Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark IV

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Right side pipe sits too low

While working on SP1352 (351 engine), I noticed that the right (passenger) side pipe sits too low in the opening and that the bodywork already shows a small crack.

After reading up on it, I learned that this seems to be a common issue and can be solved by adding a few shims under the right engine mount.

So I planned to do that today.

But on removing the side pipe, I discovered there was already a (very crude) 3/8" spacer on the flange and 3 shims (total stack height approx. 5/16") under the engine mount.

Should I install a spacer wedge on the flange?

Can I raise the engine further with another shim?

Are there any problems / risks, for example can I tilt it too far?

Thanks!

Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by dan512; 04-26-2015 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm not completely sure of the motor mounts used by SPF and a 351 motor, but a lot of mounts allow quite a bit of movement or rotation of the engine when the bolts are loose. It may be that you just need to loosen the mounts and rotate/shift the engine on the mounts a little to raise the low side.

Of course that will slightly lower the other side also and if you think the sidepipes sit perfect on that side now - this may not get you where you want to be.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Dan;
You may have the wrong motor mounts. The first set I tried left a 1 1/4" gap between my flanges so I ended up going with a stock set for a Galaxy, which worked perfectly.
Bill
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The SPF factory supplies shims to use under the engine mount pedestal. If you need some I will send some at no cost.

The "Galaxie" mounts are for the FE, not a 351 Windsor. Often the mounts used by some installers are soft and allow too much engine "rocking" to occur. I suggest the polyurethane mounts available to limit the engine movement.

You can measure the clearance from the air cleaner top to the hood/hood scoop to determine how much the engine can be raised. If the amount of shim is excessive you can use a "wedge" spacer to raise or lower the sidepipe in the body opening.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-26-2015, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
The SPF factory supplies shims to use under the engine mount pedestal. If you need some I will send some at no cost.

The "Galaxie" mounts are for the FE, not a 351 Windsor. Often the mounts used by some installers are soft and allow too much engine "rocking" to occur. I suggest the polyurethane mounts available to limit the engine movement.

You can measure the clearance from the air cleaner top to the hood/hood scoop to determine how much the engine can be raised. If the amount of shim is excessive you can use a "wedge" spacer to raise or lower the sidepipe in the body opening.
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the offer. I do live in Europe though, so shipping would cost you an arm and a leg.

Like I said, there are already 3 shims installed pn the pedestal, plus the flange spacer, which I find strange. I've only read about wedges, not about the flat flange spacers.

Would you have an explanation for this?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

My SPF 427sc and Coupe right side pipe hangs lower. Why is that?

Jeff
Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the offer. I do live in Europe though, so shipping would cost you an arm and a leg.

Like I said, there are already 3 shims installed pn the pedestal, plus the flange spacer, which I find strange. I've only read about wedges, not about the flat flange spacers.

Would you have an explanation for this?
Keep in mind that that the engine may be "offset" and the flat spacer is to provide the spacing needed for the sidepipe to clear the body.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Keep in mind that that the engine may be "offset" and the flat spacer is to provide the spacing needed for the sidepipe to clear the body.
That's a possibility.

I'll just rig a a temporary construction and fill the gap with washers to see if I can get the sidepipe where I want it to be in the opening with a wedge type spacer.

For the spacers, I noticed there's models with 4 individual holes for each header pipe (Craig has them on his site http://craigscobras.com/parts/spacer/ ) and the one's Breeze sells http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=719&cat_id=26 which are just an outside frame with one big hole in the middle.

What are the advantages / disadavantegs for each type ?

Last edited by dan512; 04-27-2015 at 05:45 AM..
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
That's a possibility.

I'll just rig a a temporary construction and fill the gap with washers to see if I can get the sidepipe where I want it to be in the opening with a wedge type spacer.

For the spacers, I noticed there's models with 4 individual holes for each header pipe (Craig has them on his site New Page 1 ) and the one's Breeze sells Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing which are just an outside frame with one big hole in the middle.

What are the advantages / disadavantegs for each type ?
I would say Craig's Cobras is better more gasket surface area will be compressed.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You need the four hole type Craig sells as there are fasteners on the flange that will pull on the inner area and cause gasket failure without the support. We have used Craig's and they are unmatched for lack of failure.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Mark;
The mounts I tried first were poly's made for the 351W. The replacements were also poly but much thinner with a large steel rivet through both sides for security. I bought them locally, crossed to the part # listed in my manual, and they were listed for early
60's Galaxies. I guess that's shoes for industry.
Bill
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllib View Post
I guess that's shoes for industry.
Bill
"Shoes for the dead! Hey what chance does a returning dead war veteran have for the free mule and more sugar?"

Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllib View Post
Mark;
The mounts I tried first were poly's made for the 351W. The replacements were also poly but much thinner with a large steel rivet through both sides for security. I bought them locally, crossed to the part # listed in my manual, and they were listed for early
60's Galaxies. I guess that's shoes for industry.
Bill
Your car uses the Galaxie type mount, the Windsor SPFs use a 60s/70s Mustang/Fairlane type mount.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: