Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Superformance MKII, Riverside Racer 289 FIA vintage race car (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/137729-superformance-mkii-riverside-racer-289-fia-vintage-race-car.html)

Sawdust 03-29-2019 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1459384)
John,

Where have you purchased the EBC brake pads for the cobras from? I have found it difficult to find competition brake pads for the cobra. Thanks. One of these days I would like to make it out to the west coast for a vintage race and would like to stop by and visit. Let me know if you are ever on the east coast.

Jim

Jim
Here are two sources for EBC Brakes:
EBC Brakes Homepage
www.tdotperformance.ca

Good luck!
Stu.

1795 04-04-2019 04:56 PM

It runs!

Received a short video from Fitzgerald Brothers, the engine is on the engine stand and running. Plan remains that Darryl will dyno tune it Saturday afternoon and I will go there Sunday morning, we will do a couple of pulls and then load the engine in my truck for the ride home. I am going to see if i can attach the short video.

https://youtu.be/LmPoRwlaL1M

Jim

CompClassics 04-04-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris (Post 1412100)
OK Jim

Here we go..... I'm only going to suggest things we did when we were racing against the A/P and B/P cars ... like you I didn't have all of the money, so I had to figure out how to do modifications on my own .... As luck would have it, we learned a lot and had much more confidence in the car when we got on the track. It is a great feeling when you win and have built or modified the vehicle you are driving.

Since you showed the Rear End.... here's some photo's of what you may want to consider ....

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Mods_4.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Mods_6.JPG

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/Mods_7.JPG

One of the problems we encountered was filling up our catch can on the rear end .... and we found out that the oil was going out the breather or vent hose into the catch can .... and then would not return to the diff.... then we would damage the differential.....

These are the mods we did to fix that issue...

These are the things we did to KMP259 as well and it has proven very successful.

I just had this same exact issue happen to a CSX6000 Series Continuation Cobra that I completed for a client. The oil pumped out of the differential and out of the catch can and now the the differential has a noise. The car has less than 1500 miles on it and the manufacturer refuses to stand behind their product even though the manufacturer of the differential they installed has told them repeatedly they need to vent the differential differently. Needless to say that my client is not to happy with the way the manufacturer has dropped this problem into his lap on a very expensive purchase.

xb-60 04-05-2019 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1460145)
Received a short video from Fitzgerald Brothers, the engine is on the engine stand and running. Plan remains that Darryl will dyno tune it Saturday afternoon and I will go there Sunday morning, we will do a couple of pulls and then load the engine in my truck for the ride home. I am going to see if i can attach the short video.

https://youtu.be/LmPoRwlaL1M

Jim

Sounds great Jim....and idles nicely too.

Cheers,
Glen

1795 04-05-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1460152)
I just had this same exact issue happen to a CSX6000 Series Continuation Cobra that I completed for a client. The oil pumped out of the differential and out of the catch can and now the the differential has a noise. The car has less than 1500 miles on it and the manufacturer says they are not responsible for the way they assembled the car prior to my receiving it. The manufacturer stated that they had never seen this happen before, obviously not.

Having done the modifications that Morris suggested, no problems at all with differential oil coming out and filling the catch can. Even running at high rpms the catch can is empty.

Alfa02 04-05-2019 06:18 AM

Good Lord Jim, she sounds healthy! Just remember Slow in, Fast out (no understeer) , and with the new Webers sucking (The sound of them doing their job, is heaven) to make HP, now the tires will be a factor (Oversteer). There is nothing more fun then driving with the throttle!!! Oh what fun you'll have, my friend, Cheers Tom.

CompClassics 04-05-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1460155)
Having done the modifications that Morris suggested, no problems at all with differential oil coming out and filling the catch can. Even running at high rpms the catch can is empty.

It was great that you caught this perfect example of poor engineering and design prior to loosing a very expensive component. As I explained to the manufacturer "what good is it that the gear oil is in the catch can (not to mention the oil that spewed out from the catch can) while the differential is operating, doesn't the gear oil need to be in the differential to maintain the proper capacity for operation?" I find it even more negligent that the manufacturer of the differential had instructed the manufacturer of the vehicle how the differential venting system needed to be installed and the vehicle manufacturer neglected to follow the differential manufacturers directions. As the manufacturer explained to me "there is many ways to do something...", well I guess they proved how to do something........the wrong way.

