Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jstinson

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III, 396 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Front end wobble

I purchased a Superformance (633) recently and discovered a wobble in the steering wheel that was slight a low speeds but became stronger at 70 mph - went away at 80 mph. It felt like a front wheel out of balance. I needed some new tires anyway so I put them on got them balanced, new alignment, and the wobble is still there at 70 mph. I'm thinking its still an out of balance problem where a brake rotor or other part of the rotating spindle is out of balance.

Does this happen often in Cobras? Do I need to replace the rotors? I am looking for a place that will spin balance the mounted wheels the way it was done 30 - 40 years ago but have had no luck.

Suggestions?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a similar issue I chased for quite awhile. Turned out it was the Pin drive hub adapters were out of balance. Balancing the wheels with with the Pin drive adapters attached and making note of the indexing to wheel location for re installation on the car is critical.

This thread details it further. BDR vibration issue finally fixed
Old 05-26-2020, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting! Was it easy to remove the Pin drive hub adapters?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I fought with this for years until I read an article on "match mounting" wheels. I used this information and have not had an issue since.
In short, it is mounting the wheel/tire combination and finding the high spot on the tire, then removing and rotating the tire one lug/pin at a time until the high spot is at minimum. Then the lug/pin can be marked along with the wheel to enable easy matching afterwards when removing the wheel.

This technique made mine as smooth as glass. The light weight and the wide tires on these vehicles seem to exacerbate the problem.

This was all after balancing multiple times on various machines "road force etc..." and new tires and wheels without success. Had a wobble that would come and go depending on when I went around a curve. It was worse at speed. At times it was almost gone but would come back after going around a corner. The tire place told me it was one of my wheels. It wasn't until I bought new wheels (which were perfect) and tested runout without tires that I realized the hubs have a small amount of runout along with the tires that was causing the problem. In my case it wasn't really the hub, but the studs were slightly off center.

Last edited by lnfletcher; 05-26-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Pin drive lug nuts on mine are 12mm Allen key. Easy to remove
Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I had a similar problem with my CCX. Turned out the spindles in the rear were 1/4 inch smaller than the inside of the hub. I had spacers made to compensate and problems solved.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Find a tire shop that has a Hunter Road Force tire balance machine and has a trained tech that knows how to properly use it.
I chased the same problem you have for years. Finally found a guy that mounts and balances tires for race cars using the Hunter Road Force Elite machine. Smooth as glass now.
Start here. Most Discount tire stores have the machine, but few employees really know how to use them properly. Ask the manager if anyone is an expert on the machine, if not, find one that is.

Last edited by jhv48; 05-27-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Old 05-27-2020, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

In addition, balance the tires at your normal inflation pressure not the normal recommended pressure. I run 22 to 25 lbs max depending on the type of driving I’m doing.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-27-2020, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

if you can find a shop that can shave the tires that should solve the problem.

We have chased the wobble problem on several Cobras. We've had driveshafts rebalanced, tires balanced (several times) checked rotors, you name but it was always the tires were out of round and not balanced correctly.

We have one shop in two counties that can shave a tire and only two people that know how to do it.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

One of my front Avons was so bad Sasco swapped it out for another- wobble instantly cured.

-Dave
Old 05-28-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slipped belt on a front tire.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the advice. It worked!

I took the front tires back to the tire store had them re-balanced with a more experienced tech who found a difference in both tires. Then back at my shop I created a jig to measure the diameter of each tire finding the "high point" and then with my Cobra still on the jack stands, I rotated each hub finding the low point and match mounted the tire/wheel combo high point with the hubs's low point. I now have a smooth ride!
1795 likes this.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 521 CID
Not Ranked     

If you need an alignment, I would highly recommend Thalmann Alignment in Northbrook. They did a great job on my car.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

It’s only warped rotors if it happens under braking.

Check tire balance first then other stuff
Old 06-20-2020, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

A good wheel shop should have a balancer that can balance the wheel whilst on the car....
Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you figured it out. I had mine forced balanced etc. It was always the same shimmy at higher speeds. I just rotated mine tires one pin at a time, one tire at a time till it was gone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: