Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregwindsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question New Superformance Owner!

Hi

I'm Greg from Windsor Ontario and I'm excited to say that I have purchased a car from Long Island, New York!

I have had a carrier transport for me. Its been a nail biting experience with cancelled transportation because of record snowstorms, a dozen insurance brokers that wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, running from government office to office, brokers, and sweating the customs clearance on both sides of the border.....but it finally in Canada in the carrier's warehouse in Toronto.......Yahoo! They expect to be able to deliver to me in Windsor on Wednesday of this week.

My next process is going to be licensing....ugh!

Hoping that someone has has this experience with importing a car from the US into Canada. I would appreciate any advise that you might be able to offer!

The car was manufactured in 1999 so it is not regulated by the RIV. I believe that it would be my best bet to register it as a kit car? I am told that this will allow me to avoid emission testing. I was hoping that there might be someone else that has already been through this that might be able to give me some guidance?

Regards,
Greg
mjl likes this.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #633, 351w stroker, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     
Default RE Your New SPF

Welcome and Enjoy - You have a great ride! Being a Californian I know nothing about Canada vehicle laws. Good luck.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Hello Greg! Welcome to the madness. Congratulations on purchasing your Superformance. Your going to love it. Did you purchase SPO626? Call Zehr's Insurance Co. as they specialize in insuring Cobra's. They have fantastic rates as well. There is a fellow Canuck on this site "Sundude" and I know he will chime in. He is very knowledgeable about the import laws and should be able to help you. If you have any questions about your new ride drop me a line I'll be glad to help.

Stu.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Greg
I forgot to mention, make sure you title your car as a "Kit" if you do you will be Drive Clean Exempt (No Emission Testing) and that is what you want.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregwindsor View Post
Hi

I'm Greg from Windsor Ontario and I'm excited to say that I have purchased a car from Long Island, New York!

I have had a carrier transport for me. Its been a nail biting experience with cancelled transportation because of record snowstorms, a dozen insurance brokers that wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, running from government office to office, brokers, and sweating the customs clearance on both sides of the border.....but it finally in Canada in the carrier's warehouse in Toronto.......Yahoo! They expect to be able to deliver to me in Windsor on Wednesday of this week.

My next process is going to be licensing....ugh!

Hoping that someone has has this experience with importing a car from the US into Canada. I would appreciate any advise that you might be able to offer!

The car was manufactured in 1999 so it is not regulated by the RIV. I believe that it would be my best bet to register it as a kit car? I am told that this will allow me to avoid emission testing. I was hoping that there might be someone else that has already been through this that might be able to give me some guidance?

Regards,
Greg
Greg - congrats on your SPF!!!

In case you are interested check out our Club, Great Lakes Cobra Club Great Lakes Cobra Club, Great Lakes Cobra Club. I release even if you are just across the tunnel it is still a chore to get to events. But wanted you to be aware. We have many great events planned this year - Great Lakes Cobra Club, Great Lakes Cobra Club - GLCC Events Calendar

Wish you well with registration!!

Jeff
Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Congratulations, Greg, on buying what looks to be a fantastic Superformance Cobra!

Once the spring weather finally arrives, I'm sure you'll be thrilled to drive it.

I sent you an email with some details about Ontario registration "must dos." Stu and I both had to deal with the same Drive Clean matter, so please believe what we're saying.

Once you've dealt with the paperwork, then you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Hello Greg! Welcome to the madness. Congratulations on purchasing your Superformance. Your going to love it. Did you purchase SPO626? Call Zehr's Insurance Co. as they specialize in insuring Cobra's. They have fantastic rates as well. There is a fellow Canuck on this site "Sundude" and I know he will chime in. He is very knowledgeable about the import laws and should be able to help you. If you have any questions about your new ride drop me a line I'll be glad to help.

Stu.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your Superformance and yes you will love it as I love mine. Welcome
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Superformance are great cars!

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your purchase.
It would be great to hear the process for bringing a car in Canada.
The issue comes up so often here on CC.
When the dust settles, drop me an email and I’ll give you a heads up on a few things to check on the car.
Just precautionary stuff…. (my email below)
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

There's the federal stuff that applies to import eligibility, and the rest that applies to licensing it in each province or territory (are there any Cobras in the territories?). The federal stuff applies throughout Canada, while the provincial legislation and regulations varies by province - sometimes quite significantly.

The fact the car is in Canada means you've passed one of the big hurdles, but there will be some FMVSS issues to be covered during safety inspection and licensing. Obviously you're in Ontario and therefore focused on that provincial scheme, er, regime - so I'll spare you the horror stories of getting a Cobra through safety inspection in Saskatchewan and leave them up to the folks familiar with Ontario rules & regulations.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #253 Silver/Black 358 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Congrats of your Superformance! Have a great time cruising in your new ride!

I do recommend the wiring diagram from Blas. Ours has been a lifesaver more than once already!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congrats Greg,

Is she at home now?
Good luck with the registration process...took me a full day but got it done correctly.
If you need any help let me know

Mike
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats. Look forward to seeing your Cobra around town. We sometime venture across the bridge to dine in the little Italy section of Windsor which is great.