Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Shopping Superformance, prices? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/128640-shopping-superformance-prices.html)

hercf16 04-21-2014 05:28 AM

Shopping Superformance, prices?

In the market for a "newer" Superformance, almost pulled the trigger twice
in the past. Asking prices seem a bit high for an 05 ish nice example. 80s?
Are they really bringing that? I was thinking 60 + or -. Also, anybody have
experience importing a used one from Canada?

Can't find my list of improvements over the years, lower foot well, brakes,
suspension etc……...

Herc

SunDude 04-21-2014 06:35 AM

I keep a spreadsheet of "Superformance Cobras for sale" dating back to late 2008.

Of the nearly 400 cars I've tracked, the average asking price is $55,850 USD. The average asking price for 2005MYs is $58,310 USD.

I think you'd have a hard time importing a Superformance Cobra from Canada into the U.S. As I understand it the import prohibition for non-compliant cars (that is, cars that don't meet U.S. safety and emissions standards) is 25 years.

Furthermore Superformance Cobras are much rarer up here in Canada, and the prices tend to be much higher than they are in the U.S. so I doubt you'd find a real "deal" up here anyways. Unless you found one already...

madmaxx 04-21-2014 11:22 AM

It appears there are 17? Superformances for sale on Cobra Country, every color and engine you could want.

New spf is every bit of $80k plus with a Roush. You most likely will spend low to mid 60's for a SPF and Roush package.

Anything over chassis 2000 you are good to go probably 1800. As far as importing to canada who knows.

The difference between a new spf with roush and used is $15k to $20k. Huge advantage to used is IT IS ALREADY TITLED. For the most part sorted, you can touch, feel, smell, drive used before you buy. SPF prices only go up year over year as compared to BDR which are pretty negotiable when new. I dont think they hold their values as well. Good cars but not SPF's just as SPF's are not Kirkhams.

If you can get a 9/10 spf with roush (polished better) for mid 60's and keep it pristine you will never loose money when you sell. You may get a new BDR with a non-roush 427 stroker in the high 50's but it will sell in the 40's. So you pay now or later.

buddyg 04-21-2014 11:29 AM

I bought #1309 which was made in 2003 for $62,000 car had 4477 miles.

madmaxx 04-21-2014 11:46 AM

You need to know painting a SPF is nothing compared to painting a raw body kit car. The labor and $$$ is with the first paint job, repainting a SPF at most for top notch job $3-5k? Its a wet sand and paint, little to zero body work. If you save $15-20K over new and get the exact color you want by painting yourself its worth it. Plus drive the car a year and get the rock chips in the original color. Obviously if you can get the exact color and engine perfect but that is odd, usually one or the other is second choice on used. Heck a new paint job is exponentially cheaper than installing a different engine.

Average price does not mean much. A fully polished roush is $17K? a 351W is $6K? I have seen cars with 1K miles look like crap and others with 10K miles look perfect. Its all on how they were cared for and if they were driven in the rain etc.....

For whatever reason individuals always like to give more $$$$ to dealers, I have never understood that. In the end neither has a warranty (as far as used) and the warranty isnt worth much anyway. These are painfully simple cars. The dealer selling a used car is lucky to have driven the car 25 miles, they dont want to know about any issues. I learned that from watching chasing classic cars.

Remeber there is no difference between a 2000 spf and 2014 as far as looks. they look identicle, one may have a different style ebrake or dropped footweels but you cannot tell the year by how it looks. I beleive around 1800 is when the last major changes were made such as the footboxes and that is why I said chassis 2000 or newer. After that they may have switched rear ends from Ford to Dana, different style ebrake but very minimal not affecting value

Mr Jody 04-21-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmaxx (Post 1296715)
It appears there are 17? Superformances for sale on Cobra Country, every color and engine you could want.

It seems that for quite a while now, there have been more SPFs for sale there than pretty much everything else combined. I don't think I have ever heard anything negative about them, and they are not at fire sale asking prices, and I don't know that there is an overwhelming number of them out there as compared to other makes (I would think that based on sheer numbers, FFR would have more). I see that some are for sale by dealers, but they do have miles on them, so they are not new.

I know everyone has their reasons for selling, just as they have their reasons for buying a particular make to start with, and this is just an observation, but it makes me wonder why so many people want to sell them, and if there is a common thread. :confused:

SunDude 04-21-2014 01:24 PM

My guess is that there are so many SPFs for sale because so many have been built vs other makes.

Superformance has produced more than 3,000 Cobra roadsters so far. Admittedly this isn't as many as Factory Five Racing (close to 9,000), but it's far more than most other makes.

