Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blas

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2005 B&B Manufacturing
Not Ranked     
Default 2000 Superformance VIN info

Could anyone give me any info on a car I have, It has a tag under the hood on the passenger side firewall the reads " Distributed by Superformance, INC. Cincinnatti, Ohio, USA. COBRA POWERED BY FORD Chassis # K1399AM1661
(My tag has the Cobra snake on the right hand portion of the tag.)

There is also a Illinois state affixed VIN tag above that that reads: SOS304346ILL
All I have for paperwork for the car is an Illinois salvage certificate that has "1974" next to the SOS304346ILL and "2000" next to the K1399AM1661 number. Both numbers are on the certificate.

As I read different posts on Superformance cars, I notice them referred to with a SPF XXXX. Is there any way to trace the history of my car based on the firewall tag? I have done a nationwide dmv search and that shows no hits.

Last edited by Edelbroke; 05-17-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

The car in question is chassis #661 built in 1999. It may have been first titled later than 1999 due to shipping, drivetrain and showroom floor time. Superformance changed their VIN number layouts a few times over the years. Feel free to contact me directly via message or en
Mail with any other questions.
Blas
Alfa02 and Edelbroke like this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
The car in question is chassis #661 built in 1999. It may have been first titled later than 1999 due to shipping, drivetrain and showroom floor time. Superformance changed their VIN number layouts a few times over the years. Feel free to contact me directly via message or en
Blas
Thank Blas , this is just the reason we belong to Club Cobra, without people like Blas, this gentleman could go month's even years without the info he needed. I have learned more about my car, plus getting the parts I needed to finish my car (one that hasn't been built in 20+years), just by asking here, 99% of the needed parts were just given to me, try that at the Porsche, Jag, Vette, etc. club sites. Cheers Tom.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Blas
Blas
Would this SPF have the SPO chassis number stamped on the front cross member by the rad? I know mine does but I'm not sure about the older SPF's

Stu.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Blas
Would this SPF have the SPO chassis number stamped on the front cross member by the rad? I know mine does but I'm not sure about the older SPF's

Stu.
Yes, it does have the number he posted stamped there. I forgot It was there.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelbroke View Post
Yes, it does have the number he posted stamped there. I forgot It was there.
You will also find the same number stamped in two other spots. One on the trunk brackets and the other is on the roll bar near the lowest mounting point in the cockpit near the trans tunnel. And if you’re really adventurous crawl under the passenger side of the dashboard and the early cars (which were built by two-man teams) will have the car build number handwritten in white paint marker pen (and also maybe the names of the two builders, too).
Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The chassis numbers are stamped in many places on the chassis. An easy place to look is under the carpet in the trunk on top of the cover plate for the fuel tank. Many times is is crayoned on the lid also on the sleeves for the convertible top and side curtains. Many time written on back side of dash too. I may have info on the car at home, I’m up a Road America / Elkhart Lake for the races this weekend. I check when I get home and report. And yes, the front crossmember is the main identification point permanently on the chassis. The firewall plate is attached with pop rivets.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 05-18-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Old 05-19-2019, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today I also noticed the 661 number engraved into the inside of the doors (under the door panel area) and each door hinge is stamped either L661 or R661.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelbroke View Post
Today I also noticed the 661 number engraved into the inside of the doors (under the door panel area) and each door hinge is stamped either L661 or R661.
Thanks for the info
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Edelbroke, I sent you a personal message.... Blas

Old 08-18-2020, 07:05 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Blas
mine has a chasis number of SW, have not seen it before, how is that identified?
thank you
Old 08-18-2020, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If it’s a Superformance, my email is below. Send me a photo of the vin plate.
Blas

Old 08-18-2020, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Ok venomac, The photo you sent me was clearly an add-on Shelby cobra plate. And since it was attached to a wood dash yours is definitely not a Superformance. You then followed up again with me and said the previous owner said it was a Factory 5..... Did I miss something ?
Blas

Old 08-18-2020, 05:10 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

"SW" as a prefix comes from a PA state issued VIN and has nothing to do with the specific Cobra manufacturer.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS