Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhv48

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oil capacity question

I have a coast HP 427W (351) with a Canton 15-630s oil pan. The Canton website puts the its oil capacity at 8 quarts.

What should my dip stick be calibrated at for full and low (in qts)?

I think the 8 qt capacity of the pan is assumed to include a filter? I question is how much additional oil does the cooler and plumbing need?

Thanks
Steve H
SPO #1764
Old 09-26-2015, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Drain the oil and then put in 7 quarts of oil. That's your add mark on the dipstick. Now add another quart of oil. That's your full mark. The filter and cooler don't have anything to do with it.

Now start the engine and let it fill the cooler and filter. Check your dipstick and fill to the high mark on the dipstick to bring your pan back to 8 quarts.
DWRAT likes this.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My dip stick is WAYYY Off...

Assuming the engine builder set up the dipstick in this 'turn-key' engine they really screwed up: The full level corresponds to about 12 qts, 7 qts just wets the tip...8 is not much more.

Finally looked up the volume of the pan, after fighting with dip stick ejecting and weird running...Only to find this.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Seems to happen a lot. My Roush engine came with a 9 quart pan. They advertised it as a 7 quart pan. The dipstick Read full at 7 quarts. Didn't believe it so I took the pan off and measured the capacity. Sure enough, it was a 9 quart pan. So, I marked the dipstick for 8 and then 9 quarts.
Seven quarts is still fine, but I don't let it get lower than that.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that i have the correct amount of oil in there the pressure is reading low; It is now sort of a constant 37 psi whereas before it was sort of constantly 65+ psi...I did go from 20w50 to 0w40 which is a dramatic change, but the weird thing is the mechanical gauge (went back to it as the electric was a POS)...The car is running GREAT with the lighter and correct amount of oil, but the low reading at higher revs bothers me...is 37psi just indicative of great flow? Also noticed that the valves have really quieted down. I've read that quite a few guys run 0W40...but is it too light for THIS motor?
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Have you asked the engine builder what weight oil he designed the engine to use?
Some builders like high flow across the bearings, some run tighter tolerances.
0w40 seem like an odd choice. This is why your oil pressure is so low now.
I prefer Gibbs HR 20-50 dino oil. Perfect for my engine

Last edited by JBCOBRA; 09-28-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Old 09-28-2015, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
Now that i have the correct amount of oil in there the pressure is reading low; It is now sort of a constant 37 psi whereas before it was sort of constantly 65+ psi...I did go from 20w50 to 0w40 which is a dramatic change,
I'm starting to wonder if you are a serious person or just messing around on the internet.
Either way, your entertaining to say the least.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
I'm starting to wonder if you are a serious person or just messing around on the internet.
Either way, your entertaining to say the least.
What a strange thing to say...I'm trying to sort out a car that sat for years and has issues, fewer and fewer as i go, sorry to wast your time sire...
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

10w/30 or 20w/50. One should suit your needs.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What a strange thing to say...I'm trying to sort out a car that sat for years and has issues, fewer and fewer as i go, sorry to wast your time sire...
No worries, I like wasting time.
I just don't know where you came up with using 0w-40 in a old school 427?
Now for your new BMW or Porsche, sure 0-40 would be great.
Get yourself some 10w-40 if your not happy with 20w-50.
Your oil pressure will be closer to 55-60 with 10w-40.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now that i have the correct amount of oil in there the pressure is reading low; It is now sort of a constant 37 psi whereas before it was sort of constantly 65+ psi...I did go from 20w50 to 0w40 which is a dramatic change, but the weird thing is the mechanical gauge (went back to it as the electric was a POS)...The car is running GREAT with the lighter and correct amount of oil, but the low reading at higher revs bothers me...is 37psi just indicative of great flow? Also noticed that the valves have really quieted down. I've read that quite a few guys run 0W40...but is it too light for THIS motor?
tortuga, I would say that 37psi is fine with a 0W-40 oil.
Reasoning - years ago, one of the Australian motoring magazines drove a twin cam Alfa from Sydney to Perth (4000km / 2500 miles) in 29 hours, averaging 85mph including all stops. For almost the whole distance, the engine was running at 10psi, with no damage. Problem most likely was one of the slugs that blank off the crank oilway cross drillings came out (same thing has happened to mine, twice), so pressure at crank bearings was minimal.
If you have 37psi with 0W-40, you're laughing.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-29-2015, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Solved!!

Found the problem while surfing the net in an MG forum in all places: If (like me) you replace your bulbs with nice bright LEDs, they are a little longer: In the press gauge they interfere with the workings of the bourdon tube, effectively putting a high stop on oil pressure!

Need to make a little spacer for oil pressure light...