Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech 427 Comp by Craig Coombe
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance MKIII Cobra Roadster Prototype For Sale

The house needs a new roof, so I really need to sell my one-of-a-kind Superformance MKIII Cobra Prototype COB023. It is hard to express how much I’ve enjoyed this wonderful car. We’ve had a great run, but my retirement income is limited and priorities have to change. I'm offering the car at $45,900 OBO. Contact Bill Hagerup at 603-284-6642 or billhagerup@hotmail.com.

COB023…The FIRST Superformance Cobra imported to the USA

Chassis number COB023 was one of 23 prototype cars that Jimmy Price built prior to starting production. Eight of those prototypes are known to survive. COB023 was the first car Jimmy sent to the USA in 1992. The car was imported by Charlie Ponstein in New Orleans, who became the first Superformance dealer. COB023 is the ONLY Superformance prototype car in the USA.

COB023…The start of the Superformance brand

COB023 was imported as a Hi-Tech car, named for the factory in South Africa, but Charlie discovered another company named Hi-Tech in the USA. A new name was needed, and Jimmy invented Superformance. So, COB023 represents the birth of the Superformance brand that has since been licensed by Shelby and has delivered over 3000 cars.

COB023…Ownership history

Charlie used the car for shows and demonstrations, before he and his partner Doug Reed sold it to Mitch Weinberg in 1995. I bought it from Mitch in 1996. Charlie and Doug were kind enough to scan their documents for me, so the car is documented from the day of import through my ownership.

COB023…Not an ordinary Superformance Cobra

COB023 is a Roadster model with under-car exhaust. Your significant other will love getting in and out of the car without being snake bit! And people love the car at shows because the beautifully sculptured body can be appreciated without the distraction of side pipes and roll bars.

Because COB023 holds such an important place in Superformance history, I’ve kept the car in excellent original condition. The steering wheel was changed prior to my buying the car, and I’ve replaced some engine parts over the years, but everything else is as it came from Hi-Tech in 1992.

The prototype cars were a test bed for later production so many different things were tried. COB023 differs in several ways from later Superformance models. If you’d like to be the center of attention at Superformance events, this is the car for you! At Superfest 2013 in Colorado, people were fascinated to see the car that started the brand, and to compare its features to those on their own cars.

The frame is square tube like the production cars, except for some differences in the suspension mounts. The body is the same high-quality glass as production models.

The front suspension uses the same linkage as production cars. Shocks are adjustable Spax coil-over units. The rear end is a Ford straight axle with a Salisbury diff and 4-link suspension with a panhard rod.

Front brakes are ATE calipers, and the rears are oversized drums. The brakes are power assisted, and I added a vacuum reservoir to improve slow-speed braking performance.

The wheels are 5-bolt chromed steel with a black fiberglass Halibrand insert secured by imitation knock-offs. These wheels were used on the prototypes and the earliest production cars. They have fooled a lot of people! Unique to the prototype cars, a spare wheel is in the trunk.

The gauge cluster is VDO set in an attractive arrangement very different from the production models. The steering column, also unique to the prototypes, is from a Ford Sierra.

There is a tonneau cover, full top, and side curtains.

Bumpers are stainless-steel overriders. I have the full hoops in my garage, but prefer the look without them.

The rear turn signals and brake lights are individual round units, rather than the square type found on the production Superformance cars. Amber turn signals and red taillights were required in South Africa.

The rear license plate needs to be cut to fit, because the prototypes were built according to South African practice where the plate is much narrower than USA plates.

The engine is a 289 Ford #8A104001 built by Bob Breaux with hydraulic lifters, performance cam, MSD ignition, Edelbrock intake manifold and air cleaner, and 650 Holley carburetor putting out an estimated 325 horsepower.

COB023…Condition and mileage

I have carefully maintained the car and kept it as original as possible. The body was sanded down to glass and repainted to a high standard about a year ago. Prior to my trip to Superfest 2013, I replaced the air cleaner, carb, distributor, coil, alternator, tires, and battery. The car looks great and runs great. It has 20,100 miles.

COB023…The driving experience

A small-block Cobra was Shelby’s personal favorite for good reason. It is a perfect blend of power and handling for the ultimate in enjoyable driving.

On a hot day in Colorado, several of the aggressively-tuned big-block cars had temperature problems while waiting in traffic to enter Pikes Peak Park. Not COB023, though…she was cool and calm.

Forget negatives you may have heard about straight-axle Cobras…this car is designed right. On a drive from Rocky Mountain National Park, I found myself with a group of experienced, aggressive drivers whose objective was to drive as fast as they could without using brakes. That turned into the most challenging (and perhaps the most rewarding) afternoon I ever spent in this car. Through tight, twisty turns and constant ups and downs the suspension was up to the challenge. COB023 kept up with the group despite the driver’s relative lack of talent!

Powerful enough to turn heads when you press the loud pedal, but a comfortable cruiser as well, this car puts a big grin on your face every time!

COB023…A rare opportunity

Prototype cars rarely come on the market, and this car’s unique role in Superformance history makes it really special. There are other Superformance Cobras available, and buying one would mean having one of over 3000 nice Superformance cars. But buying this car means owning one of only eight surviving prototypes. Ten years from now SPO3200 will be just another ten-year-old Superformance, but COB023 will always be the only car that started the Superformance phenomenon in North America.

This car is eligible for Canadian import. It also has a permanent exemption from emissions inspection in Florida. The VIN is AC9CSLK1194AM1023. It is well documented from 1992 through the present.

COB023 is offered at $45,900. Contact Bill Hagerup at 603-284-6642 or billhagerup@hotmail.com.

Last edited by mudhenk27; 04-28-2016 at 07:07 AM..
Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

What is the paint color and is it the original?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Vatdevil, the paint is Viper Red. It is as close as I could get to the original color. Here's a few pics of the car when it first arrived.

Thanks for your interest.....Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

When the car first arrived? Back in 1996?

Wonder what those 2 Hooters girls look like now?

Car still looks great?

Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

yes.......u beat me to the punch line...........
which has held up better........the car or the 'hooters'...............
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting question, Blas...perhaps we need to study the picture more to gather evidence :-)

Not '96, though...that's when I bought the car...those three pics are from '92 when the car came to Charlie from Hi-Tech. I do have a picture of Charlie in the car back then and one of him in the car this year at Superfest...but I don't think that's as interesting a comparison as what you guys are thinking.

Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Oh...I thought they were Dealer options....

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Bump for a beautiful car, good luck with the sale.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance with Roush 427 R
Not Ranked     

Gorgeous car - great story! GLWS
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Sweet ride and seems to be well priced. It want last long.
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After enjoying a few more seasons with it, circumstances require me to get serious about selling this car. Price reduced to $45,900 OBO.

Last edited by mudhenk27; 04-28-2016 at 07:33 AM..