1795 04-21-2014 02:49 PM

SunDude is correct concerning concerns about importing a Superformance from Canada. The US Customs agents may not allow it in, as it does not meet safety and emission standards. Plenty of good ones already here in the US and with good weather upon us, probably will be more on the market as well.

vatdevil 04-21-2014 03:37 PM

I would look for cars roughly 10 years old. At this point, most of the depreciation has ended. And you won't fret over paint chips. I would opt for one with a Ford 8.8 rear. There's few gear choices on the Dana rear. Overall, SPF is the best option in my opinion. Good decision.

mrmustang 04-21-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hercf16 (Post 1296672)
In the market for a "newer" Superformance, almost pulled the trigger twice
in the past. Asking prices seem a bit high for an 05 ish nice example. 80s?
Are they really bringing that? I was thinking 60 + or -. Also, anybody have
experience importing a used one from Canada?

Can't find my list of improvements over the years, lower foot well, brakes,
suspension etc……...

Herc

Herc,

Once a titled SPF has left the continental US borders, it cannot be imported back. Same goes for a titled US SPF being imported to Canada........That, unfortunately for you, is the bottom line.

Bill S.

cobrarob 04-21-2014 06:03 PM

Sundude , Brian , good to see you on the forum , we havnt talked in ages

Do you still have the SPF beast

Rob

Mark IV 04-21-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1296791)
Herc,

Once a titled SPF has left the continental US borders, it cannot be imported back. Same goes for a titled US SPF being imported to Canada........That, unfortunately for you, is the bottom line.

Bill S.

Yeah,

Ask me how I know...........

WardL 04-21-2014 08:36 PM

I think it is an amazing great deal to get a late production SPF with less than 5,000 miles for $65k when the previous owner spent $80k 3 years ago. You have to go to a private party to get this price. One advantage to so many SPFs on the market is that they are liquid meaning they are easier to buy and sell. It takes awhile to turn over a Cobra because the market is so thin with few cars and few buyers. 17 SPFs for sale in the USA? How many other single style of car is available in the USA? 17,000 Mustangs?? It also shows how great the website Cobra Country works for SPF. Of course...I'm biased!

madmaxx 04-22-2014 05:19 AM

Cobra Country is the ONLY place to sell a cobra period. Even Hillbanks has not found a better avenue!!! Curt is exceptionally to deal with and if you look at his statistics on average 2500? people visit his web page dailey!!!! Peak selling months are May, June!! Don't forget his website always works!!!

hercf16 04-23-2014 09:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The Canadian one is on Cobra Country and is very
nice with FI but if it can't work it can't work. I have seen a few others with the Roush
motor that I would be willing to go into the 60s but they are asking in the high 70s and
up, just wondering if they are selling for those prices.

buddyg 04-23-2014 12:04 PM

This one is on Cobra Country right now and you could probably get it for low 60's

For Sale: Superformance MkIII 427 S/C Cobra, SPO1962. Royal Blue Pearl/white stripes. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Endorsed and licensed by Carroll Shelby. Under the hood: original Ford 427FE side-oiler big-block cast-iron V8. 500hp/ 500 ft.lbs. torque. Smooth-operating roller rocker arm/tappet setup, Mighty Demon 850 cfm carb positioned inside a period-correct “turkey pan” with K&N air cleaner, MSD ignition system, Holley Red electric fuel pump.

Ace23 04-30-2014 08:43 AM

I have been looking for both BDR and SPF cars. While I have never seen a BDR they seem to be in that 40-50K range unless you buy a sorted consignment through a dealer or a new car. The SPF on the other hand seem to be 55-80K just depending on the car. The local guys in my neck of the woods that have the SPF cars seemed to have paid 45-50K for all of their cars and that has been in the last 3 years. I think there are deals that come up you just have to be ready to go see the car and pull the trigger. I don't expect to buy one during the peak season....will just be patient and keep waiting for the right car and the correct market price.

blown871 04-30-2014 10:36 AM

patience is key.
... I had mentally talked myself into so many near purchases.

Then........ the right one came along in my own town!!

madmaxx 04-30-2014 03:05 PM

I feel BDR is stunting the Superformance market. You can get a new BDR for less than most used SPF's. In the end the cars are not the same. Superformances are built with suspension components specifically built for Superformance, body lines tighter, paint cleaner, dash layout period correct, heater is super nice in fall or cool nights, 90" wheelbase. One item BDR out does SPF is their stainless steel side pipes vs SPF carbon steel. Look at the front of a BDR hood scoop compared to a SPF. Each one is priced right but most like to spend less for a similar experience. I imagine there will be a plethora of BDR in the 30's in a couple years, good for the buyer but bad for the seller. Ofcourse if this is a one off dream car purchase who cares if you loose 20k but than again if its a one off get as close as you can to the original and get spf.

fjrgary 04-30-2014 06:28 PM

i have always thought that superformance and e r a were close as far as quality and pricing, how ever lately used supers are quite a bit more than the used e r a. thoughts anyone?????