Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default All SPF owners check area under pass side pipe

As I am become a SPF addict and now on my third I have found a common issue. The supplied motor mounts are not up to the task. They allow the engine to rotate under torque which allows the side pipe to smash into the bottom of the opening on the passenger side. This deforms and cracks the area. Either get the energy absorb mounts, go solid or use a chain to prevent the engine from rolling over. Chain looks tacky IMO but better. Than damage.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2234 Diamond Edition, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
As I am become a SPF addict and now on my third I have found a common issue. The supplied motor mounts are not up to the task. They allow the engine to rotate under torque which allows the side pipe to smash into the bottom of the opening on the passenger side. This deforms and cracks the area. Either get the energy absorb mounts, go solid or use a chain to prevent the engine from rolling over. Chain looks tacky IMO but better. Than damage.
Hi!

Try the Olthoff Polyurethane mounts...problem should be solved then. Even with that mounts it can be tight at the passenger side - but no contact to the fiberglass.

Peter
Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Exactly!!! Those work, I tested them many times on my last one!

QUOTE=ha_pe_1968;1273647]Hi!

Try the Olthoff Polyurethane mounts...problem should be solved then. Even with that mounts it can be tight at the passenger side - but no contact to the fiberglass.

Peter[/quote]
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

There are no "supplied" motor mounts on an SPF, they are whatever the installer uses. SPF does not supply them with the chassis, only the engine pedistals. Olthoff uses the poly mounts as standard on the install they do. Many cars have been done with parts store Chinese mounts which are not up to the torque especially on Windsor applications.

A friend does Boss 302 restorations and has found the aftermarket engine mounts for Windsors can be off in the vertical dimension by as much as 1/2" placing the air cleaner or Shaker too high in the chassis. Due to the design the FE mounts are less of a concern but still the poly mounts are worthwhile.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Motor Mounts - Olthoff Racing
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also remember there are spacers to use under the engine pedistals to center the pipe in the opening as well as the "wedge" spacers for the sidepipe to header connection. The wedge spacers can raise, lower or move the sidepipe fore/aft in the opening.

A friends MK III needed a wedge on the left side to raise the pipe away from the bottom of the opening. We didn't want to raise the left side of the motor as it was within 3/16" of being level in the chassis.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

wow; thanks for the info .
this may explain why there is pre existing damage in the opening bottom exit area on the body on my car.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Good info, MK IV

As Rick stated, the motor mounts are NOT SPF, but rather a choice of the installer. Some choose good, some do not.

My original installer also used standard rubber mounts, and I also experienced rubbing of the RH side pipe against the opening. Also due in part to my many high rpm burnouts

I upgraded to the Olthoff mounts years ago. They fit perfectly, and have held up well through the years since. Highly recommended by me if you are not currently running them on your Windsor SPF build, even if you are not experiencing motor mount issues right now.

Good catch, madmax, but I would not bother with the chains but rather install good high performance mounts that are up to the task
Jim
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg View Post
Also due in part to my many high rpm burnouts
No, I don't believe that for a moment!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Can anyone please detail how to replace the mounts? What all needs removed?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank Goodness they are not SPF supplied. I was ging to post a nasty post. Idiot assss installers. I love cleaning up their messes.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Can anyone please detail how to replace the mounts? What all needs removed?
Easy to do. Tools and a jack with some wood blocks. Remove the cross bolts from the insulators to the pedestal. Jack the engine up an inch or so and remove the bolts that hold the insulator to the block. Trash existing mounts. Remove pedestals from frame brackets and modify as per Olthoff instructions (you do own a hacksaw?). Reverse procedure. Start car, drive car, have fun.............

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Also remember there are spacers to use under the engine pedistals to center the pipe in the opening as well as the "wedge" spacers for the sidepipe to header connection. The wedge spacers can raise, lower or move the sidepipe fore/aft in the opening.

A friends MK III needed a wedge on the left side to raise the pipe away from the bottom of the opening. We didn't want to raise the left side of the motor as it was within 3/16" of being level in the chassis.
Hi!
Have the same problem..the left side is perfectly centered but the right side is lower as it should be in the openening. So the wedge spacer could be the solution. Do you have any pics of it and an idea where i can buy it?

Thanks a lot!
Peter
Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We carry them or go to New Page 1

Remember you will now need two gaskets for the header to sidepipe connection.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
We carry them or go to New Page 1

Remember you will now need two gaskets for the header to sidepipe connection.
Hi!

Thanks a lot! Will measure what i need and if it will work. Will order at
you because you gave me the right direction :-)

Peter

PS: Sorry for OT madmax
Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Same problem here. The torque from the 460 broke the rubber mount on the passenger side. Went with olthoff poly mounts. All good and you feel a little more of the car with them too.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Slow down. none are perfectly centered. If you don't have the poly mounts install them first. the only time a wedge is needed is if the pipe does not run parallel to the body. if you want to spend money give me call and you can send me a check. 99% of the time with stock pipes it just requires a flat shim under the motor mount. the wedges will make a drastic change and have never seen a wedge required to "center" the pipe in the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_pe_1968 View Post
Hi!
Have the same problem..the left side is perfectly centered but the right side is lower as it should be in the openening. So the wedge spacer could be the solution. Do you have any pics of it and an idea where i can buy it?

Thanks a lot!
Peter
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes I am an spf expert relative to 99.99999% of the people out there. Blas would be the .000001% that knows more than me.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

This problem is not confined to SPF's.My CSX 4000 has the same issue.

In my case with an FE, it becomes more complicated in that if I raise the right side of the motor to center the pipes in the opening, I then have the drivers side almost touching the footbox and interfering with the linkage. Been struggling with that one for a while. I suspect that the footbox would need to move over to make things right. Now there's a fun little project!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Use a chain. Prob solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
This problem is not confined to SPF's.My CSX 4000 has the same issue.

In my case with an FE, it becomes more complicated in that if I raise the right side of the motor to center the pipes in the opening, I then have the drivers side almost touching the footbox and interfering with the linkage. Been struggling with that one for a while. I suspect that the footbox would need to move over to make things right. Now there's a fun little project!