Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-25-2015, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance No. 1359 / 351
Not Ranked     
Default Smiths water temp gauge

I need a new/used Smiths water temp gauge (mechanical) for SPO 1359. The one in the car staring reading low last week and today it will not move. The car is warming up and the T-stat is working perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Nisonger. They now make an electric smiths water temp gauge. Eliminates the capillary tube. Works great and looks just like the original.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Nisonger. They now make an electric smiths water temp gauge. Eliminates the capillary tube. Works great and looks just like the original.
Thanks Jim for the source and recommendation on the electric WT gauge. I will look Nisonger up.

Jamie
Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try APT Instruments.
Home
Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SUPERFORMANCE MKIII - GAUGE WATER TEMP [SUP-00-010-00078] - $226.97 : ShopSuperformance.com, Home of Superformance parts
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks. Ordered the WT gauge from Hillbank (Dave). It shipped the same day and for a great price.

Jamie

Last edited by jcam; 10-28-2015 at 05:48 AM..
Old 10-29-2015, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Make sure you don't have an air pocket that is keeping the sensor out of the coolant flow. I had that and the readings were spurious.

There are several ways to 'burp' the system....if you need more detail you can search for it on this forum.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
Make sure you don't have an air pocket that is keeping the sensor out of the coolant flow. I had that and the readings were spurious.

There are several ways to 'burp' the system....if you need more detail you can search for it on this forum.
Thank you for this recommendation. I did remove the expansion tank cap the other and let the car through several cycles. Many air bubbles did come out. I will search the form for the "burp" the system thread.

Jamie
Old 10-29-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Trust me, that's not enough. I ended up adding a tee to the heater line from the intake to the heater core (not the one from the water pump side). That allows me to fill the area with coolant manually and thus get the air out of the system that way.

I just buy one of those Prestone flush-n-fill kits from the local NAPA just for the tee and the hose clamps. Easy fix for this problem. I think they are well under $10.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W"]Amazon.com: Prestone AF-KIT Flush 'N Fill Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61hzJbLqqSL.@@AMEPARAM@@61hzJbLqqSL[/ame]

Another point is to make sure that the thermostat has the small bleed hole pointing 'up' when installing it.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried an electric oil pressure gauge and it was an absolute POS, weird readings, then finally failed high after a week. (Go figure English electrics who would have thunk...)
Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
I tried an electric oil pressure gauge and it was an absolute POS, weird readings, then finally failed high after a week. (Go figure English electrics who would have thunk...)
Was it the smiths electric gauge or some other brand? New from Nisonger or some other source? My electric smiths oil temp gauge works perfectly so far. Was thinking of swapping to all electric as the rest fail, which they will.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Water Temp Gauge removal / install

I received the new WT gauge and started to remove the existing gauge only to realize the gauge will not slide out past the turn signal assembly/steering column. Do I have to pull the steering wheel/TSA off to remove/install the gauge?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcam View Post
I received the new WT gauge and started to remove the existing gauge only to realize the gauge will not slide out past the turn signal assembly/steering column. Do I have to pull the steering wheel/TSA off to remove/install the gauge?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
No, you shouldn't need to remove the steering column. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and was able to get it out with a little maneuvering.

Ted
Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnride View Post
No, you shouldn't need to remove the steering column. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and was able to get it out with a little maneuvering.

Ted
Thanks Ted. I will try again this evening.

Jamie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: