Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 4 Post By FUNFER2

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default 460 In Your 427 Cobra

I have a Lone Star Cobra and because of the high cost of FE engines/parts today, I'm thinking about using a 460 this time. I see that many of Superformance Cobra owners have 460's.

According to some 460 vs FE measurment graphs, their the same accept that the 460 is two inch's longer.

I really do not want to cut out my hood scoop, make/buy a taller one and repaint the top, underneith, including my custom pearl white stripes.

The big HP and bottom TQ of a 460/514/557cid and it's intoxicating ,....torque, would be all out fun on the street and race track !

When you compare the build cost vs power between the two engines, the 460 wins by a long shot.

Here's the issue. If the 460 would fit in the engine bay without major problems, great, but you know how most projects go. lol

Whem I built my 428FE years ago I used the Edelbrock RPM intake, the when I rebuilt it I bought the Edelbrock Air Gap, and it required shaving 3/8" off the carb surface, so when he few people I've talked to said, "don't worry, I've never heard Cobra owners say anything about it not fitting under their hood"

Well again, you know how that goes.

What do you guys think and how do you like the 460 in your Cobra ?
In fact, give me details on the specs of yours, how you like it and would you do it again.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I had a 514(460 block) in my old superformance and was a tight fit and with medium riser intake no room for an air cleaner. With a low rise intake I got a tiny thin round air cleaner without having to cut the hood.

I miss that car. With 650 ft lbs of torque it was a beast
Old 07-17-2017, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Are you ever really gonna buy anything?
Dwight and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I had a 514(460 block) in my old superformance and was a tight fit and with medium riser intake no room for an air cleaner. With a low rise intake I got a tiny thin round air cleaner without having to cut the hood.

I miss that car. With 650 ft lbs of torque it was a beast
Did you use the drop base air cleaner ?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Are you ever really gonna buy anything?

Tony, not that it means anything, but why does it matter to you ?
Is there a time date on how long it takes us to buy,.... anything ?
It shouldn't bother you at all.

You owning a csx Shelby and a Roush engine, you're a lot,.....better off than I am, so we can't just call them up like you did, order the extreme cost of a real Shelby and Roush to build a engine, forking up the cash saying build it. We have to be very cautious with funds and how we spend it. We can't put an engine together and deside we want to change it, and spend more money that we don't have.

It's a hard decision choosing another FE or 460. Price is a big issue.
What HP/TQ.

On and on,.....I'm gonna take my time, shop around, visit many forums, talk to owners of each type of engines, seek out different engine builders etc,....nothing wrong with that.
cobrakiwi, Gaz64, ACademic and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-18-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Even the drop base didn't fit on that car. We ended up just bolting on the top hat to the air cleaner that was a K&N. That car was a beast and as much or more fun to drive than my 511 Roush that costs 5 x more and it was more streetable. No way would I ever buy a roush motor again but I would buy what is now the ford racing 521 based on the 460 in a heartbeat, just know getting any air cleaner to fit is a pain
Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some photo's would be great.

If I could get the power of the 460/514/521/557 etc, with a FE for about the same price, it would not be an issue, FE all the way. I'm doing a lot of research and trying hard, to get more power than I had with my 428, 500 HP at the crank. Like I've mentioned in other threads, I'm a retired sprint car racer so I need more power.

When Brian owned Lone Star he told me that the turkey pan will hit the hood, and I was pissed, asking why ? Crazy, so I'm concerned with a 460. I wish somebody had the plastic 460 clone to mock it up then send it back.to hime, hell I can't find a used cheap 460 locally to mock it up.

This is only as one example of the power vs cost, I don't see how a FE can come close ?

The dyno numbers may not be real honest but.....
Very good parts too.

