Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Considering a Superformance have lots of questions

I a considering a Superformance Cobra and I have questions. I have read deep into the forums so I have information but it is starting to all blur together.

So here we go. I do not do things for resale, I do it for me.

1. I don't want two roll bars but I feel like I have to have 2 roll bars. Short wheel base big tires, not impossible to roll. Can a second roll bar be retrofit? What are the pros and cons of 2.

2. What is the cutoff for the latest version of the car. I have read over chassis 2000 is it.

3. Again I know it is frowned upon but I think in the end I am going to want a modern tire. To me that means 17" rims. Does anything have to be done to the suspension to make 17" rims work? Alignment, spring rates.....

4. How do you set the front to back / left to right balance of the car? I understand you need scales but how is it done?

5. What is the weak spot of the car? Every car has once what is the Superformance?

6. Is the flow through cooling any good in the passenger compartment?

7. Can shoulder belts be easily retrofit into the car.

I think that is a good start. I don't really want to get into contests about things like 2 roll bars biggers rims, I would be happy to discuss it but I really need answers to questions at this point. I realize that is impossible but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Bill
Old 12-25-2014, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
I a considering a Superformance Cobra and I have questions. I have read deep into the forums so I have information but it is starting to all blur together.

So here we go. I do not do things for resale, I do it for me.

Bill, I have owned a Superformance for the last 8 years. I do not have all the answers to your questions, but here are my comments. I love the car. It is here for the long term (guess it already is the long term)...
1. I don't want two roll bars but I feel like I have to have 2 roll bars. Short wheel base big tires, not impossible to roll. Can a second roll bar be retrofit? What are the pros and cons of 2. I have an Olthoff full width roll bar in mine. I think it is the best protection you can get. It does not look like the "hoop" rollbars. I am OK with that.
2. What is the cutoff for the latest version of the car. I have read over chassis 2000 is it.

3. Again I know it is frowned upon but I think in the end I am going to want a modern tire. To me that means 17" rims. Does anything have to be done to the suspension to make 17" rims work? Alignment, spring rates.....I have the standard 15" rims. I am pretty sure you can get the larger rims from Superformance. I am pretty sure you do not have to change any other settings if you do not wish to.
4. How do you set the front to back / left to right balance of the car? I understand you need scales but how is it done?

5. What is the weak spot of the car? Every car has once what is the Superformance? Beats me.

6. Is the flow through cooling any good in the passenger compartment? I do not feel any undo heat from the engine. Flow through cooling? Lots of wind blowing around my head.
7. Can shoulder belts be easily retrofit into the car. Not sure why they need to be retrofit. They come with the belts. If the one(s) you are considering do not have them, I think it is an easy fit.
I think that is a good start. I don't really want to get into contests about things like 2 roll bars biggers rims, I would be happy to discuss it but I really need answers to questions at this point. I realize that is impossible but I thought I would throw it out there.

You are welcome. Hope you enjoy your Superformance as much as I enjoy mine!!!
Bill
Jack........
Old 12-25-2014, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Bill, you cannot go wrong with a Superformance, IMO. Here's my two cents on your questions.

Quote:

So here we go. I do not do things for resale, I do it for me. Right on! It's your car, so make sure it's the one you've always dreamt about. That way, you'll always be happy with it.

1. I don't want two roll bars but I feel like I have to have 2 roll bars. Short wheel base big tires, not impossible to roll. Can a second roll bar be retrofit? What are the pros and cons of 2.

You don't need two roll bars. If you want two, fine. If not, one will do. The odds of you rolling the car are remote, but the odds of you being rear ended are much higher in which case hitting the roll bar with your head is more likely.

I don't remember this off the top of my head, but I recall the differential being a different unit from the high 2000s (>2800 or so). I think this was the last substantive change.

3. Again I know it is frowned upon but I think in the end I am going to want a modern tire. To me that means 17" rims. Does anything have to be done to the suspension to make 17" rims work? Alignment, spring rates.....