1795 04-05-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1460157)
It was great that you caught this perfect example of poor engineering and design prior to loosing a very expensive component. As I explained to the manufacturer "what good is it that the gear oil is in the catch can (not to mention the oil that spewed out from the catch can) while the differential is operating, doesn't the gear oil need to be in the differential to maintain the proper capacity for operation?" I find it even more negligent that the manufacturer of the differential had instructed the manufacturer of the vehicle how the differential venting system needed to be installed and the vehicle manufacturer neglected to follow the differential manufacturers directions. As the manufacturer explained to me "there is many ways to do something...", well I guess they proved how to do something........the wrong way.

John,

What is most disheartening is the lack of culpability. We all make mistakes or misjudgments, honor is in accepting responsibility and making amends.

I will say that just in case there was some differential oil making its way to the catch can, I had the inlet from the differential inserted into the bottom of the catch can so that fluid could return to the diff once pressure lessened.

Jim

CompClassics 04-05-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1460173)
John,

What is most disheartening is the lack of culpability. We all make mistakes or misjudgments, honor is in accepting responsibility and making amends.

I will say that just in case there was some differential oil making its way to the catch can, I had the inlet from the differential inserted into the bottom of the catch can so that fluid could return to the diff once pressure lessened.

Jim

It really doesn't do the differential any good if the gear oil is forced into the catch can while driving for long periods of time as the gear oil isn't where it needs to be to properly lubricate the critical areas of the differential. Once you stop the car and what fluid that didn't spew out of the catch can is drained back into the differential what good does that do, the differential is no longer in use. When you start driving the car again the fluid is again forced out of the differential and into the catch can again, plus you have the added issue of the loss of oil that had previously spewed out of the differential from the previous drive or drives. Not all of the people that drive these cars pay attention to what is going on with their cars And may be oblivious as to what is going on with them. From what I was told by the manufacturer of the differential is that it takes very little fluid loss to start damaging the differential, so now you have lost fluid and fluid in a can where it does not belong especially when driving. In short if your differential has a predetermined amount of gear oil that it requires for operation that oil belongs in a place where it does the most good not in a can on the shelf to be put in later.

1795 04-06-2019 05:02 AM

John,

Point well taken.

Jim

1795 04-07-2019 05:24 PM

Dyno runs!!

Spent the day driving 6 hours each way to pick up the 289 FIA engine from Darryl Fitzgerald and witness a couple fo dyno runs. Darryl had called me yesterday to let me know that they had been tuning the engine on the dyno and that the results were pretty good. He said that the previous engine was more than likely operating in about the 350 hp range based upon the build. He said that they were getting 370 HP and 330 ft lbs of torque on my engine with the Webers, which he thought was pretty good considering it has iron heads, a stock crank and stock stroke. I was hoping for a little more, but that is better than it was. So I told myself that it was making consistent HP as compared to the cobras racing back in the 60's and went to go get my engine.

Darryl and I went over to where the dyno shop was and we got ready for the first pull. The dyno operator ran the engine up to 3500 rpms and then shut it down. He said that the engine was not making power. We became a little concerned and removed the valve covers to check the valve lash. all was in order, there did not seem to be any leaks. They then tested the throttle lever on the dyno and it was barely moving the throttle. The throttle lever for the dyno had come loose. it was tightened and the next run went smoothly. Everyone was happy, and I looked over at the dyno and noticed that with the full use of the Webers the engine produced 362 ftlbs of torque and 424 HP.:eek::3DSMILE:

We did a second run and got the same results. A nice flat torque curve from 4500-6500 rpms. I am a happy camper! It will be fun getting used to all that power. Love those Webers.

Here are links to the last to pulls on the dyno, crank up the volume and enjoy. The video was taken from outside the dyno room, so it is a little blurred by the plexiglass.

I took a picture of the dyno sheet.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...=18259&thumb=1

Https://youtu.be/Wgm3LMrQvPM

Https://youtu.be/rHo7ARK3_Xw

Jim

1795 06-01-2019 09:32 AM

Engine finally installed!

Let me tell you balancing building a new house and putting back together a race car at the same time, while keeping my family happy has been hectic. :eek: The house is processing, the wife and kids are happy (or at least not complaining too loudly and often) and the engine and transmission are re-installed. Did not have much help and had to fit things in when the time was right for me. Installed the engine by myself, took a little longer than what it would have with help. A bit of a pain being underneath the car on jack stands and maneuvering the engine so that the motor mounts lined up, but got it all done in a couple of hours. Had my brother in-law help me with the transmission. He helped hold the tail while I laid on my back underneath the car and bench pressed that top loader way more times than I would have liked before it finally lined up and went in. Just turned 60 and ws pretty proud of myself for being able to do that.

