Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Stainless Steel Spinners

I have broken the last spinner I am going to break with these crappy pot metal knock offs. I am half tempted to take the adaptors off and put on freaken lug nuts. Owning this car shouldn't be so ****in hard.

Does anyone know who carrys Stainless steel knock offs for this car?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Original Cobra Parts
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I was in the same position as you, finally went with stainless steel from Cobra Racing Suspension. Hubs and Accessories
I like them much better than the polished aluminum.
Bob
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I purchased mySST knock-off's from Cobra Racing, just as Bob did. They are great, and they fit my Trigo wheels perfectly. Please double check if they fit WAW wheels or not.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you guys they are inroute From Ca.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Who were your original aluminum (pot metal) spinner from?

Does this happen on the spinners from PS Engineering?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Spinners can be cast aluminum or forged aluminum. Forging is a lot stronger on parts like this. Trigo and Vintage both offer forged spinners in aircraft grade aluminum.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Question

Good to see you have the spinners you want comming. I was just wondering how much foot pound force you think you are setting your spinners on the spindle with ? When I set my spinners with my hammer, I hold my hand right at the head of the hammer. So I'm probbally not setting more than 50 to 80 lbs total. I strike until the rim is set & then one or two more strikes, but only that force that the close hammer head hold position will provide. Then the safety wire! I've seen suggestions that 300' lbs is recomended, but IMO that is extreme. But I usually set my spinners @ 80' lbs with a homemade spinner tool & torque wrench. At least I can remove them if need be when on the road w/out any problem. My spinners are Alum. Well, hopefully the new spinners will solve your problems. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

The lug nuts on my Focus are turned to 90 LB-FT by specification. I easily do it with one arm. I always use a torque wrench so as not to over-tighten. Hitting a spinner with a 5 LB hammer easily exceeds 90 LP-FT. Most Cobra owners over tighten the spinners which then get even tighter with age leading to broken spinners during removal. To install a wheel, get the spinner very snug and then a couple of firm hits. That's it.

Just for the record, torque is measured in "LP-FT" while work is measuerd in "FT-LBS".

Bob
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
Just for the record, torque is measured in "LP-FT" while work is measuerd in "FT-LBS".
Alright, I'm taking my wrench back to Sears. Those guys can't get anything right.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Now that's funny

John O

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Alright, I'm taking my wrench back to Sears. Those guys can't get anything right.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Patrick, I have the same wrench and you're right, it is incorrect. When ever you're measuring torque the units (English system) are LB-FT or LB-IN. It's always been this way (at least according to my 1965 College Physics book).

Check this ad from Ford - 2013 Ford Mustang Sports Car | Up to 444 Horsepower Delivers Smoking Hot Performance | Ford.com Click on the picture of the engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...tion/fpte4.htm

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 10-10-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lb ft is the same as ft lbs same as 2x3 is the same as 3x2. Wk = force times distance. What does lp stand for?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I still have the original spinners on my SPF that was built in 03 (except one)and has 40k miles. They only time I had a problem getting them off, was when a well known shop that works on Cobras put them on way to F!!CKING tight. So I broke one. I brought this up before, and of coarse others argued it. Take them off with the lead hammer(do not hit the same ear repeatedly, rotate the ears you hit), and put back on snug with a rubber dead blow hammer(again rotate the ears you hit). I have never had a problem!! You can tell(hear) when they are tight.
Scott

Last edited by scootter; 10-10-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey MM,
Do not equate Work with Torque, they are not the same. Unless some mass is lifted no work has been done. Torque is the measure of how hard you are trying to twist something (LB-FT). No motion is necessary. Simply put, work is the measure of how much mass (weight) was lifted how far (FT-LBS).

If you hang a 100 pound weight on to the end of a 2 foot wrench in a horizontal position you are applying 200 LB-FT of torque. There does not have to be motion.

If you lift 550 pounds one foot you have done 550 FT-LPS of work. If you lift it in one second that would be 1 horsepower.

Bob
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks excellent explanation!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Blue/White strips
Not Ranked     

I have SS-Spinners on my FIA and use the same procedure like describet be "Silversmith".

To look the Spinners I found the best when the tires dont toutch the floor.
The tone you can hear when the leadhammer hits the SS-Spinner givs you a good advice when the Spinner setts on the weehl, and also you can literally feel the sound it in your hand.

SS-Spinners aprox. 1200 Gramm
Trigo ALU Spinners aprox. 450 Gramm

Rico

Attachment 21204Name:  CIMG6411.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  35.8 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by cobra 53; 11-08-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to open another round of this but I called the owner of the butterfly type tool sold on the internet who advised between 180 and 200 lbs from my wrench which I have had calibrated from my daughters aerospace company. I believe this is extremly excessive but that is what I was told. I hace already stored the car so I can't at this moment remember the name of the company I purchased the tool from. I didn't want to go with the bang until it 's snug theory again.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Torque should be above 300 ft-lb.

Think about it, you daily driver has Qty 5 lug nuts, each with 90 ft-lb. This is a single nut - ONE. What is really the kicker is the clamping force a bolt/nut combination produces DECREASES linearly as the 'bolt' diameter gets larger. So a single 1/2 inch lug nut at 90 ft-lb produces way, way more clamping force than a knock-off at 90 ft-lb. From there don't forget most cars have 5 lug nuts. The point of the lug nut or knock off is to hold the wheel to the hub. Do you really want to hold you Cobra wheels on with less force than a single lug nut from you daily driver?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I've got polished stainless spinners but I prefer the matt look. Are the unpolished spinners easy to keep clean or do you leave marks every time you touch them?

Regards.