Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Karl Bebout

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default MPG with 351 Ford Racing crate engine

Hi!

Just wondering what mpg I should get from my 351 Ford Racing crate engine with Holley Speed Demon 750 carb.

Is 12-13 mpg for normal street driving not way on the high side?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

My first Cobra had a similar 351 with T5 and 3.54 gears. It got 15mpg on the highway and less in town.

John
Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I get.
8-10 mpg in town.
15-16 mpg highway
21.07 mpg on highway when in Eco mode. (No playing at all)
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My 410 ci Windsor with lots of aftermarket parts averages about 14 MPG. 80% of driving is on open roads near the speed limit.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
I get.
8-10 mpg in town.
15-16 mpg highway
21.07 mpg on highway when in Eco mode. (No playing at all)
So I'm quite on the high side. I get the 12-13 mpg on normal easy cruising on secondary roads, with speeds from 40-60 mph.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Dan,
Who tuned the carburetor? Some builders err on the rich side to prevent a lean condition from damaging the engine.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-11-2016, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

I think you will get a different answer from everyone. I have a 427 with quite a bit of overlap and I can't do better than 10-11mpg with a 3:31 rear gear. The car has a Q-Fuel 750 with mechanical secondaries and has been dyno tuned. What I have not done is part throttle tune it on the open road with a wide band. A local friend has a 445 more aggressive Windsor with a larger carb than mine with 3.46 gears and it was dyno tuned by the same guy mine was......he gets 1mpg or so better than me so go figure.

I talked to a guy yesterday with a 598ci big block making 800hp with a solid roller and a 1050 dominator and he said he runs 3:73 rear gears and can get 15mpg on the interstate after tuning his car with a wideband. This blows my mind if its true.....he would have absolutely no reason not be truthful about the MPG but who the heck knows. I don't see how you wouldn't get 5mpg with something like that

Based off my limited experience depending on rear gear and camshaft selectiong I don't see why you wouldn't be getting at least 15mpg if you are cruising.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I was thinking along the same lines. It's just a 351 with 380hp. Don't even want to know where I'll end up if I floor t.

Maybe I should get soemone else too look at the carb setup.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
Yes I was thinking along the same lines. It's just a 351 with 380hp. Don't even want to know where I'll end up if I floor t.

Maybe I should get soemone else too look at the carb setup.
Gas mileage really isn't that big of an issue but it is one of those things were if I should be getting 15mpg I want my 15mpg....not 8mpg. Personally its annoying getting crappy mileage.

Does your car run well? I don't think it hurts you one bit to set aside $300-$400 and get it tuned on a dyno. The other option is to buy your own wideband and tune it yourself. If you are handy enough, patient and understand carbs then the wideband street tuning would be the best option. I have no idea why people don't tune these things themselves or invest $400 in a dyno tune. Too many people set the float bowls and get the idle right and think "yeah this thing is tuned!"
Old 06-11-2016, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I'm not a proponent of dyno tuning for cruise cycles. Every dyno chart I've seen begins at 3500 rpm. The best way to set your carb for cruise is to reduce the size of the primary main jet until the car starts to buck when cruising at a steady speed on a flat surface in third gear. Say 2500 rpm. Then raise the jet size until it cruises comfortably at that speed. The bucking indicates a lean condition. Then take it for a cruise and check your plugs. That's about as close as you can get without using a Wideband.
Tune wot on a dyno!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

This is my second one and 8 around town and 14 on the road...the fuel gages are seldom more than a estimate so I just start looking to refuel after 100 miles....that is ok with me....3 hours in one of these things is about a half hour too long, so I am ready for a walk about...
Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2729, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Mpg

Drive it like you stole it = 4 MPG
Drive it like you're 72 years old = 10 MPG

351W by Performance Engineering stroked to 408 with a 650 CFM Speed Demon. 476 HP 467 Torque.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I get

Highway 10 mpg
City.....6.57 mpg
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is kinda off topic but I REALLY wish someone made a twin screw supercharger for a 351 Windsor platform. If this was available I would buy one without a doubt as long as it was a well engineered product. Whipple / Kennebell and TVS need to step up! You would have insane amounts of power and be able to run a 351 or 351 stroked motor.....the gas mileage would be great and the exhaust wouldn't be muffled like a turbo setup.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
This is kinda off topic but I REALLY wish someone made a twin screw supercharger for a 351 Windsor platform. If this was available I would buy one without a doubt as long as it was a well engineered product. Whipple / Kennebell and TVS need to step up! You would have insane amounts of power and be able to run a 351 or 351 stroked motor.....the gas mileage would be great and the exhaust wouldn't be muffled like a turbo setup.
Easily done:
1. Weiand Supercharger: https://www.holley.com/products/supe...ts/77-174FSB-1 (Or any other 302W supercharger kit)
2. Price Motorsports adapters (351W Block,351 Windsor Heads, 302 Intake): AP-01 and AP-04

You'd need a different drive belt than comes with the 302W supercharger kits, but that s/b easy.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I guess I understand being concerned about gas mileage with one of these cars. If I was getting 8MPG while other similar set ups got 15, I'd try to find a good carb tuner and then let it go at that, or buy a Prius to average out...

When I got away from my snorting 496 BBC, and its 12 I got this tiny little 289 and was disappointed with its 15MPG, but then its being fed by all those Webers, its running good, so I just bite the bullet and when my friends with their FI 302s brag about 27 MPG, I just raise the hood, and they shut up.
cycleguy55 and Millsy like this.

Last edited by Karl Bebout; 06-13-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
I guess I understand being concerned about gas mileage with one of these cars. If I was getting 8MPG while other similar set ups got 15, I'd try to find a good carb tuner and then let it go at that, or buy a Prius to average out...

When I got away from my snorting 496 BBC, and its 12 I got this tiny little 289 and was disappointed with its 15MPG, but then its being fed by all those Webers, its running good, so I just bite the bullet and when my friends with their FI 302s brag about 27 MPG, I just raise the hood, and they shut up.
I agree. I don't want to change my carb, since the new one will have to be set up as well, so I'll be back at the start in some way.

Will look into finding a competent tuner to make the most out of What I have, fully knowing it's not built to save fuel but to burn it.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Easily done:
1. Weiand Supercharger: https://www.holley.com/products/supe...ts/77-174FSB-1 (Or any other 302W supercharger kit)
2. Price Motorsports adapters (351W Block,351 Windsor Heads, 302 Intake): AP-01 and AP-04

You'd need a different drive belt than comes with the 302W supercharger kits, but that s/b easy.

Let us know how it turns out.
Alright Brian....you got me. I don't think you can get a Weiand under the stock hood and I wouldn't want to look like a 69 camaro. I was talking more about the new twin screw setups from the last 10 years that you find on the Mustang and Corvette market . I think a big problem with the Windsor is the distributor in the front. I'm going to check that link out......I knew from looking at Weiand's in the past that they didn't offer a 351W kit. Do you think the 174 series would support 427CI.....it looks like a pretty small blower. With enough money I know someone could fab up a way to get a whipple or kennebell style setup. There used to be a company called B&H superchargers that had a Windsor conversion but I don't think they are in business anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
I agree. I don't want to change my carb, since the new one will have to be set up as well, so I'll be back at the start in some way.

Will look into finding a competent tuner to make the most out of What I have, fully knowing it's not built to save fuel but to burn it.
Get hooked up with a good tuner and I think you will be satisfied to a point.

Last edited by Ace23; 06-13-2016 at 04:13 PM..