Getting everything back together now. Will be working on the interior today and performing some maintenance. First race is only a few weeks away.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...=18356&thumb=1

cobrakiwi 06-01-2019 09:48 AM

Looking sweet, also looking forward to your feedback and opinion on the Weber induction.
Best of luck with the upcoming racing season.:)

xb-60 06-01-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1462565)
....engine and transmission are re-installed.....Installed the engine by myself, took a little longer than what it would have with help. A bit of a pain being underneath the car on jack stands and maneuvering the engine so that the motor mounts lined up, but got it all done in a couple of hours. Had my brother in-law help me with the transmission. He helped hold the tail while I laid on my back underneath the car and bench pressed that top loader way more times than I would have liked before it finally lined up and went in.....]

Wow. I know how much a Toploader weighs Jim. I wouldn't like to get stuck under one!

Good luck with the first race :)

Cheers,
Glen

Moto One 06-03-2019 07:45 AM

A big Gold Star for you Jim, it always seems like friends go missing when its time for some heavy lifting. I'v been removing and installing a C5 Z06 Trans/Torque Tube/Rear sub frame with axels/brakes/suspension two to three times a year on my T-1 car. Surprisingly how handy a skateboard is... Last year I have now found it easer to peace meal them in. its still good exercise keeping the arms/shoulders in shape. Are you registered for any races this season?

Mark.

Mark.

1795 06-03-2019 09:55 AM

Mark,

Yes, they do disappear when the real work comes out. Lucily my son and his friend were around yesterday morning to hold the hood up for me while I re-attached i. NO way that you can do that job by yourself.

I will be leaving in a couple of weeks for Mid Ohio, and then will be doing the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and SAAC event in early July. The final race right now will be at Watkins Glen in September for the US Vintage Grand Prix.

Jim

1795 06-24-2019 10:16 AM

Mid Ohio Vintage Grand Prix video

Well, back home after a long trip to Mid Ohio. Met some new friends and had a great time, but am exhausted. First time out this year, so a little rusty, but made steady gains on each session. The new engine ran great, need to make a couple of minor changes to the jetting as I was running more towards the lean side. The plugs weren't white, but they were not tan either and the engine seemed to run hotter than normal. Upping the jetting to the next size larger jets.

I have attached one video and I need to take a look at the brakes and rotors, seemed to be a little bit of squeaking there when I was hitting the brakes. Did not notice it when driving, but there was no way I would have heard that over the sound of the engine.

For the first time I had to manage the throttle a little. Several times while going through thunder valley I would accelerate hard in second gear and break the rear end loose. Adjusted my tire pressures thanks to the advice of a fellow racer and immediately dropped my time by 2 seconds in the next session. Started the weekend doing 1:53 laps and finished with a 1:47. Still plenty of room to grow and on later races did keep my right hand on the steering wheel and not resting on the shifter as much as in this video of one of the time trials.

Video link: https://youtu.be/9Rh5eRmYByU

Enjoy.

A special thanks to Blas Castagli and Ross Henry who stoped by on Sunday and helped me with the car getting ready for my last run. Saw some fellow cobra owners at the track on Wednesday and again on Friday.

Jim

Blas 06-24-2019 04:46 PM

Any update on the coolant issue?
Blas

1795 06-24-2019 05:00 PM

Blas,

Did not boil out as much water the last race. I think that it was due to the higher pressure radiator cap. I am thinking that the increased temp for the coolant was secondary to the engine running on the lean side, and we finally got all of the air bled out of the system. I am going to put in the next size larger jets and then test that theory at home. I have a couple of weeks until Pitt race. Also am going to see what I can do about getting better ducting to the brake rotors as there were times when the brakes would fade some and then I would have to start braking early. A course like Mid Ohio is tougher on brakes as you are hitting the brakes almost every 20 seconds with the only long pause on the back straight.

Speaking of the back straight, it seemed to get shorter with the new engine.

Jim

Blas 06-24-2019 08:09 PM

I would still run a pressure test on the cooling system. You can probably get a loaner tool from Autozone. Also consider a catch-can setup that returns fluid.
Blas