Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New to Me SPO 2169

Well picked it up yesterday after a 13 hour round trip with the 3/4 ton and a friends 26 foot enclosed trailer.

2005 with Roush 427R Fuel Injected, Tremec 3550 5 speed and 3:46 dana rear. 3200 miles.

Got it plated today and wife and I went for our first rip for an hour or so. It was 8 degrees C, but with heater on we had a blast, and at least it was sunny out.

Car needs a good compound and wax, (amateur detailers have left lots of swirls in the clear coat).

All is running well, except noticed a slight drip of oil after we got back...looks like it coming from near the block adapter plate....leak is not occurring as car sits....
Car came complete with Superformance Factory Cover with Stripes, soft top, (like new), tonneau, original lap belts.

Now that its finally home, I am sure to be posting some stupid questions until such time as I have a clear understanding of this this new toy.

First off I need to order an owners manual from Second Strike.

Only took 49 years to get to go for another ride in a cobra, but this time its mine.

Regards
Mike
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2014, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks great! Congratulations.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

She is a sweet one! Wow! Have fun!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Sweet ride! 8 deg. C and out for an hour - good for you. How does your wife like it? Does she tolerate or actually like it? FWIW, my wife tells me she likes it a lot more than she thought she was going to.

How many 'thumbs up', 'nice car' and other positive responses / reactions did you get?

I have a heater for mine too, but it's in a box in the garage, so I have to make do with the 460 CI heater. It's okay in those temperatures at city speeds, but a mite chilly at 90 - 110 km/hr. I was out on Sunday at about 8 C and I had the toque on for the highway leg heading home. FC here is for 9 C on Saturday - may be the last chance before the white stuff starts sticking around for a while.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car. I love the stacks!
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Car looks great.

The oil pressure gauge line at the block is famous for leaking. Also a number of people (me included) had to replace the intake manifold gasket on Roush engines due to leaks.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-31-2014, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Mike
Congratulations! She looks awesome If you are ever near Orillia let me know and I'll do likewise if I'm ever near Cobourg. It would be great to hook up with you. I'm sending you a "PM"

Stu.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice looking car, enjoy it. Contact Mike Stenhouse at Second strike for the manual. I concur regarding the oil loss, check your plugs to see if there is any excess oil on them and for uniformity. If only a couple of plugs, or one side seems to be burning more oil that may be a sign of an intake gasket leak. In addition to the other things mentioned by others, loosing oil only when the engine is running could be a sign of a leaking valve cover gasket.

You will be amazed at how warm these cars can be with the top and side curtains on. Just watch out for snow and ice.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

You want this: http://www.secondstrike.com/SecondSt...ore_OMM3E3.pdf

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, Mile, and welcome to the Cobra brotherhood.

I'm sure the car looks b i t c h i n' in your garage at home. It'll be near impossible to wipe the smile from your face for a while, I'm sure. Enjoy!

Last edited by SunDude; 10-31-2014 at 05:11 AM..
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     
Default Spo 2169

Way to go Mike. Great looking car...Timing not so as great. but even just looking and tinkering will keep the smile in place until the snow passes, or are you one of the wild crazy ones? Well done and enjoy
Ross
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Sweet ride! 8 deg. C and out for an hour - good for you. How does your wife like it? Does she tolerate or actually like it? FWIW, my wife tells me she likes it a lot more than she thought she was going to.

How many 'thumbs up', 'nice car' and other positive responses / reactions did you get?

I have a heater for mine too, but it's in a box in the garage, so I have to make do with the 460 CI heater. It's okay in those temperatures at city speeds, but a mite chilly at 90 - 110 km/hr. I was out on Sunday at about 8 C and I had the toque on for the highway leg heading home. FC here is for 9 C on Saturday - may be the last chance before the white stuff starts sticking around for a while.
Actually my wife does like it...shes not crazy on the sidepipes, but she will also drive it next time out....she knows how long I have been yearning for this car and all the car shows we got to we always admire any cobras we see.
It really was more than bearable yesterday, I brought ear muffs and touque, but didn't need them. Heater works awesome on the car, gonna put the soft top on this weekend.

Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Congrats! Car looks great.

The oil pressure gauge line at the block is famous for leaking. Also a number of people (me included) had to replace the intake manifold gasket on Roush engines due to leaks.
Thanks got the bug
yes I am aware of that line leak issue, it looks like its a pain in the ass to get at...its a very small leak 1 or 2 drips on the floor after a run, but enough that it needs to be addressed. I need to search and find out the best fix.
Yes, in recent tune up and setting up of EFI, it was discovered there was intake man leak...new gasket already installed.
Thanks for the congrats
Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Nice looking car, enjoy it. Contact Mike Stenhouse at Second strike for the manual. I concur regarding the oil loss, check your plugs to see if there is any excess oil on them and for uniformity. If only a couple of plugs, or one side seems to be burning more oil that may be a sign of an intake gasket leak. In addition to the other things mentioned by others, loosing oil only when the engine is running could be a sign of a leaking valve cover gasket.

You will be amazed at how warm these cars can be with the top and side curtains on. Just watch out for snow and ice.
Thanks 1795. This engine is not one of the ones that has issues burning oil. I am the third owner, (the second owner I bought from only had the car for 6 months). I had a long chat with the original owner and he had no issues on oil consumption, (thankfully). Also, plugs were just changed out and I spoke with the mechanic who did the work and plugs were all clean. Valve cover gaskets are good, I had the car on a hoist and I could see that the oil was coming from the block adapter plate. Just gotta figure how to get at it to see if is the AN thread/fitting or whether it is line to oil pressure gauge...suspecting the latter as it has been an issue, and as I have the full repair history of the car, I noted that this had been repaired in 2009 once before.

Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Thanks Mark IV and yes I do. If you join SCOF I understand there is a discount on these....is that correct?

Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
Congratulations, Mile, and welcome to the Cobra brotherhood.

I'm sure the car looks b i t c h i n' in your garage at home. It'll be near impossible to wipe the smile from your face for a while, I'm sure. Enjoy!
Hey Brian,
Thanks....your time and assistance on my search for a cobra was invaluable and I am indebted....
Heres a shot of her new "den" for the winter. Had a helluva time getting it licensed the correct way, (as per your instructions), but thank god I had the full history of the car in a binder...they needed to see the original bill of sale to title it correctly...took 2.5 hours, but got it done, and then was able to get out for our first drive, with "our " car...

Thanks again
Mike
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Mike
Congratulations! She looks awesome If you are ever near Orillia let me know and I'll do likewise if I'm ever near Cobourg. It would be great to hook up with you. I'm sending you a "PM"

Stu.
PM returned Stu, my sister lives in Midland...so may get up that way for sure. I sent you my contact info if you are ever down this way. Cobourg has a decent car show in the park by the beach in the summer, and I also plan to go to the big show in Brockville next year, (just because my daughter and grandson live there). Keep in touch
Mike
Old 10-31-2014, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
Way to go Mike. Great looking car...Timing not so as great. but even just looking and tinkering will keep the smile in place until the snow passes, or are you one of the wild crazy ones? Well done and enjoy
Ross
Thank you Ross. Ya, my garage isn't heated as of yet, but will be for next winter. As far as "one of the crazy ones" aren't we all
The car will get driven as much as possible, gonna fit the soft top this weekend. We will drive it on the good days, but as soon as we have snow, and they get out and salt the roads, she will get put in her "den" for the winter... nut until that time, as long as the roads are dry, and no salt has been spread, we will be out every chance we can get

Regards
Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP3033, KC SBF 427
Not Ranked     

Regarding wives and other driving "guests". My wife enjoys taking the cobra out and I wanted to keep it that way. One accident getting out and the horrendous burn you can get would risk losing this important driving companion. So, I bought a Superformance Kevlar heat blanket for the passenger side. It's a Kevlar blanket under a black leather sheet formed to just roll up between the door and seat. Very easy to deploy and roll up again.

You probably could make one much cheaper out of a welder's blanket but it wouldn't look as good.