Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance , Roush 427SR dyno'd at 526 hp
Not Ranked     
Default Gas gauge

My gas gauge will only register 1/4 when I fill the tank on my SPF. When the key is turned off it falls to zero. I have read that the gauge can be adjusted to give a more accurate reading. Has anyone done this and what are the tips for carrying this out?

Thanks,
Lou
Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I ended up needing to buy one of these:

VOLTAGE STABILIZER INSTRUMENT Neg earth

Usually the stock one (Which is a weird kind of dc/ac converter thing) is broken/worn out, causing the reading to be way off.

Not saying this is your problem, but if it's the regulator in the dash, this is a great upgraded component that should never wear out.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My gas gauge is about as trustworthy as Hillary C...Full is full, 3/4 is half, half is almost empty and a quarter is fumes...

Also when i tried an elec oil press gauge it was completely wackadoodle...wonder if this is my real problem?

My pwr outlet volt meter reads pretty high too...running its about 14.5 and off about 12.6? It matches volts in my truck so its not the meter.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
My gas gauge is about as trustworthy as Hillary C...Full is full, 3/4 is half, half is almost empty and a quarter is fumes...
Unreliable gas gauges seem to be pretty common. My Smith gauge reads just below full when full and reads empty when there is still about 1/4 tank left. So, I reset the trip odometer every fill-up and know I have 180 - 190 miles before I have about 1 gallon left. The gauge is consistent, but I just don't trust it.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember, the smiths gauge is (technically) a 10v instrument in that the sensor circuit is tuned for 10v stabilized sent to the level indicator, with resistance measured across that at the tank. Hence the voltage regulator mentioned above. if it's getting 12v at the sensor (or more) it's reading incorrectly because the voltage 'stabilizer' has seized up. It's really whacky set-up IMO. Going to a solid-state regulator will address the issues and give years of trouble-free life.

Dan

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember, the smiths gauge is (technically) a 10v instrument in that the sensor circuit is tuned for 10v stabilized sent to the level indicator, with resistance measured across that at the tank. Hence the voltage regulator mentioned above. if it's getting 12v at the sensor (or more) it's reading incorrectly because the voltage 'stabilizer' has seized up. It's really whacky set-up IMO. Going to a solid-state regulator will address the issues and give years of trouble-free life.

Dan

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I pulled the carpet from the trunk and removed the cover to the tank and the float/sender assembly. Drain the tank to half a tank just splitting the difference between the top of the tank on zero. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it was a 7" deep tank so 3.5". Then you just bend the float till it reads 1/2 full. Mine reads just fine now. Still have to remember that the first half of the tank last longer then the second half due to the shape of the tank. You can always have it read slightly lower then half so you have a bit of reserve, but I have run mine right to E and still made it to the gas station and filled up with around 15 to 16 gallons on a 17 gallon tank.

Scott