Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
That might not be the best advice for a Windsor engine.

At 0*C, a 15w-50 oil has a viscosity of 1328
At 0*C, a 0w-30 oil has a viscosity of 475.

During a cold start, I would certainly want the lower viscosity. Get that oil up and moving as quickly as possible.

As for a 50 weight oil, a well built Windsor just doesn't need it. It should easily be able to maintain proper oil pressure with a 30 weight. The viscosity difference at 100*C is about 80%. It takes energy to move that extra thick oil around.
Not many of us start our Cobras at 0°C, though I must admit I have started mine at temperatures not much warmer than that. Your point on lower viscosity at startup is well taken, however. The previous owner of my car advised me to use 20W50 (probably because of the various leaks), but I switched it to 5W30 and it seems quite happy. I get 70-80 PSI on cold start fast idle, and hot idle is about 25 PSI. Now that I've fixed the most egregious leaks (sucking oil past intake gaskets, upper half of main seal installed backwards, bellhousing bolt into engine valley not sealed) my oil consumption is WAY down, even with the 5W30.

BTW, not only does it take more energy to move thick oil around, it's also a lot harder to get proper lubrication in fine clearances with a 15 or 20 weight oil than a 0 or 5 weight oil. As many have written, the majority of wear occurs on startup, and a thinner oil provides GREATER protection due to its ability to flow into those narrow spaces.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Can you just answer me this what came first the chicken or the egg, because I do not know. I do know delo 15/40 { 300,000 miles} pulling trailers now on 3rd transmission but never touched the motor still runs great in my 7.3 powerstroke. I also use it in my 351w 427 stroker even in my jeep 4.0 high output and have had no issues. in any of these vehicles.I have read all kinds of good and bad about it do what you want I am telling you what I am doing and yes I have done plenty of research on the 15/40 delo
and again I say dam good oil high quality base stocks big budget testing with top engineers /scientist doing the testing. Go Blue Go Chevron!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
Can you just answer me this what came first the chicken or the egg, because I do not know.
The chicken evolved from egg laying reptiles.
1795, hauss and FredG like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

HR1 15W-50 Conventional Hot Rod Oil

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
HR1 15W-50 Conventional Hot Rod Oil
Rarely - if ever - recommended for a street Windsor.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 11-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

… and if anyone is curious, I run Brad Penn 15w-40 in my FE, along with one bottle of the old GM EOS (remember I have a SFT cam). I have a SCAT stroker crank, my mains are .003", my rods are .0028", and I run a remote filter and oil cooler as well, usually covered. I almost never even start the car unless it's at least in the sixties. And I have the high volume pump (preferring flow over pressure).

Last edited by patrickt; 11-22-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Old 11-23-2019, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

The only oil advice I have followed is the one from Roush. In the past with other vehicles I have always been partial to synthetics. Their advice was no synthetics for the first 3k miles. Car is 5 years old with 2600 miles. Almost there.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
The only oil advice I have followed is the one from Roush. In the past with other vehicles I have always been partial to synthetics. Their advice was no synthetics for the first 3k miles. Car is 5 years old with 2600 miles. Almost there.
Almost there?

All those cold starts for such low mileage, I would change oil every 6 months.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 11-23-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 11-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My last oil change was at the four year interval. Yep, four years and it probably didn't even need it then.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Change

I have had the car for a year and have changed the oil 3 times.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Of course she sits in a climate controlled garage 99% of the time and I send off samples regularly to monitor for wear particles, ZDDP levels, the presence of water, coolant, or fuel and to watch the TBN value. The latter is 10.6 for Brad Penn right out of the bottle, and I believe it was down to 8.8 when I changed it. And if you're thinking, "gosh, wouldn't it be cheaper to just change the oil more often?" you'd be absolutely right... but not as much fun.
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-24-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Old 11-24-2019, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Of course she sits in a climate controlled garage 99% of the time and I send off samples regularly to monitor for wear particles, ZDDP levels, the presence of water, coolant, or fuel and to watch the TBN value. The latter is 10.6 for Brad Penn right out of the bottle, and I believe it was down to 8.8 when I changed it. And if you're thinking, "gosh, wouldn't it be cheaper to just change the oil more often?" you'd be absolutely right... but not as much fun.
I still think my oil is cleaner than yours because I change it more.Remember they do not test for everything just some things.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post
I still think my oil is cleaner than yours because I change it more.Remember they do not test for everything just some things.
Naah, if it's important then it's on the list... including plain old dirt. Plus, if you've got antifreeze in your oil, or even a high level of fuel, then you need to know it... even if you're changing your oil every other weekend. It's more important to know what's in your oil, and how your oil behaves over time, than it is to just blindly change it at a given interval. Unless, of course, you own a Jiffy Lube franchise, then you want to encourage people to blindly change their oil as often as possible.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Patrick...Having the oil checked sounds like a good thing to do. I have my
blood tested once a year, so why not my oil... which is sort of the blood of the
car. Who do you send your sample it to, what does it cost and what does their
diagnostic form back to you actually look like? I'm sure the results
give you a pretty good snap-shot of engine health if it reveals things like
oil and gas being present where they should not be.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Coyle View Post
Who do you send your sample it to, what does it cost and what does their diagnostic form back to you actually look like?
I have sent my samples to Blackstone Labs for over a decade. There's a little form on their website to ask for free sample bottles (yes, just like going to the urologist) and the cost is about $35. Here's a sample PDF report from them (this is not mine, I just Googled for it). https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c...cooled-BMW.pdf But what they also do is pull your file and go over previous tests for the same engine and then red flag any trends they don't like or anything that they're going to be watching for in the future. Kind of like what your doctor does with your weight, cholesterol, A1C numbers, etc.
Mongoose930 likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I like this chart. It makes recommendations for oil viscosity based on your bearing clearances and oil operating temperatures. https://camtechcams.com.au/media/342...ance_Flyer.pdf
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance (SPO1400) with a 392 (w) stroker and have been using Royal Purple HPS 10-30 with a Moroso oil filter. I have had to car going on six years now. Runs great...
Old 12-03-2019, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Maybe a stupid question, but my engine builder recommends 20-50 Valvoline, which I run in my 427 FE. My garage is not heated and the temps are in the 35 to 40 degree range here in PA. Will I run the risk of snapping the oil pump shaft or spinning a bearing if I try to start my engine in these temps? The reason I want to start it is a friend who owns a car dealership wants to put it in his showroom which is heated and I would like it in the controlled environment and have the extra space in my garage.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB60 View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but my engine builder recommends 20-50 Valvoline, which I run in my 427 FE. My garage is not heated and the temps are in the 35 to 40 degree range here in PA. Will I run the risk of snapping the oil pump shaft or spinning a bearing if I try to start my engine in these temps? The reason I want to start it is a friend who owns a car dealership wants to put it in his showroom which is heated and I would like it in the controlled environment and have the extra space in my garage.
Just don't rev it too hard until you see the oil temp gauge move up a bit.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB60 View Post
Not a real problem. When cold, it's a 20w. It won't be thick enough to snap a drive shaft. It will take a while to build pressure and lube everything. Give it a few minutes in the garage to get the temps up before driving it.

If you have an oil cooler, cover it up.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto