Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

My MSO states "Model Year: 1965 Replica"
Old 12-19-2013, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 3120, Southern automotive 448 FE
Not Ranked     

SPF 3120 delivered in August has model year "1965 Replica"
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

So, it seems that the majority of Cobras have "1965" as the year replicated.

The GT40s have "1966," with few exceptions.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

And what is the significance of this? You were teasing us about some new found issue?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igofastr View Post
So, it seems that the majority of Cobras have "1965" as the year replicated.

The GT40s have "1966," with few exceptions.
Yes that's correct, and so?

Last edited by Rich A; 01-03-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich,

If you live in California, and go through the SB-100 process, it could mean a world of difference....depending on who is inspecting your car.

Why, you ask? Because the inspector may decide that since the MSO says 1966, the car must be replicating a model from 1966.

Why should that matter, you say?

Guess what device is found on most (but not all...depending on your source) Ford passenger cars starting in 1966? Don't know?

A smog pump.

Ever tried to fit a smog pump on a GT40? Since they never had one, there is no place to put one.

That's why you don't want your MSO to say 1966...just in case your inspector (or the head inspector, for that matter) decides that the date on your MSO must be the date your replica represents (even if it doesn't).

If that happens, you get to try to either prove that your car doesn't actually represent a 1966 model, or find a way to fit a smog pump where one can't go, or somehow convince said inspector that Ford did indeed sell a select few cars in 1966 without smog pumps, or find an engine dated 1965, have it rebuilt, buy a new clutch, flywheel, bell-housing and exhaust system.

That's why it matters.

Last edited by Igofastr; 01-21-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Of course, Superformance could make it easy, and just put 1965 on all the MSOs.

One might wonder why this hasn't happened? Yes, one might wonder.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i imagine if you bought a new spf and needed the mso to say 1965 vs 1966 they would issue you a new one.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The DMV confiscates the original when you start the process.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If that happens, you get to try to either prove that your car doesn't actually represent a 1966 model, or find a way to fit a smog pump where one can't go, or somehow convince said inspector that Ford did indeed sell a select few cars in 1966 without smog pumps, or find an engine dated 1965, have it rebuilt, buy a new clutch, flywheel, bell-housing and exhaust system.
At this stage of the game, unless you see a faster easier solution, I'd find a running (or rebuilt) '65 289 engine with all the above-mentioned items and install it. There are local NorCal Shelby club (or SAAC) members or even Mustang shops local to you that can source of all it for what I would think of as small dollars. My $0.02.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
At this stage of the game, unless you see a faster easier solution, I'd find a running (or rebuilt) '65 289 engine with all the above-mentioned items and install it. There are local NorCal Shelby club (or SAAC) members or even Mustang shops local to you that can source of all it for what I would think of as small dollars. My $0.02.
I wish it were small dollars. The exhaust alone is something like $2K.

Anyone have an old, but running 289 they'd like to sell (1965 or older date code, please)?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not familiar enough with the GT40, but is there way to fab a simple exhaust, or maybe even find a used exhaust from someone like Fran Hall at RCR or Dennis Olthoff?

Locally, there's a Shelby club member by the name of Tony Navarra of T&D HiPo Motors (lives in Gilroy) and he could source everything. Also, there's Sacramento Mustang and Mostly Mustangs in Oakland owned by Jack Schroll. I'm sure there are a few more locally that advertise in the Mustang Monthly or one of the other Ford magazines.

Mostly Mustangs | Ford Mustang Service, Performance and Customization | Oakland, CA 94612

Or buy the $2K exhaust and then take the hit on selling it, you know "used only once."
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm not familiar enough with the GT40, but is there way to fab a simple exhaust, or maybe even find a used exhaust from someone like Fran Hall at RCR or Dennis Olthoff?

Locally, there's a Shelby club member by the name of Tony Navarra of T&D HiPo Motors (lives in Gilroy) and he could source everything. Also, there's Sacramento Mustang and Mostly Mustangs in Oakland owned by Jack Schroll. I'm sure there are a few more locally that advertise in the Mustang Monthly or one of the other Ford magazines.

Mostly Mustangs | Ford Mustang Service, Performance and Customization | Oakland, CA 94612

Or buy the $2K exhaust and then take the hit on selling it, you know "used only once."
I appreciate the suggestions, I really do. And I have contemplated doing this, and still may.

I guess I'm just stubborn.

I really shouldn't HAVE to do it. I know the process and rules well enough, and have followed them to the "T". The fact that a beaurocrat who doesn't really know what he's doing has become a stumbling block through his ignorance just eats me up. Before I give in, I'd like to challenge the system with the facts, and see what happens.

That said, Superformance really should address this. I'm just one, but any future California SPF GT40 buyer needs to be aware of this (potential) problem.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions, I really do. And I have contemplated doing this, and still may.

I guess I'm just stubborn.

I really shouldn't HAVE to do it. I know the process and rules well enough, and have followed them to the "T". The fact that a beaurocrat who doesn't really know what he's doing has become a stumbling block through his ignorance just eats me up. Before I give in, I'd like to challenge the system with the facts, and see what happens.

That said, Superformance really should address this. I'm just one, but any future California SPF GT40 buyer needs to be aware of this (potential) problem.
I know you have considered it all, but I'm bummed for you. I may have mentioned it once, but I actually almost bought your car before you bought your car.

For whatever reason, you got stuck in the CA SB100 process. I once got stuck in the "Gross Polluter" regulations, by accident no less, with a car that I used to own, and subsequently CA went to the "pre-'75" law, after I went through the BAR ref hurdles at the time. So I understand the nonsense. Sometimes it's just easier (and more$$) to acquiese and move on with your beautiful GT40. But that's just me. It always seems to boil down to time and money. That's why I would throw money at the problem, so you have more time to enjoy it.