thread.... Thanks for the extra star

Last edited by Blas; 11-26-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Not to hijack Blas' thread, but here is the solution we came up with (and I don't claim credit for inventing it, we just improved the idea a little).

These go in the first and second door ferrules as the third is close enough to the Tenax fastner on the scuttle. They are aluminium and fit either ferrule so they don't need to be indexed.

We are figuring out the costing on these and what they would need to sell for. Even if they were free to us, how much can we make selling them? Would anyone pay $50.00 for the set of four with the Lift-The-Dots for the tonneau?
Attached Images

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     

Mark: Yes, I'd pay that kind of money for them. Can I buy a set?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsullivan View Post
Mark: Yes, I'd pay that kind of money for them. Can I buy a set?
PM me or email rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com and I'll provide details.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
No problem, I've got emails from a lot of people who have made them already.
That may well be, but none of them took the trouble to post details on here.

Well done.

Paul
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Not to hijack Blas' thread, but here is the solution we came up with (and I don't claim credit for inventing it, we just improved the idea a little).

These go in the first and second door ferrules as the third is close enough to the Tenax fastner on the scuttle. They are aluminium and fit either ferrule so they don't need to be indexed.

We are figuring out the costing on these and what they would need to sell for. Even if they were free to us, how much can we make selling them? Would anyone pay $50.00 for the set of four with the Lift-The-Dots for the tonneau?
These are genius. Did you ever get around to producing them for sale?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 306 Ford Racing Holley carb.
Not Ranked     
Default Door Cover Mounts

Why not just use regular snaps on the doors rather than lift-a-dot male posts? That is what I did and it works just fine. I put two on each door with a male lift-a-dot on the dash in line with the door.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
These are genius. Did you ever get around to producing them for sale?
Trust me, we are not "genius"!!!

I will talk to my machine guy again and see what we will need......we had NO inquiries.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMK4 View Post
Why not just use regular snaps on the doors rather than lift-a-dot male posts? That is what I did and it works just fine. I put two on each door with a male lift-a-dot on the dash in line with the door.
1. Your side curtains wouldn't work
2. Your arm resting on the snaps while driving would not be very comfortable.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You could also machine a grooove in the post for O-ring thus creating a slight interferance fit (?) and then do away with the clip?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
You could also machine a grooove in the post for O-ring thus creating a slight interferance fit (?) and then do away with the clip?
Not enough to keep the pin from popping out when the tonneau catches wind.

We could put a male snap on the post and then use the female on the tonneau.