Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     
Default Right Rear noise(VIDEO ADDED)

When I hit the brakes, I hear a right rear rubbing, clicking. I pulled wheel, looked, spun wheel by hand, inspected brakes and rotors, all looked good. Any ideas?

Last edited by rgnbull1227; 09-10-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
When I hit the brakes, I hear a right rear rubbing, clicking. I pulled wheel, looked, spun wheel by hand, inspected brakes and rotors, all looked good. Any ideas?
Check the axle shafts and u joints.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a video/sound of the braking noise you can hear as I come to a stop.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2G7dqSMS4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2G7dqSMS4[/ame]
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Have you checked the caliper bolts?
JD
Old 09-10-2015, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Someone recently found the anti-rattle clips installed on the wrong side of the brake pad. Caused clicking sound.
Agreed Jaydee, check caliper mounting bolts.
Also the top shock mount.
Pins are tight on the wheel adapted..... wheel is tight....
If you coast to a stop, do you still hear the noise or only when braking?
Both pads are making contact with disk when braking?
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look deeper, driveline area.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

The video was interesting. Might be interesting to do it again and turn the engine off on the coast down. I thought I hear it as you accelerated away. I am thinking CV joint on the axle.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input guys. It only happens when braking. Lift off the brake, no sound.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will do the video again. I didnt film this to show the sound, which is why its on the drivers side. But in playing back I heard the sound and figured id share. I will take video from the right side right near the rear wheel and also kill engine as I brake.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Look at the surface of the rotors

rgnbull1227 I would take a hard look at the rotor surfaces. Sounds like a hot spot. If it happens when only hitting the brakes and not any other time, I would look at the surface of the rotors. Make sure there is no burnt spots where the pads where very hot and the cooled off against the rotor surface and leave a mark. Un like rusted surface, a couple of stops and this goes away. The other thing is pull the pads and check for cracking or loose pad to backing plate. Also check for pad being flat. Put pad on a flat surface and check for warpage. If none found, get 80 grit sand paper and sand the pads side until you see all new surface on the pad reinstall. I like Brake quiet on the back of the pads, some guys like the high temp grease. This is not the grease you use on the ball joints and tierod ends. Sand the rotors in a circling movement. Reassembly and road test. I think the noise will be gone. If not, better take a hard look at all the universals and grease them if possible.
Silly thought, nothing is catch in the thread of the tire?? Also, raise the tire and check for end play of this side hub. grap top and bottom and see if it wiggles. DON'T have your hands on the bottom of the wheel where it could hit the ground and crush your hand. Wiggle play in not alot. The bearing in the hub assembly could be loose or wearing out also. Start with brakes. Good luck Rick L. Ps hard to hear but is the noise a little on accell too??
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

e-brake parts rattling around I would be my guess
Old 09-11-2015, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Went for a ride and moved camera next to right rear wheel. There is some wind noise so its hard to hear at higher speed but I killed the engine and came to a stop. When coasting and no brakes, totally quiet. Not a sound. When I grab the brakes you can hear the noise. Second video, did the same but I pulsed the brakes as I came to a stop, As you can clearly hear the sound only when pressing the brakes. Hate youtube. Take great HD Video and they compress it till its blurry.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUYrTWJGOs&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUYrTWJGOs&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6AeAxEgRY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6AeAxEgRY[/ame]
Old 09-11-2015, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Check the proximity of the pad edges and the disk edge. It's easy to remove the pads and break the 90 degree edge on them. Both sides make the noise right?
Nothing rubbing on the inside of the rim........
You have a driveshaft parking brake?
If you can get the rear of the car securely off the ground, you could remove the wheels and run the car and see the brakes operate while braking.
Look for a pad chattering, but being close to the noise location might help locate it.
This would also eliminate the suspension as a source....
Wonder if a caliper piston is not moving....

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 09-11-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Old 09-11-2015, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Noise only from right rear. Not sure on the drive shaft parking brake.