Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dwight

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Flat SPF hood wanted or trade for scooped hood

Anybody have a flat hood they want to sell or trade for an MKIII? Have molded scoop hood available for trade.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

The Superformance hoods typically vary in outer edge fit from car to car as they are hand fit at the factory, and may require extensive edge trimming or worse, edge *filling* to fit another hood opening. In addition, Superformance changed their hood curvature when they raised the cowl on 1200-ish on up cars, so there are two significant hood shapes as well.

I would suggest it would be far easier and cheaper to simply "fill in" the scoop area on your hood in the less critical center of the hood rather than painstakingly file and fit the outer edges of another hood. Right now you *know* your hood fits with a perfect perimeter gap, so it would be relatively easier to just modify the center, than to switch hoods.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the intel Randall. I was thinking they would be primed and ready for paint and would have somewhat universal/interchangeable fitments along similar builds long the evolutionary change list. FWIW, the car in question is a 2xxx series MKIII.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

When you purchase a primed hood typically it is purposely made oversized to allowed to be had filed by the body professional for a perfect fit for every Superformance hood opening variation. This compensates for different shrinkage rates and one of the reasons Superformance is known for their excellent fit and consistent gaps at the hood, doors and trunk.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

66gtk,
I have a high cowl roadster hood in primer. I'll know if I'm going to use it in a month. We can talk if you are interested.
Jim 1855 & 2584
Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim - sent you a PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Thomas View Post
When you purchase a primed hood typically it is purposely made oversized to allowed to be had filed by the body professional for a perfect fit for every Superformance hood opening variation. This compensates for different shrinkage rates and one of the reasons Superformance is known for their excellent fit and consistent gaps at the hood, doors and trunk.
I'd have thought a company should be known for getting the bodies accurate at the production stage, rather than manually having to fix each body. For comparison, this body is straight out of the mold. Not filed back, not fixed/fitted, not even painted! This further shows the quality of the gel coat.
https://www.facebook.com/AbsolutePace/photos_stream
Old 01-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

they show how they fit the doors and hood in this 21 minute video

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTzhuROb_0[/ame]

Dwight
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.