Lots of Superformance owners have 17-inch Halibrands. You can buy 'em directly from your Superformance dealer, or use another brand. I run 15s, so can't comment about the changes needed.

Never done this.

5. What is the weak spot of the car? Every car has once what is the Superformance?

I have not found a weak spot, mechanically speaking. The SPF is not 100% authentic, but it's pretty darn close and only the diehard purists will spot the differences. IMO, the stance is a bit high, but you can adjust this to suit your tastes.

6. Is the flow through cooling any good in the passenger compartment?

Excellent. The fresh air vents to the footboxes are very effective. It's never been too hot in my car for comfort.

This is a simple retrofit. There are mounting points on the frame and ready-to-cut-out holes in the rear bulkhead.

If you buy a Superformance Cobra, I'd recommend you join the SCOF owners club. It's a wealth of technical information and support.

Bill
Old 12-25-2014, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The question about roll bars and shoulder harnesses has been discussed here recently.

The issue is not whether they can be installed but whether it is wise to do so.

Shelby American WILL NOT INSTALL HARNESSES ON THE PASSENGER SIDE DUE TO SAFETY REASONS. It's all about whether you want your passenger to be the roll bar if there isn't one installed.

See here:

Advice on Mounting my Should Harness for SPF #205

And particularly response #9.

I will tell you that when I ride in a Cobra with passenger side harnesses and no roll bar I do not use them.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Neutral     

get a backdraft

bigger tires, BMW suspension, meaner stance, younger hot rod appeal, $10-$15K cheaper.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

He's baaaaaaaack!
kayakjack likes this.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
get a backdraft

bigger tires, BMW suspension, meaner stance, younger hot rod appeal, $10-$15K cheaper.
And this suggestion is based upon YOUR experience driving which "Cobra"? Oh, yeah, I forgot.......a Nissan Leaf is a direct replacement so you know all about these cars......................................

Perhaps a Backdraft might be a better choice for the OP, or maybe a FFR or whatever. But he asked questions of people who ACTUALLY KNOW what they speak of, not someone who has read some posts and regurgitates "opinion".
Blas, kayakjack and 1795 like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-26-2014, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Don't feed the trolls...
Hydramada and kayakjack like this.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

SPFs are great -
Weak spot of the SPF as far as I can tell are fairly petty.

1. Roll bar not quite at the right angles.
2. Radiator is mounted as such that it tilts forwards as opposed to tilting back.
3. (This ones debatable, but) shape of rear arches aren't quite the same (or as nice) as say an ERA, Kirkham or CSX.

Else, not much else I can recall.

With regard to your other questions.
They're all easily enough negotiated without drama.

The way I see it. you can't go wrong with an SPF.

FWIW: I don't own an SPF, nor do I have shares in the company.

Last edited by Dimis; 12-26-2014 at 01:05 PM..
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
And this suggestion is based upon YOUR experience driving which "Cobra"? Oh, yeah, I forgot.......a Nissan Leaf is a direct replacement so you know all about these cars......................................

Perhaps a Backdraft might be a better choice for the OP, or maybe a FFR or whatever. But he asked questions of people who ACTUALLY KNOW what they speak of, not someone who has read some posts and regurgitates "opinion".
Rick don't you remember? NYG spent something like 6-8 hours "behind the wheel" of a Cobra or Cobras and accumulated 100-200 miles of seat time. I'm thinking he has gotten so used to driving so slowly with the Nissan Leaf that he couldnt depress the accelerator pedal hard enough to achieve 20-25 mph in the Cobra.
kayakjack likes this.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

No changes required to convert rim size. The larger rim will generally up the spring rate, as tires will be lower profile with stiffer sidewalls.

5. What is the weak spot of the car?

They're not the best handling from the factory, more of a highway cruise setup. I've changed a lot on my car to better the handling for Autocross and track.

Yes, mine are 5 points installed at Olthoffs shop.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post

No changes required to convert rim size. The larger rim will generally up the spring rate, as tires will be lower profile with stiffer sidewalls.

5. What is the weak spot of the car?

They're not the best handling from the factory, more of a highway cruise setup. I've changed a lot on my car to better the handling for Autocross and track.

Yes, mine are 5 points installed at Olthoffs shop.
What have you done to the suspension?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

NYG's comments remind me of that show, 'Kids Say The Darndest Things'.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What have you done to the suspension?
You'll want single/double adjustable shocks and stiffer springs. Cobra valley has just what you need.
The side pipes that spf provides are really restrictive. If you have more than 350 horsepower, you'll want to replace them with free flowing pipes at least 2 1/2" inside diameter. Stock pipes are around 1 3/4" inside. Very quiet and restrictive.
The 17" wheels fit with no problem. Other than that, they're good to go.

Last edited by jhv48; 12-26-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Here's one for NYG...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
You'll want single/double adjustable shocks and stiffer springs. Cobra valley has just what you need.
The side pipes that spf provides are really restrictive. If you have more than 350 horsepower, you'll want to replace them with free flowing pipes at least 2 1/2" inside diameter. Stock pipes are around 1 3/4" inside. Very quiet and restrictive.
The 17" wheels fit with no problem. Other than that, they're good to go.
Can you explain single/double adjustable shocks? What does it do to the ride?

From everything I have read people are wearing earplugs driving these cars. They need less restrictive exhaust, it seems they hardly have exhaust?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
get a backdraft

Those are the things that make back draft better.... Don't hire this guy to sell well ..... Anything!

Superformance is a great choice, you won't regret it. Well built machine.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Can you explain single/double adjustable shocks? What does it do to the ride?
"Double adjustable" shocks allow you to "tune" the shock in both rebound and jounce. For track use or VERY spirited road work they give an advantage. For normal cruising and occasional hotfooting the standard configuration works just fine. I would guess less than 20% of Superformance owners upgrade the suspension, shocks or sway bars.

Quote:
From everything I have read people are wearing earplugs driving these cars. They need less restrictive exhaust, it seems they hardly have exhaust?
Some people like a louder exhaust and some need every extra horsepower they can find. Again, the majority of SPF owners are fine with the factory system. There are some very nice aftermarket systems available like the Firefly setup. You will gain power and can specify the noise level with these but they are slightly pricey.

If noise is a concern consider the "Roadster" model with undercar/rear exiting exhaust. I have several customers who have specified this and I can put you in touch for their experiences with it.

Feel free to call with any questions, if we can't answer them we can refer you to a customer with a car like you may be considering and they can offer you help.

We also have a New York registered resale car available. Indigo Blue with white stripes and a Ford Racing 392 CID/475 HP through a TKO600 .82 OD trans.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-27-2014, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The stock shocks and springs are fine but can be a bit bouncy. The adjustable shocks and heavier springs can tune the ride to your satisfaction. I, personally, didn't like the softness so I upgraded to the adjustable shocks and heavier springs. If you're a heavy guy and/or often take a passenger with you, you might prefer a beefier setup. I'm not, but I always travel with my wife as a passenger so the total cabin weight is always about 310 lbs.

As for the side pipes, if you spend big bucks buying a high horsepower engine, the stock side pipes will effectively choke its performance. If you go with a sub 400 horse engine, the stock pipes should be fine. Mine had an inside diameter of 1 3/4" and were very quiet. I swapped them for some 3" diameter pipes so that my 550 horsepower engine could exhale efficiently. Seemed to make a heck of a difference in the seat of the pants feel.

Once again, the stock spf is fine as it comes. These are just some of the things I've noticed and addressed in my 20,000 miles of driving one.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Detroit Bill,

I have a Superformance Roadster. Undercar exhaust. If you wish to discuss it's sound (or anything else) please send me a PM.

I do not wear earplugs.

You might also consider taking up Mark IV on his offer to check out the car he has for sale. You will learn a lot. Hey, it might be the one.

Jack

Last edited by kayakjack; 12-27-2014 at 06:53 PM..