Stock ford block cnc machined and blue-printed with main girdle
Eagle forged 4340 steel crankshaft
Eagle H beam b connecting bods with ARP 7/16 rod bolts
JE 10.0:1 Pistons
Total Seal piston ring set
Clevite 77 Bearings
Kevko front sump oil pan
Melling oil pump
SA Gear billet timing set
New Timing Cover
Pro Race SFI Harmonic Balancer
Ford Oil Filter Adapter
CNC Custom Hydraulic roller camshaft
Crower hydraulic roller Lifters
Trick Flow A460 Aluminum cylinder heads
Ferrea / Manley valves
Comp Cams springs, locks, and retainers
Trend Pushrods
Comp Cams Ultra Pro magnum roller rockers
Jomar stud girdle
CNC Valve Covers
Trick Flow intake manifold
ARP Hardware
Fel-Pro Gaskets
100% Machined, balanced, assembled and blue printed in-house.
Dyno tested before we ship
660+ Horsepower, 630+ Torque (to over 700 HP)

Apx. $13,300.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-18-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have the 514 in my SPF. Tight fit, but fits.

Last edited by scootter; 07-18-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

at $13k It would be a no brainer for me. I love the FE but the 514 has 150 more real horsepower and costs half as much and will be even more bulletproof. In the time I owned my SPF, I beat the crap out of it in ways I would dream of with my Roush due to cost and reliability. You will not regret it as the torque is unbelievable. I could lay down rubber for 100 feet with my 514. Have I mentioned I missed that car
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

460's are just better!
No they are not "THE ORIGINAL STYLE of MOTOR"
But they are all around better.

Jason
Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
I have a Lone Star Cobra and because of the high cost of FE engines/parts today, I'm thinking about using a 460 this time. I see that many of Superformance Cobra owners have 460's.

According to some 460 vs FE measurment graphs, their the same accept that the 460 is two inch's longer.

I really do not want to cut out my hood scoop, make/buy a taller one and repaint the top, underneith, including my custom pearl white stripes.

The big HP and bottom TQ of a 460/514/557cid and it's intoxicating ,....torque, would be all out fun on the street and race track !

When you compare the build cost vs power between the two engines, the 460 wins by a long shot.

Here's the issue. If the 460 would fit in the engine bay without major problems, great, but you know how most projects go. lol

Whem I built my 428FE years ago I used the Edelbrock RPM intake, the when I rebuilt it I bought the Edelbrock Air Gap, and it required shaving 3/8" off the carb surface, so when he few people I've talked to said, "don't worry, I've never heard Cobra owners say anything about it not fitting under their hood"

Well again, you know how that goes.

What do you guys think and how do you like the 460 in your Cobra ?
In fact, give me details on the specs of yours, how you like it and would you do it again.
Here you go, hood clearance issue solved:

https://speedmaster79.com/pce1481084...midu0pldqhqvl4
Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

I would have no issue with a 385 series engine and almost did it. I had a 427windsor and decided my money could go much further on the car at this point if I did not go the 385 swap. I really wanted to focus on making the entire car better and decided against throwing a huge motor in it. The past year the car has been completely transformed. If i were you I would completely stay away from crate engines and be talking to lance at Craft Racing or Brent Lykins with Lykins motorsports. I see that you have a ton of post and have not purchased anything so it sounds like you can afford to save/wait. If it were me I woudl spend the extra money on the 460 motorsport block and punch it out to 598ci and build it less radical.

Below is what I was able to change on my car instead of just changing the engine.....also consider putting that large of a motor in one of these and using it is going to find some weak points. I will know shortly but I compensated for the lack of the big block with adding some serious gear to the car with the 427.....I assume it is going to be a handful.

*refresh of existing dart block 427 but with Brent Lykins cam spec
*new 1 7/8th header built
*3" Firefly side pipes
*polished victor jr, water pump etc
*replaced almost every bolt under the hood with stainless
*new air cleaner
*swapped most of AN fitting out
*T56 swap, new clutch, QT bellhousing
*chromoly 31 spline axles and rear gear swap
*15" wheels from vintage and new tires