Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Jim.....

The car did what it is supposed to do.....first issue is don’t downshift from 3rd to 2nd.....that is when you lost control of the chassis.....the nose did not go down....which told me if you did stab your brakes....you don’t have your brakes balanced ....

Smooth is fast around any track....you were not going fast enough into the corner so you thought you should downshift.....wrong.....just leave it in 3rd gear and tap the brake pedal....just makes you feel good....then apply the power and let the motor pull you through the apex....then full throttle past the apex and exit the corner.....in the higher gear and the torque of the motor smooth steering input....you will be surprised how fast you can go thru the corner and exit speed will be much higher.

Also get some brake paint and paint your rotors ....run the session then pull the wheels and see how hot the front rotors are and see how hot the rear rotors are.....you want about a 200* degree difference.....

But you will need to go faster to get the brakes up to temperature......you were just cruising....you need to step it up and start pushing the car and yourself......you were not going fast enough with that car.....just my opinion....;-)
eschaider, 1795 and SGwick like this.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Morris,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I agree that I could have driven that course faster. I have ben trying to focus on getting quicker, in general the car handles very well, except when you do stupid things....As I was applying the brakes, I was letting the clutch out and I mistakenly connected the two without realizing that it was the downshift at too high of a speed that caused the problem. The brakes are balanced and the nose does dive if I apply hard. I will get some brake paint and paint the rotors to see what that provides.

Things happen so quickly that my initial reaction was, "i just have stabbed the brakes too hard". That's the nice thing about the new video system that I am using, it provides some data that then helps me understand things better. More than just a video. The other confounding factor was that I was alone for the weekend with no crew and it was hot and muggy. Was thoroughly exhausted most of the time and had just enough time to prep the car between sessions. The next race I will have some trackside support so that should help.

Always appreciate your input.

Jim
Morris, xb-60 and desgros@vtlink. like this.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I am no expert but spent my whole life in the dirt were I believe anyone who is going to race should learn to control a car or a motorcycle. What I saw and what has also happened to me,in my own car on the street, was to much engine braking (high performance motor ) locking up the rear.I have learned stab the clutch or shift to neutral and rail the corner.I am sure their will be plenty of other opinions and folks who will tell me I am wrong but let me just say it is what works for me. good luck
Old 02-08-2021, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

After watching the video, I was wondering why downshift from 3rd to 2nd? You are just asking for trouble. Also it seems as if you have too much front brake bias as well...